RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the average dog, how long should swimby last. How long once they get it do you continue the drill? 2days?? week??

·
Registered
173 Posts
Swim By

Each dog is going to very of course. I would say probably in the neighborhood of 7 to 10 days. Definitely make sure that they get each part and understand what your asking before moving on. Some trainers start on pattern blinds when the dogs are about 80% done with swim by.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Swimby can take anywhere from 4 days for a few very special dogs, to 2 weeks, with the average dog being close to 10-12 days or so. Once you get the overs both ways in the same pond, it is best to stop in that pond and repeat in at least 2 different ponds to enforce what has been learned.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'd have to agree with previous posts -- the average would be about 10 days but each dog should go through on their own rate

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It's one thing to do it, it's another to have it "polished" and "ingrained". For me the average would be around 7-10 day's, don't weant to screw that one up by pushing past it before it's completly done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts