RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I feed PP "large breed puppy food" for 1 year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I switch from LBPF to an adult food once all the adult teeth are in.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm not going to tell people how to raise thier dogs because everyones different, but if you go to the eagle pack dog food site there is some good information and picutres of dogs that have been fed poor quality food and the developement problems that have occurred. I personally prefer to make the switch later on around a year, so they have the time to develop fully in size and structure. Nutrients a puppy needs must be different than a adults needs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I was planning to do at six months or when all adult teeth are in, which it looks like is going to be simultaneous.

But judging by the varied responses so far...maybe that's not best?

·
Registered
30 Posts
LuckyDucker said:
This made me think of another question...my 12wk old puppy sometimes sneaks food from my adult dog's food bowl.

Is this a potential problem? It's not Large breed dog food either.

Sorry to butt in on your topic. :wink:
Nah. I know breeders who don't even feed puppy food, just wean the pups onto adult. As long as its a name-brand, AAFCO type food I'd say you're ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I'm currently feeding Royal Canin Maxi puppy and they recommend I keep her on it until 15 Months. Initially I thought that might be a bit long, but as long as her weight is ok I will probably stick with it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Just for the record royal canin and eagle pack are the two dog foods listed on the F.D.A's list of highest quality foods out there. They have reached a level that is far beyond most foods. I would take what royal canin said as gospel because any manufacturer that will spend the money to produce a quality product like that and take it to the F.D.A has no doubt done a great deal of research on the topic. I've fed eagle pack to my BLF and shes grown like a weed, at 14 months she stands 26 inches at the withers, 33 inches to the top of her head, and is a lean , muscular 85 lbs :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts