RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I have an almost 5 month old puppy that is great in the house and great in the crate. Now that the weather is finally nice I need to introduce this pup to the outside kennel. What tips can you give me to make this a happy place? I am probably being overly cautious here but I already have one that does not like the outside kennel and I don't want another. The good thing already is that she likes to be outside in the fenced yard but I cannot trust her out there alone yet if nobody is home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my opinion teaching kennel manners is about being consistent and giving your dog responsibilities.

For instance if your dog barks, say no quiet and stick with it. Every time he barks, no quiet. You may be at it for a while at first, so be prepared to finish what you start. If you'll do this, they will learn it doesn't do them any good to bark and if they do they will understand what quiet means.

If your dog jumps on the door as you open it -
Start from the very beginning making them sit before you open it and only allow them in or out when you give the command.

Before feeding always make them sit and wait to eat until given the command.

Any early bad behaviors can be stopped before they start if your consistent in what you teach.

·
Registered
311 Posts
As of any introductions to new environment/routines, gradually is the key. Don't just put him out there for long period of time and expect him to get used to it immidiately,
do it when you off so you will be there to praise him if quiet and correct any unwanted barking. Start out short then build it up, best time is to put up him when he's tired.
Give him a rawhide or his favorate chew bone everytime you put him outside kennel so he is looking forward to going there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts