RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Most likely not.
But you can teach the puppy how to go to steps and/or how toclimb the stairs as he gets big enough to do so. My advice is to work with the puppy to learnwhere the steps are but continue to monitor the pup, as if it were a small child, whenever it is in the area of the pool.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If a puppy 10-12 weeks jumps in a pool can it get out on its own ?
Don't count on it. It's basically a cut bank except worse cause the wall and deck is smooth so there is no where for the dog to get a grip with it's hind legs. I see experience adult dogs have a hard time on cut banks. They have to learn how to get out of pools.

I would go on caution here, REAL caution, and if that 3 month old pup fell/ jumped into the pool on its on I would expect it to drown.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have a pool, and just went through this with a puppy. My entire family was under strict orders that the puppy was not to be outside unless supervised at all times. Very easy for a dog to fall in (or get knocked in rough-housing with other dogs). At 4 months, he was launching himself into the pool and swimming back to the steps. Even then, only under supervision.

Very serious. Easy way to lose a pup.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a pool, and just went through this with a puppy. My entire family was under strict orders that the puppy was not to be outside unless supervised at all times. Very easy for a dog to fall in (or get knocked in rough-housing with other dogs). At 4 months, he was launching himself into the pool and swimming back to the steps. Even then, only under supervision.

Very serious. Easy way to lose a pup.

I agree. When we built a swimming pool I taught our dogs where the steps were so they would go there first when needing out. Did this with a dachshund, labs, and jack russell. One day the dachshund did get knocked in the pool while playing with the other dogs and the first thing she did was swim to steps. Dachshunds aren't built for swimming. Had this happened when not being supervised and not taught to swim to steps I don't think the dog would survive.
Teaching it was very easy particularly for a dog that wants out quickly. We still supervise but accidents do happen so the lessons are just in case.

Gene

·
Registered
340 Posts
The answer to your question is: Why would you leave a 10-12 week old pup in the backyard on its own?

We have a pool. We don't have steps in our pool. We have two ladders. I've learned that it doesn't take long for a pup to learn how to use the ladder with a little guidance. But supervision is the key. You really can't keep the critters out of a pool. Once you direct them toward the ladder and they get out on your own, the lesson is learned.

We thought of buying a special pool ramp for the new pup, but the first time she jumped in, she was unbelievably calm as she figured out that she couldn't get out the side and I directed her toward the ladder. After she climbed out the ladder with my assistance, she hopped right back in and went for the ladder again to get out.

I wouldn't dream of leaving a pup unsupervised in a backyard with a pool. But, when we're doing yard work, it is a blast watching the pup walk over to the pool, launch itself in and go for a casual swim. (I'm convinced she barked/growled the canine equivalent to "cannon ball" her 4th time in.)

I wish our pool had steps instead of the ladders but, it worked out. A pup should never, ever be unsupervised in the backyard. There are too many things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I've only seen one lab that could body press himself out of the water on a steep pool side, a dock or a boat, and do it time after time on his own. He was the MAN Extremely buff ;) Usually the balance is wrong, and they require a finger placed on the top of the head, as counter.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont have a pool. I sold my last pup to a guy who said he had a pool, those words stuck in my head today, thanks for
the replies, my common cents couldnt figure out how the dog gets out.

saved a lab in San Francisco Bay 30 years ago, was fishing for herring, saw birds diving as in feeding, what we thot was a sealion turned out to be a dog. I pulled him on the boat and took him to shore, to the owner. Lucky 4 him

·
Registered
658 Posts
We teach all of our dogs to exit only at the steps, a fourteen week old Cosmo pup is about to undergo pool step training sometime this week. We never allow dogs in the pool area unsupervised no matter how old or experienced they are. I have a diver lab that will go to the bottom (the deep end) to retrieve a sunken bumper, scared me to death the first time he did it and he is definitley not allowed in unsupervised.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The answer to your question is: Why would you leave a 10-12 week old pup in the backyard on its own?

We have a pool. We don't have steps in our pool. We have two ladders. I've learned that it doesn't take long for a pup to learn how to use the ladder with a little guidance. But supervision is the key. You really can't keep the critters out of a pool. Once you direct them toward the ladder and they get out on your own, the lesson is learned.

We thought of buying a special pool ramp for the new pup, but the first time she jumped in, she was unbelievably calm as she figured out that she couldn't get out the side and I directed her toward the ladder. After she climbed out the ladder with my assistance, she hopped right back in and went for the ladder again to get out.

I wouldn't dream of leaving a pup unsupervised in a backyard with a pool. But, when we're doing yard work, it is a blast watching the pup walk over to the pool, launch itself in and go for a casual swim. (I'm convinced she barked/growled the canine equivalent to "cannon ball" her 4th time in.)

I wish our pool had steps instead of the ladders but, it worked out. A pup should never, ever be unsupervised in the backyard. There are too many things that can go wrong.
We bought a pool ramp and it wasnt the biggest waste of money. The ladder suffices enough. However, my dogs are 3 and 4 so ladder is no issue. I would watch him until he's about 6 months out there just to be safe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've trained 5 dogs how to swim in a pool (because there aren't any ponds in Phoenix), but it takes a while. I always start when the water is pretty warm too (not something I'd do in November with a pup, even in Arizona).
Anyway, I have a 5' dwarf navel orange tree in a 3 foot diameter pot right at the edge of the pool where the stairs are (for a reference point the dogs can see while in the pool).

Then about 8 weeks I put a life preserver on the pup, I HOLD the puppy to my chest & walk around the shallow end up to my waist, maybe even crouch ever so slightly as to get the puppy's bottom wet. Then I goto the stairs, put the pup on the top stair (its max up to his tummy in water depth). Then I do all kinds of silly happy stuff: blow bubbles in the water at the puppy, laugh, teeny splashes with water, take a toy & put it on the top stair too & tease him with it.

Then, when the pup is tall enough, I put his hind legs on the Second stair for him to know theres some support after the top stair.

Wash-Rinse-Repeat over & over, so the pup knows where those stairs are! Most pups are "bottom heavy" & they don't have the hind leg strength or coordination to swim correctly. So, They don't go swimming unheld by me until I can tell they do.

How do I tell this? The life preserver has a handle, & after 1 month I go 2 feet from the stairs, HOLD the handle, "swim" the pup towards the stairs, & check if that pup is using his hind end correctly swimming. If not, I just keep doing the above, until he does.

Puppies should never be by a pool alone.

HTH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts