RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on going to a field trail in march and I have a pup that is almost 9 weeks old. He has not and will not be introduced to gunfire yet but I was suggested to bring him anyways. What do you all think?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Find a good babysitter. Pups can be so distracting to other dogs and handlers...sometimes in a big way!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I see pups at field trials all the time. As long as you have him on a lead or check cord, and don't allow him to interfere with any dogs coming or going to the holding blinds I think it would be fine.

The more exposure the better.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I see pups at field trials all the time. As long as you have him on a lead or check cord, and don't allow him to interfere with any dogs coming or going to the holding blinds I think it would be fine.

The more exposure the better.
My take as well.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Great place for socializing your pup. EVERYONE likes pups and all pups like their ears scratched..:) They will be so distracted by everything else happening that the gunfire probably won't be noticed much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would definitely have him on a lead when I have him out. But this will be my first test as will and I am pretty nervous as I would never want to mess anyone up. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've always been welcomed to ht and trials with a pup. Always keep it under control! And be extra careful to not interfere by noise or contact with competing dogs.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I was planning on going to a field trail in march and I have a pup that is almost 9 weeks old. He has not and will not be introduced to gunfire yet but I was suggested to bring him anyways. What do you all think?
Sounds like your pup will be 12 to 16 weeks old at the time of this FT. What is the timetable for your puppy shots? Check with your vet about suppressed immunity in the days immediately following shots. This may factor into your decision to expose your pup to other dogs and grounds.

Jim

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I am not a proponent of bringing young puppies to events. Not good for the puppy who might pick up something from the dogs or the grounds, not good for the dogs at the trial if the puppy comes down sick.

Case in point, a guy brought a young litter of pups to the 2010 Master National. The whole litter came down with Parvo while there. He swore they weren't sick when he left home. He lost some, perhaps all, of the litter and put a panic in those at the MN who knew about it.

Helen

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sounds like your pup will be 12 to 16 weeks old at the time of this FT. What is the timetable for your puppy shots? Check with your vet about suppressed immunity in the days immediately following shots. This may factor into your decision to expose your pup to other dogs and grounds.

Jim
X2 on the shots.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
it is your call but I would introduce gunfire before bringing him to a ht or FT - just so that way if he is freaked out by it you can work with him on it, instead of having him sit there with multiple gunshots going off every 5 min. and him getting really gun shy. easier to avoid a bad situation when your training with someone privately in a controlled situation just my 2 cents

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.