RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am following the Fowl Dawgs Program from Rick Stawski. I am trying to plan ahead for the coming spring when water opens up. It will be time for the swim by. I do not have the right water to do it in. Any one dealt with the same issue? Have any suggestions on how to make it work on larger bodies of water? Or a way of accomplishing the same concept without the need for such a specialized pond? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an addition I am a member of two clubs. One does not have the right water on their property one does but is realistically to far to return to every day as is suggested in Stawski's program for the swim by

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The right pond is very hard to find and that's why most trainers have one built. You can do it on the small end of a stock pond you just have to modify it a little. Try google earth and look for small ponds around where you live. You might find one you didn't even know was there. Thats how I found the one I used the past 2 yrs,hopefully mine will be built this spring.

good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I am working on looking for something that will work I guess I was more curious if there is another way to accomplish the same concept if it is not possible to find one.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Thanks. I am working on looking for something that will work I guess I was more curious if there is another way to accomplish the same concept if it is not possible to find one.
I just looked over an older topic on the Swim-by a few weeks ago. Has some answers I think you'll benefit from.
See here;
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73166

Also this article written by Dennis V.(who is here on the site every now and then) helped me better understand what the Swim-by is all about.
Might be of interest to you.
http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article/the-swim-by-retriever-training-Page1.htm

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ask one of your friends to use their inground swimming pole.......Just sayin;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
PS if you use one of these ponds make sure you find and stay away from the culverts. they usually have grates and sometimes are submerged. can be dangerous for a jumper.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have seen some people do the best they can with what they have and then when they can they take a vacation and go someplace and finish it up then.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I use a channel. Short backs and long, long overs. I'll hand toss a bumper at the "overs" in lieu of a pile.

Works great!!

Angie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts