RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the record high temperatures we've had over the last few weeks, instead of thinking about late season Ice fishing, I'm seriously considering starting my guy's Swim by training early. Our Swim by pond is 62 degrees right now. Is this warm enough to not add unnecessary stress to the process? Keep in mind he is a Brown dog so he is a bit "tougher" your average lab. ;) I'm in no real rush, so waiting isn't a problem, but I also want to take advantage of the time I do have now, and this great weather. :cool:

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
My trainers always said as long as it was over 55* it was good to go.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
My trainers always said as long as it was over 55* it was good to go.
Yep...the water temp. Of course, some folks don't have that luxury, as temps in some places just don't provide that. But in most of North America you can.

Evan

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Sorry, that IS what I meant, the water temp not the air! It can be 70* and the water in the Rio Grande is still right around 33 or 34. Dangerous!!!!

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
someone on here once posted a formula of adding the air+ water temp = or > 100, always thought it made good common sense

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
The water temp sounds right but the air temp has to be comparable.

Angie

·
Registered
53 Posts
im in the same boat here in central mass. i decided to wait a little longer and move on to pattern blinds. it looks to me like we will be having temps a little more normal starting this weekend. i will finish pattern blinds and then see where we are at with air and water temps

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Good for you - exercising caution in the dog's behalf. Have fun!

Evan

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im in the same boat here in central mass. i decided to wait a little longer and move on to pattern blinds. it looks to me like we will be having temps a little more normal starting this weekend. i will finish pattern blinds and then see where we are at with air and water temps
That is what I've decided to do as well. Yesterday we were out looking at some of our fields where we run pattern blinds and they are in great shape. I'll do a little more TT work, start running pattern blinds, then work on Swimby in late April or May weather permitting.

We did some big water singles yesterday with a stiff crosswind the dog had to fight, he did great on that. Really happy with how he is coming along.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts