Usually 2# per puppy

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
without finishing the video just by look....4-5

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree Nancy. If feeding normally about 2 pounds per puppy. My experience with the few smaller littes we have had is if there are 4 or 5 you almost wonder if, at 7 weeks, they are pregnant at all. BTW...one of those pups may be ours! I could not tell if one was a yellow male but I thought so!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree Nancy. If feeding normally about 2 pounds per puppy. My experience with the few smaller littes we have had is if there are 4 or 5 you almost wonder if, at 7 weeks, they are pregnant at all. BTW...one of those pups may be ours! I could not tell if one was a yellow male but I thought so!!!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me today Bill. Big bodied bitch and I am afraid she has one. I can feel movement. Went for the xray today and weighed in and she gained 8 pounds. My first ray of hope. I didn't overfeed her because I thought she had only 1. I'm like can I hope for 4 and 4 it was. If I have one more person ask what the colors and sexes were I will scream.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
( :
I'm almost certain he's in there.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me today Bill. Big bodied bitch and I am afraid she has one. I can feel movement. Went for the xray today and weighed in and she gained 8 pounds. My first ray of hope. I didn't overfeed her because I thought she had only 1. I'm like can I hope for 4 and 4 it was. If I have one more person ask what the colors and sexes were I will scream.
Hey what are the colors and sexes again? ;)

Sorry couldn't resist! :)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
What is the point of putting a pregnant bitch through an Xray, just a couple of days before the pups are born, to do an inconclusive count? Why not wait two more days and see what comes out?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You can spot a potential problem especially with a small litter that may be very big puppies. All the bitch has to do is lie on her side so do not think you are really "putting her though" anything that is stressful. It is nice it have an idea so you know when the bitch is done whelping, palpating can be misleading.
I see 6 pups on the final picture of the Xray.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What is the point of putting a pregnant bitch through an Xray, just a couple of days before the pups are born, to do an inconclusive count? Why not wait two more days and see what comes out?
In my case, I want to know. Tilly was born in a litter of 13, by C section. Having a large litter like that takes some planning when her due date is Saturday/Sunday. If I were to need a C section for 10 or more pups, I'd probably have opted for a Friday delivery if my Vet agreed we were at that point. This time it looks to be a normal size litter, and we will plan on a natural process (plan A) w/o intervention. If it becomes necessary, then plan B comes into play. Her last few days are her worst, comfort wise. She wont be able to get comfortable, and that is one of my cues to pay attention. That hasn't started yet, as I type.

And as Nate has said, knowing when she is likely done, gives me good reason to know what comes next, or not.
Thanks Nate.

·
Registered
354 Posts
In my case, I want to know. Tilly was born in a litter of 13, by C section. Having a large litter like that takes some planning when her due date is Saturday/Sunday. If I were to need a C section for 10 or more pups, I'd probably have opted for a Friday delivery if my Vet agreed we were at that point. This time it looks to be a normal size litter, and we will plan on a natural process (plan A) w/o intervention. If it becomes necessary, then plan B comes into play. Her last few days are her worst, comfort wise. She wont be able to get comfortable, and that is one of my cues to pay attention. That hasn't started yet, as I type.

And as Nate has said, knowing when she is likely done, gives me good reason to know what comes next, or not.
Thanks Nate.

But that was my point, from that Xray, you don't really know when she is likely done?! It was a bit inconclusive... (there may be one or two left in there, or not)
We ultrasound here at 28 days to get a count, which (depending on the skill of the scanner) is usually pretty accurate.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I hope you have a good night John! Try to get a nap during NCAA Basketball if you can.

Good Luck!

Swack

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope you have a good night John! Try to get a nap during NCAA Basketball if you can.

Good Luck!

Swack
1st labor started around 7:30am today, right after she ate a normal breakfast at 7ish. Has had a 3rd series of contractions as of noon. No water break yet, no pushing. Lots of heavy breathing, trips outside, etc.

Here was the first round,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQDAWa6bL4M

Most recent -3rd lasted 31 minutes.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Luck for an easy whelp!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts