RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who are the very successful trainers out there that have had success with female dogs. Would prefer a trainer who also campaigns the dogs. Preferably in the upper/lower midwest. One that comes to mind is Amy Hunt. Who are the others?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
15,660 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Mike Lardy, Andy Attar, .
Mike and Andy made their name on having fast, stylish bitches on their truck at a time when no one else in the country did... and being able to train a sensitive more intelligent dog... at a time when everyone else was talking "bottom".

then mike come out with that whole TRT collar training gig.... and let others learn his technique... often emulated, never quite duplicated.... although the others named are talented in their own right.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike and Andy made their name on having fast, stylish bitches on their truck at a time when no one else in the country did... and being able to train a sensitive more intelligent dog... at a time when everyone else was talking "bottom".

then mike come out with that whole TRT collar training gig.... and let others learn his technique... often emulated, never quite duplicated.... although the others named are talented in their own right.
Thanks Susan this is the kind of well thought out response I was looking for. Obviously I know how to look at the internet resources available to me.... What I'm really looking for is someone that runs/watches trials in their area and has been impressed with a trainer/handler's performance with female dogs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Thanks Susan this is the kind of well thought out response I was looking for. Obviously I know how to look at the internet resources available to me.... What I'm really looking for is someone that runs/watches trials in their area and has been impressed with a trainer/handler's performance with female dogs.

Thanks in advance.
the handler/trainer with the most AA points (1270+) with female dogs is Lanse Brown, I think all but one of his many FC AFC dogs are/were female, you might want to consider talking to him about training/handling female FT dogs ...;)

·
Registered
652 Posts
In addition to Andy, Mike, Paul et al, I would add Dave Ward .......perhaps most notably for NFC Flip, but I have always thought that Dave had a particular knack for sensitive females....he has a knowledgeable yet soft-spoken approach with his dogs that is very effective.

·
Registered
716 Posts
the handler/trainer with the most AA points (1270+) with female dogs is Lanse Brown, I think all but one of his many FC AFC dogs are/were female, you might want to consider talking to him about training/handling female FT dogs ...;)
Another name that comes to mind is J. Vollstead, he's had a few. In my estimation any great dog trainer can train male, female, soft, high...my .02

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ken and Brenda Neil have had some pretty good success (1 NFC and 1 NAFC) with 2 of their bitches, right? Might be worth looking at who their mentor/trainer is/was.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Another name that comes to mind is J. Vollstead, he's had a few. In my estimation any great dog trainer can train male, female, soft, high...my .02
Jack has trained some GREAT female labs in his career,and coincidently learned a lot about training dogs from Dana (Brown) Istre

·
Registered
716 Posts
Jack has trained some GREAT female labs in his career,and coincidently learned a lot about training dogs from Dana (Brown) Istre
Jack, Lanse are some great dog minds. Although I do not believe that training a competitive dog has anything to do with "sex" per say but has to do with the ability to read a dog. Hey Bon it would be interesting to see how many points jack, Lanse, feruchie, and Mcfall amassed in their carriers?

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Jack, Lanse are some great dog minds. Although I do not believe that training a competitive dog has anything to do with "sex" per say but has to do with the ability to read a dog. Hey Bon it would be interesting to see how many points jack, Lanse, feruchie, and Mcfall amassed in their carriers?
Don't know about Dr. Ferucci,but Mr McFall is in the 1450+ mark, and would guess Jack is closing in on the 1000 threshold, if not already past it

·
Registered
7,657 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
In addition to Andy, Mike, Paul et al, I would add Dave Ward .......perhaps most notably for NFC Flip, but I have always thought that Dave had a particular knack for sensitive females....he has a knowledgeable yet soft-spoken approach with his dogs that is very effective.
I have heard that said about Dave more than once by people I respect in the sport.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
While you can look at stats and past history all you like, I'm not sure I would categorize dogs on that broad a scale. In fact, I'm not sure I'd categorize dogs at all, but rather, go looking for the trainer who has what I consider to be the most flexible program, based on track record over the long haul.

You can't be one of those big name pros without, above all else, flexibility in your methods and program.

I'm sure the guys mentioned get to pick the dogs they want from a pool, but there is no cookie cutter model that one can come up with for a dog IMHO. They just aren't consistent enough personality wise to treat one exactly like the next.

You can generalize all you want but your dog may not fit that mould and you're not going to know that until she's in training a little while.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I'm sure the guys mentioned get to pick the dogs they want from a pool, but there is no cookie cutter model that one can come up with for a dog IMHO. They just aren't consistent enough personality wise to treat one exactly like the next.
Pros like Dave (who I train with) adjust the handling for each dog once they know the dog. I have enough trouble with two dogs, adjusting for the age and sensitivity and he does it with a whole truck. No notes, he knows what each one needs and how to handle them on a particular set of marks or blinds. That's what makes pros good. If a pro gets a new older dog in with problems he gets inside the head of a dog and tries to figure out what is going on and usually within a few weeks they are working with him. They don't change "the program" but how they apply it.

Still many females are of the sensitive type and you only get those masculine types once in awhile. Flip is not an easy dog to run but he makes it look easy. The past owner could not run her without her usually popping. Flip air humps when she is done with a series.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts