Fido, go poop
good dog Fido,

Fido outside
good dog Fido,

:p:p:p:p:p:p

·
Registered
780 Posts
Better to try the Search function on here before asking difficult training questions like this. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :lol:

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
For Tollers, we write it down and give it to them to read. Actually, this works best if you write the name on a scrap of paper and attach it to the food bowl where they can see it.

As a practical matter, there's no shortcut. Just repetition.

Eric

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Best way:

Get a clicker and some treats. Have the dog with you, click, treat. click treat, click treat. Now the pup knows click means treat.

Now, say pups name, raise your treat hand to your eye so pup will look up at your face: immediately click and treat. say pup's name, hand to your eye, pup looks at you, click treat. Stop after 2 or 3 minutes and repeat 3 or 4 times a day for 3 days.

Not only will dog learn that the name is a good thing, but will learn to look at your face when pup hears name.

Jennifer

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Best way:

Get a clicker and some treats. Have the dog with you, click, treat. click treat, click treat. Now the pup knows click means treat.

Now, say pups name, raise your treat hand to your eye so pup will look up at your face: immediately click and treat. say pup's name, hand to your eye, pup looks at you, click treat. Stop after 2 or 3 minutes and repeat 3 or 4 times a day for 3 days.

Not only will dog learn that the name is a good thing, but will learn to look at your face when pup hears name.

Jennifer
That's interesting. Never tried it myself, but then I've never had a pup that didn't know his name by the time he was big enough to eat a treat.

edit: 5 stars???? Really?

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
The smart ones will even learn their name without a clicker with a treat.

·
Registered
12,610 Posts
For Tollers, we write it down and give it to them to read. Actually, this works best if you write the name on a scrap of paper and attach it to the food bowl where they can see it.

As a practical matter, there's no shortcut. Just repetition.

Eric
Is that note written in English, French or Canadian Gaelic? What is the language of the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever?

·
Registered
340 Posts
With the pup is a pup, always, always, always say the pup's name with joy and affection in your voice and a smile on your face.

This will more than make up for the way NOT to do it if you happen to live in a household of people who love dogs and love pet names.

Indy?

Nope!

Inder beender beender boo
Boo
Boozer
Binder boo
Binder boozer
Lil' butter
Little Butter boo
Boo
Beender
Beender Boo
Beender boozer
Bindy
Bindy Boo

He's a drahthaar for heaven's sake! Geez! Eh, he knows when you're talking to him and comes over to visit every time.

Sassy?

Most of the time. But...

Sassafras
Sasquatch
Sass

At this point, she zones in on the first syllable and you're good! Lucky thing too! A critter should know its own name. ;)

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Is that note written in English, French or Canadian Gaelic? What is the language of the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever?

They are bi-lingual but tend toward English. The word "treat" seems to be a language universal.

Eric

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's interesting. Never tried it myself, but then I've never had a pup that didn't know his name by the time he was big enough to eat a treat.

edit: 5 stars???? Really?
As a rule, I do not like to depend upon "the dog figuring it out" if "it" is a particular response to a cue. For my dogs, I want them to turn their attention toward me when I say their name, so I do pretty much the same as Jennifer.

But yes, most dogs will "get it" if you just say it often and in regards to things that concern the dog.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts