RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the stupid award from the Amateur judges at the Jacksonville trial. I got called back from the first series to run the land blind, a 440 yard blind. I was second to run the blind. The judges called me to the line and when I came out of the holding blind, I got half way to the mat when I noticed that the blind planter was still standing where the blind was planted and told the judges. Judges remarks: boy, are you dumb you should have run your dog. Second dumb mistake, was we had to walk down a dike and to be respectful to the handler in front of me, I had a black short sleeve shirt over my white shirt. Stupid me did not notice I had not taken off the black shirt until after I ran the blind.My third stupid mistake was I had the dog to within 10 to 15 yards short of the blind when I stopped him and gave him a come in whistle cast and lost track of where the blind was planted and lost the dog at the end of the blind. When I stopped him, I thought he was long of the blind and a little left of it.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
10 years ago I didn't have this problem but as I've aged I've lost depth perception. Yesterday I lost my dog @~375 yards thinking he was at a point that he wasn't to yet.

I'm using binoc's on all blinds over 300 yards from now on!

·
Registered
987 Posts
When I saw this post I thought this was about the "Field Title" to be given out by the Continental Kennel Club at next weekend's Wildrose British Retriever Challenge?!?!?!?
But not to worry I think anybody in the retriever game (whatever one we do) has a "Stupid Award" story -- whether something as slight as putting a lead on the dog on line OR more serious such as coming to line with a Bark Collar on the dog still OR running the dog without seeing the test first and picking up all the marks cleanly BUT forgetting to run the blind or honouring -- sometimes I think STUPID is spelled "M-I-K-E"

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howard N said:
10 years ago I didn't have this problem but as I've aged I've lost depth perception. Yesterday I lost my dog @~375 yards thinking he was at a point that he wasn't to yet.

Its hard to use binoc's when running a fast dog. I had them, tried to use them and thats when I lost track of where the blind was planted.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Roger Perry said:
Howard N said:

Its hard to use binoc's when running a fast dog. I had them, tried to use them and thats when I lost track of where the blind was planted.
One of them catch 22's. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. :evil: :p

·
Registered
987 Posts
Howard,
I guess corrective eyewear is not an option ????

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
perhaps you're not as stupid as you think, the rules require mandatory elimination for a dog that watches a blind being planted.......

judging point

1. watch each time to be certain the blind is planted

2. watch the blind planter to be certain he/she is hidden

3. have the blind planter wear dark colors or camo just in case you screw up #1 and/or #2 :wink:

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EdA said:
perhaps you're not as stupid as you think, the rules require mandatory elimination for a dog that watches a blind being planted.......

judging point

1. watch each time to be certain the blind is planted

2. watch the blind planter to be certain he/she is hidden

3. have the blind planter wear dark colors or camo just in case you screw up #1 and/or #2 :wink:
After the first dog ran, a handler that did not see the test dog asked if she could view where the blind was planted from the line before I got to the holding blind. The judges asked the blind planter to stand where the blind was planted "for awhile". The judge forgot that the blind planter was still standing there when I was called to the line. Had I not seen the blind planter standing there when I was trying to locate where the blind was planted on my way from the last holding blind to the mat, I would not have noticed until I was on the mat lining up my dog for the send. I'm sure he would have seen the blind planter out in the field.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I get one of those awards too.
I was running a senior dog years ago and she didn't want to sit her butt in the mud, and after telling her 2 or 3 times to sit, i reached down and popped her on the butt and told her to sit. The judges never said a word but the Gallery gave me heck when I walked off the line.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Dang Roger another trophy to add to your collection :lol:

·
Registered
947 Posts
From the topic line I thought you watched me in the Open this weekend.

Roux had a near perfect set of land marks in the Open, and I got us thrown out on the land blind. It was a double blind, and the short one required quick control to keep the dog in the slot. I gave him a very soft "back" command with the whistle in my mouth hoping he would not leave the line at full speed. It worked. He didn't understand me and didn't go at all. Took the whistle out of my mouth and sent softly. He 2-whistled the short blind. We were kicked out for a "no-go".

Lessoned learned regards,
Frank

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Roger Perry said:
The judges called me to the line and when I came out of the holding blind, I got half way to the mat when I noticed that the blind planter was still standing where the blind was planted and told the judges. Judges remarks: boy, are you dumb you should have run your dog. Second dumb mistake, was we had to walk down a dike and to be respectful to the handler in front of me, I had a black short sleeve shirt over my white shirt. Stupid me did not notice I had not taken off the black shirt until after I ran the blind.My third stupid mistake was I had the dog to within 10 to 15 yards short of the blind when I stopped him and gave him a come in whistle cast and lost track of where the blind was planted and lost the dog at the end of the blind. When I stopped him, I thought he was long of the blind and a little left of it.

To bad someone call good sportsmanship stupid on first case now the second and third is just horse racing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts