RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for info from those that have SUV (such as a Yukon XL or
Expedition EL. Need room for three dogs as well as training equipment and travel items.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I haul 4 in my Sequoia.

But I took all the back seats out the day I bought it and built a platform that has storage underneath.

Two large crates face out the rear liftgate, two intermediate crates face toward the passenger door. The crates have fans run off the car, so it's well ventilated going down the road and they can be run when parked for a long time withoout drawing the battery down much.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I haul 4 in my Sequoia.

But I took all the back seats out the day I bought it and built a platform that has storage underneath.

Two large crates face out the rear liftgate, two intermediate crates face toward the passenger door. The crates have fans run off the car, so it's well ventilated going down the road and they can be run when parked for a long time withoout drawing the battery down much.

Oh Keith - you copied me! this is my set up! BUt I have drawers out hte back end. And, a marine batter that charges up as I drive for the fans.

I will double up on the small dogs. They lay on each other anyway, and on one groans. I just put them with their buddy. They all seem to have a buddy.:D

I have 430,000 miles on that truck!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I used to carry 3 retrievers and a Schipperke in my 2004 Tahoe plus some equipment. Now down to 2 retrievers in sam Tahoe. Tight but can be done. Also towed a travel trailer.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Can't see the drawer too good on the new AVATAR. (There are 2, but one comes out for guns in hunting season.) It's lower than a Truck Vault (or the other brand of drawers) so you can see out the rear view mirror.

Been a good car, except for the liftgate (but I live on a dirt road and the electric window gets dust in there) and it's not too good on tires. (Replaced shocks & put Michelin LTX MS2's last. So far so good.)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Suburban with a Truck Vault for all your stuff. I used wire crates, but the varikennels will keep more of the wet dog stink contained. I went back to a truck because I did not like the way dogs made the inside of the suburban smell after awhile. It was nice to have them in the AC on hot days, though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Older model Suburban if you must. They have more cubic space in the back than the new models with the power retracting seats, etc. they can accomodate 4 labs & training equipment with a drawer. I did for 10 or more years, until I tired of the dog hair, dust, and driving home at night with wet stinky dongs. Switched to a P/U with a topper box and used my old drawer. No Stink, or dog hair the front is relatively clean. Pure heaven.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thank you for posting this thread! Been pondering this same question. Have a Jeep Commander with no room left for a Costco trip after packing in the two dogs and the hunting/training gear, luggage.

Am trying to talk husband into the Suburban. Can you get them with side cargo windows that open? Or would we have to get a custom job for that?

He wants me to take over his Chevy Avalanche and order a topper for it...so he can have the Commander.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I Use a EX large Wire Crate and a Large standard plastic airline crate. They will barely squeeze in my Yukon with the seats folded down. The plastic one will allow the seat to be still in normal condition to carry a passenger. There is plenty of room on top of the crates. I put my 2 BBs in a bag on top and all the other training gear in bags on top. For a more permanent solution I will build storage underneath and then put the crates on top. If I decide to keep the vehicle as my travel/dog training outfit I will build a custom 3 hole dog box out of aluminum for it. If your considering that tom I can give you some Ideas. The biggest challenge is the fender wells. with the setup above it fits between the fender wells. I double up on the Ex large wire crate with two dogs.(both around 60 pounds) and they both have room. We just made a 6 hour trip each way with the setup and it all worked good. One dog per kennel to sleep and the other girl got to sleep in the hotel room with us at night.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have an '05 Suburban that has 176,000 miles. suvcargocaddy for drawers. I carry 2 Gunners Up wingers, gun stand, holding blind, folding chair, 5 gal bucket, milk crate w/bumpers, duffle bag w/spare clothes, knee boots etc. I use wire crates with towels attached on top and outside structure to catch spray. ( tie outs after water work cuts way back on water in vehicle) I use old towels inside crates to catch hair. Shake them out regularly.
Stuff clothes drier sheets under seats as deodorizers. Also have wall mounted vacuum in garage and use it frequently. Usually house 2 dogs in there can carry 3rd by sliding one crate over.

(Keith is my hero with all of those miles.):)

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
(Keith is my hero with all of those miles.):)
Susan has 430k, I've only got 150k.

If I had to buy something, I don't know what I'd get. I don't like toppers. Would an Avalanch with the back open to the topper send enough A/C or heat back there?

Suburban used to come in a "work truck," but the local dealer wouldn't even order me one in 2001. (Vinyl seats, rubber floor mats, no back seats, $28k. I don't want all the luxury car stuff and the seats would just go in my attic.) Thought about a full sized Chevy AWD van, but figured a well-cared for Toyota would go to 250. Thanks to Susan, now I'm aiming for 500...

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh Keith - you copied me! this is my set up! BUt I have drawers out hte back end. And, a marine batter that charges up as I drive for the fans.

I will double up on the small dogs. They lay on each other anyway, and on one groans. I just put them with their buddy. They all seem to have a buddy.:D

I have 430,000 miles on that truck!
Where is the marine battery located on your SUV? Sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
500 Posts
We have a 2003 Suburban and up until 2006 we had 3 dogs and carried equipment for training and when we attended doc competitions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Where is the marine battery located on your SUV? Sounds like a good idea.
One more thing. I have been doing more and more solar setups to power lights and fans etc for boxes. It works well with all the LED lighting and if you get efficient DC fans.
Here is a pic of something close to help.
View attachment 7076

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm looking at the Toyota 4 runner
Are you planning on having two crates side by side facing out the hatch?

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
On a truck thread, Justin posted:

You can check out: Mobilestrong.net

The link is:

www.croixvalleycomposites.com/mobilestrong...
There's Truck Vault, a company that makes plastic ones and this. They're all nice, but I made mine lower so I could see out the back window over the top of the dog crates. (I haul SOG wingers on top of the crates for short distances and thought about making a holder for them on the roof rack, but mostly train behind the house 1/4 mi.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts