RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have or know of a swim by pond in central or North NJ? I have looked every where and have found some great water to train in but not a true swim by pond. Will pay for access. Thank you

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Your best bet would be to contact or pm Ken Erickson. He lives and works not far from you. Forget his RTF name, Ruffseas or something close. He knows quite a bit about dog training and should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have one outside of Scranton Pa....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for the Info Breck but i can't seem to find anyone with that name

Bridget you are about 2.5 hrs from me other wise I would have been there today. Thank you though

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
try user name Rufsea

In the mean time here's a pond near you that could work in a pinch.
40°48'55.85"N, 74°23'46.32"W

edit: or this one
40°49'59.83"N, 74°20'12.19"W

Ideally you want 2-3 ponds close
together so you can do re-entries.

·
Registered
283 Posts
try user name Rufsea

Funny I used to live about 5 minutes from there.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Funny I used to live about 5 minutes from there.
Scott, I imagine it was tough finding training spots in the Oranges, so what did you guys have around there?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Scott, I imagine it was tough finding training spots in the Oranges, so what did you guys have around there?
Wish I could help. I'm new to retriever training and moved to Charlotte just prior to getting involved. NJ seems to be a pretty active state in the hunt test world and in breeding so they're obviously training somewhere! The ponds you posted are a pretty good idea and I seriously doubt anyone would mind.

If you see any in the Charlotte area feel free to post those cords too LOL!

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Scott,
Zoom in on this pond in satellite view close to Charlotte. Maybe they'll let you use it. lol
35°13'47.52"N, 80°55'18.82"W

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
try user name Rufsea

Breck
Thank you for the info. We actually do alot of training right behind that first pond in that flooded marsh. The problem is that the ponds are within the property of a Lexus dealership behind there fences. The second spot is also good for training but not for swim by it is not swimming water. We actually do alot of duck hunting over by the second area. But thank you again for taking the time

·
Registered
376 Posts
Zoom in on this pond in satellite view close to Charlotte. Maybe they'll let you use it. lol
35°13'47.52"N, 80°55'18.82"W
Now that is funny. Do you know what it is used for?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Yea, it's a new chain of Dog Kennels called Pet Paradise Resort. They have 10 or 20 locations from Florida to Plano Texas.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Livingston is about an hour north of me(Hamilton NJ) I know of a couple "decent" swim-by ponds....Nothing spectacular but they woked for me

PM me if you want

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
come on up Brian - training quite a bit during the week for the next few weeks
John I might take you up on that. I can usually get away from work one day during the week. What days do you usually train?

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is an old one, but figured I would rekindle this thread as I am preparing to start swim-by on my 13mo. I know of two stellar swim by ponds though one is 1.5hours north of me and the other is 1.5 hours south of me. I am more in central NJ and am having some trouble finding a suitable swim-by pond. Ive knocked on a few local farms in the area and was faced with mostly "no's" on private land.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts