RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I launch a diversion bird while dog is returning from a retrieve. The dog diverts from a straight line return, runs over to within a couple feet of diversion bird. Doesn't pick up diversion bird and returns to heel. Dog never slows down.
But I want dog to come straight back to me.
What is correction for this issue?

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I hit come in whistle just before and during launch of diversion bird.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I would treat it the same as I do for avoiding factors on the way back (water, etc). Verbal 'NO' as soon as the dog commits to the deviation, sit whistle, cast back to where the dog deviated from the line, call back in with a come in hand signal given that shows the opposite direction of the diversion bird.

In a test situation, immediate sit whistle when the diversion bird is thrown.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
When I launch a diversion bird while dog is returning from a retrieve. The dog diverts from a straight line return, runs over to within a couple feet of diversion bird. Doesn't pick up diversion bird and returns to heel. Dog never slows down.
But I want dog to come straight back to me.
What is correction for this issue?
Blow the come in whistle and push the button

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I would treat it the same as I do for avoiding factors on the way back (water, etc). Verbal 'NO' as soon as the dog commits to the deviation, sit whistle, cast back to where the dog deviated from the line, call back in with a come in hand signal given that shows the opposite direction of the diversion bird.

In a test situation, immediate sit whistle when the diversion bird is thrown.
You have just clouded the issue for the dog requiring him to make decisions about the infraction which is not returning to you directly and immediately. Blow the come in whistle and push the button, clear and direct, return to me unless otherwise instructed. It only takes 2 or 3 corrections sometimes fewer.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
You have just clouded the issue for the dog requiring him to make decisions about the infraction which is not returning to you directly and immediately. Blow the come in whistle and push the button, clear and direct, return to me unless otherwise instructed. It only takes 2 or 3 corrections sometimes fewer.
Probably so - most likely talking about hunt test distances - where the diversion may be thrown from somewhere near the line. And a well timed here nick should do the trick.
I tend to try to teach the dog first without correction. But a correction is probably more clear - come here now.

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
I would use indirect pressure 1st. Walk @ heel, blow sit whistle while continuing to walk, blow come-in to heel,
do this several times until solid. Next day - repeat & after successful actions throw a diversion as the dog is
coming in, blow sit & correct if the dog does not do so immediately return them to the place they should have sat.
Bring them in & then send them to retrieve only if they do everything to that point correctly. It's a bulldog & that's
how it was done before collars & on land initially.

Reactions: Gregg0211

·
Registered
592 Posts
I want the retriever to mark the "bulldog" diversion and return quickly.
To condition that, I start first by throwing a bulldog when the retriever has returned to within 3 feet of me.
That conditions the retriever to quickly come to heel for that "next mark".
I want to teach the concept mark and return to heel for that mark.

Then I gradually increase the distance and delay over several training sessions.
As a handler I am silent as the retriever understands the routine.
As an example, the end of this indent triple, mark that bulldog and then come to heel for the retrieve

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it on third try. Followed Dr Ed suggestion. Of course I have a video.

Reactions: Tobias

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Did you notice that Wayne’s clean white shirt is tucked in, his pants nicely belted at his waist? I can only manage the clean white shirt part.
C'mon, Dr. EdA, you can do it! You don't have to lose the 12th Man, just go with the credo Once a Junction Boy, always a Junction Boy.

MG

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stool bought from Amazon.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
It may happen but I have never seen a diversion bird or bull dog thrown on the return in a FT. With that being said I very thoroughly teach poison birds when doing pattern blinds after TT. I teach by throwing a bird then swinging to the opposite side of the field and run to a known blind. Gradually getting closer to the bird running behind the gun station that throws the bird and eventually running under the arc and then just past the bird on the ground to known blinds. I do throw diversions on the return using the same process and usually only takes a quick toot toot to get them returning, rarely needing pressure.

I rarely let them pick up the poison bird or diversion bird until they are very good at ignoring them. When the dog is proficient at this I will throw a bird and run three blinds, behind the gun, under the arc, and past the bird then let them pickup the poison bird. I prefer to break it down and make it as black and white (is that phrase politically correct? :unsure::rolleyes:) by teaching before testing them.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quite a feat to spill coffee on the back of shirt.

Reactions: Gregg0211

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
It may happen but I have never seen a diversion bird or bull dog thrown on the return in a FT. With that being said I very thoroughly teach poison birds when doing pattern blinds after TT. I teach by throwing a bird then swinging to the opposite side of the field and run to a known blind. Gradually getting closer to the bird running behind the gun station that throws the bird and eventually running under the arc and then just past the bird on the ground to known blinds. I do throw diversions on the return using the same process and usually only takes a quick toot toot to get them returning, rarely needing pressure.

I rarely let them pick up the poison bird or diversion bird until they are very good at ignoring them. When the dog is proficient at this I will throw a bird and run three blinds, behind the gun, under the arc, and past the bird then let them pickup the poison bird. I prefer to break it down and make it as black and white (is that phrase politically correct? :unsure::rolleyes:) by teaching before testing them.
I haven’t used a bulldog bird in several decades, it is a very interesting situation for dogs and tends to erode memory. We used to do them lots in training but no longer have the luxury of enough help for a triple. If you want to juice them up shoot a bulldog flyer when the dog is returning with a water mark. Bulldogs like cold honors have been lost because the people who knew how to use them are mostly no longer with us. I am soon to retire from judging, what better way to go out than an all age stake with both a cold honor and a bulldog bird…….

1 - 20 of 26 Posts