RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QEII was almost a one-off with her great love of field sports and devotion to working gundogs, and ol' Chuckles the Clown III ain't likely to perpetuate that lineage in any event. But there is the old war horse, the Princess Royal, Anne, to keep 'em calm, keep 'em close and carry on flushing. A NYT article this morning about her expanded duties repping the Royal Family after the Queen's death got me to wondering whether she was still patron of the Working Clumber Spaniel Society. She is, indeed, but sad to say something rather more sordid and not quite out of Burke's Peerage but the Old Bill's blotter came to my attention when searching out her field-related royal duties. Polmaise, j.marti, it's a small world over there (and here) for gundogs, surely y'all must've known about this? Alas and alack...

MG

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Chuckles the Clown III ain't likely to perpetuate that lineage in any event.
You can take it from my personal observation that The King still shoots game and is a fine shot.

It's been an extraordinary few days since HRH passed. Literally hundreds of thousands of people are lining the Thames Embankment to pay their respects to her lying in state at Westminster Hall, the waiting time is said to be likely up to 30 hours early on Sunday morning, and still they come.

The TV shots show a very respectful attitude, I've seen grown men with their medals up and tears flowing, women curtsying, folks genuflecting, crossing themselves and bowing. As I said, extraordinary.

I'll be one of the relatively few to witness two coronations in my lifetime.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Appreciate the reply, Eug - should clarify that by "perpetuating that lineage," I was alluding to gundogs only, not guns, loaders or matched pairs of Purdeys. And I've been to - and through - the Quorn, albeit not in pursuit of Mr. Charlie when King Charles would have been in the vicinity for that purpose. If I'm wrong about Charles not having a shared affinity with other royals past and present for gundogs, don't hesitate to say "Poppycock." And congratulations on your own longevity as loyal subject of the Realm in knocking down two coronations - now that you're back dogged up for the future, I wouldn't bet against your hitting the coronation trifecta.

MG

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
We former subjects of the Crown on this side of the pond appreciate the pageantry but struggle with the concept of mass adoration of a Monarchy although my Canadian wife is more into it than I am.

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
We former subjects of the Crown on this side of the pond appreciate the pageantry but struggle with
the concept of mass adoration of a Monarchy although my Canadian wife is more into it than I am.
You should watch Downton Abbey. Lots of political folks on this side of the pond would do cartwheels
to receive the adulation the former monarch is receiving, Deservedly.

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
Mine are more recent, not British, but subjects of some of the same stuffy rules.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
but struggle with the concept of mass adoration of a Monarchy
It's got nothing to do with "adoration" in my view, just respect and admiration of a very diligent woman who before she even came to the throne gave a solemn undertaking to serve the people.

On the subject of monarchy I'm kind of agnostic, neither strongly Royalist or stern faced Republican. I've never been convinced that if we'd dropped a constitutional monarchy and replaced with a non hereditary system we'd be any better off. The venal, incompetent, self serving and regarding political class would have screwed up the country equally successfully.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You can take it from my personal observation that The King still shoots game and is a fine shot.

It's been an extraordinary few days since HRH passed. Literally hundreds of thousands of people are lining the Thames Embankment to pay their respects to her lying in state at Westminster Hall, the waiting time is said to be likely up to 30 hours early on Sunday morning, and still they come.

The TV shots show a very respectful attitude, I've seen grown men with their medals up and tears flowing, women curtsying, folks genuflecting, crossing themselves and bowing. As I said, extraordinary.

I'll be one of the relatively few to witness two coronations in my lifetime.
Waiting in line 30 hrs to view a coffin is some Respectful & Impressive Patience.
Patience is not a virtue of mine
I wouldn't wait in line 30 minutes to watch the Playboy Playmates play naked volleyball!!

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Waiting in line 30 hrs to view a coffin is some Respectful & Impressive Patience.
Patience is not a virtue of mine
I wouldn't wait in line 30 minutes to watch the Playboy Playmates play naked volleyball!!
All things are relative, in perspective I’d bet 40 years ago 30 hours to wait for that would pass in the blink of an eye😉

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
All things are relative, in perspective I’d bet 40 years ago 30 hours to wait for that would pass in the blink of an eye😉
I get your drift, but I am very impatient.
I'm the guy when you go to a restaurant that everybody claims has the best food in the world; who is looking around for other options when the maitre d' says there is a 30 minute wait for a table
I MAY have waited 30 minutes 40 yrs ago.... but 30 hrs ....NOT UNLESS IT IS LIFE OR DEATH!!!

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
I get your drift, but I am very impatient.
I'm the guy when you go to a restaurant that everybody claims has the best food in the world; who is looking around for other options when the maitre d' says there is a 30 minute wait for a table
I MAY have waited 30 minutes 40 yrs ago.... but 30 hrs ....NOT UNLESS IT IS LIFE OR DEATH!!!
40 years ago watching naked Playmate volleyball might have caused death from acute cardiac arrest.😉

Reactions: Gregg0211

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
QEII was almost a one-off with her great love of field sports and devotion to working gundogs,
MG
Not So! Almost all have, or affiliated in some way.
As for the queues , I reckon that without 24/7 TV and live streaming and social media the queues would be much less 25 years ago, not because of respect by numbers me thinks...more about those who now can. What's that say about people today.
Anne's dog breeder's love life and tragic end ...pheww!! I'm sure her plumber's best friends auntie married to the local gamekeeper had an affair with the barmaid in 1972 and had a corgi ?? Love's a funny thing ....In the press.

ps. MG, A Soldier serving in HM Forces once danced with HRH Princess Royal, when on ceremonial duties ;), it was 'custom' for a Lady to have a name on her dance card. lolx

·
Registered
767 Posts
QEII was almost a one-off with her great love of field sports and devotion to working gundogs, and ol' Chuckles the Clown III ain't likely to perpetuate that lineage in any event. But there is the old war horse, the Princess Royal, Anne, to keep 'em calm, keep 'em close and carry on flushing. A NYT article this morning about her expanded duties repping the Royal Family after the Queen's death got me to wondering whether she was still patron of the Working Clumber Spaniel Society. She is, indeed, but sad to say something rather more sordid and not quite out of Burke's Peerage but the Old Bill's blotter came to my attention when searching out her field-related royal duties. Polmaise, j.marti, it's a small world over there (and here) for gundogs, surely y'all must've known about this? Alas and alack...

MG
I don't remember my friends across the pond mentioning the Clumber Spaniel incident.

Curly coat folks are rather fond of this film clip. The queen visiting Crufts dog show in 1969. At about 1:07 in, Phil Knight exhibits his curly coated retriever and the queen cannot resist the temptation to feel the curls. :)

(The curly is Phil Knight's SH. CH. Twyssenden Tramp Of Padaska.)

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I have no interest in the "royals" but the Queen was fine woman that earned the respect that she was given.

Seems to me that waiting 30 hours for a naked playmate volleyball game would seem like an eternity.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I grabbed this screen shot during the lying in state yesterday .....

Dog Hat Mammal Carnivore Companion dog

There's not many countries in the world where you'd get away with that on a solemn State occasion. I guess all the coppers and James Bonds present put a blind eye to the telescope and had a quiet laugh up the sleeve. When the pup got to the bier it gave one sharp bark and then trotted on. HRH would have loved that.:cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts