RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running into some issues on T/TT work and wanted to get some advise before I regroup and start over. I thought FTP went well and he was lining solid to the pile from 45-50 yds. As long as the pile was identified in T work he took good lines as well. Following TRT program.

1. Transitioning to running the base line "cold" my pup is not confident and won't go on back to the back pile the first couple times. He will run 10-15 yds and pop, as soon as I anticapte the pop I would force with a back-nick-back, but each day we have the same issue. After he lines to the pile once or twice we don't have any issues and he takes a good line to the pile from the baseline. I plan on going back and revisiting FTP for a couple days to try and engrain back means back, then start over on the T baseline work.

2. We started working some over piles in and as long as I am close to him (10 yds) he will take a great over cast to the side piles. However as I move back he wants to come in instead of taking the over cast. I stop him and try to cast again and if he doesn't take the cast I move up and he takes the cast. I have only had the over piles out for 2 days but am going to stop for now to get issue 1 resolved and then get back to it after we get the lining taken care of. I might do some simple casting drills in the evening while we are working FTP again to try and engrain the over command, but as stated when I am close to him he will take the cast correctly.

Any input on if my plans for corrections seem to be suffcient or any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
You have run into a couple of reasons why we do the TT. You want to get through popping and taking casts up to 60-70 yards here in the yard rather than having to work on these things on blinds in regular field work.

Keep training. Force some on pops, move up, and maybe you will have to ID the pile again some days. But, the dog will get it. I wouldn't put out the side piles until the dog is relatively smooth at the back pile from as far back as you are going to run it.

Also, if I read your post right, your side pile is only 10 yards from your base line? I'd put them out 20 to 30 yards from the baseline. It'll be easier for both you and the dog.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Howard. Regarding the side piles, they are 20 yds off the baseline. If I am 10 yds or less from in front of the dog he takes a good cast on the over, as I move back he starts coming in instead of over.

Will keep working on the baseline and leave the side piles out until we get a good solid baseline.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Take him out with you as you put the pile out. Use white and orange bumpers. He'll eventually get the "cold" part. Right now work on his confidence in going to the pile. Sounds like he just needs more repetitions to catch on the "cold" part with orange bumpers bumpers only.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I continue to work the T and just use force as needed mixed with attrition or go back and visit FTP? He runs good lines once he knows the pile is there, it is just the first one or two "cold" sends that affect him.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I would keep iding the pile for a while. As long as he runs good lines keep at it a while longer. I was never able to get to "cold" blinds on the t as quickly as Mike Lardy does in his dvd.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Help him/her out by seeding/peppering the pile if you get a no go. Help as much as you can to keep the confidence up.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
"...my pup is not confident and won't go on back to the back pile..."

Why isn't the dog confident? Sometimes we have to simplify or take a little more time teaching in order to make sure that the dog truly understands what is expected. This is true for whatever you are teaching the dog. The other replies to your question are really saying this. The dog will let you know when he is getting it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts