RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Here is my delima.... I have a BLF that is about 2 1/2 years old. She got her HR title at about 16 months old. Running Finished has been a differetn story. In training she performs great. I hardly get any corrections because she pretty much nails everything we set up. The problem arises when we go to a hunt test. It's like she gets nervous or something and can't process everything that is going on. She goes into slow motion and on her marks I feel like she is just wanting me to handle her. I have the same problem when we are hunting.

I will add that the last test we ran, was the best she has ever done at a hunt test. Every Finished test up until then, I picked her up. This last time, both days we were bleeding but still in it for the afternoon series both days. Got close but couldn't seal it. Had to handle on 1 mark in every series.

She is very mechanical and handles like a dream (I know a lot of dogs that handle very well aren't that good at marking) but we are having trouble putting it all together.

She seems to be a very immature dog, could my problems be resolved with a little age and continued training?[/b]

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
She may need to be challenged if shes nailinig everything in training. And your training has to be as "test-like" as possible so that you can get a correction, especially if your training is very different from your testing enviornments. She may have figured out that she can give up or give it a half effort and be picked up in a test, thus the reponsibility for her to do her job removed. She has become situational and needs to get he confidence and responsibility back.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
please read your post, "she is very mechanical and handles well", indicates that her marking skills need to be worked on. the whistle is her crutch and you have probably contributed a great deal to her habit; being handled. stop running blinds , switch to visible gunners in the field to boost her confidence and show her a mix of short/long, long /short marks. hope this helps :idea:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts