RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went out and worked dogs Sunday and that gave me a chance to do some more photography. This old fellow belongs to a friend and was about four years old when I first met him. He was a joy to watch back then. Actually got on a three point stance before being released on a retrieve and was a real rocket. He is now ten and still no slouch. Great to see an old one still able to get the job done with some flash.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can see the experiance in the old DAWGS face! Gotta love it!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Very special pictures!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Pls share some details of the camera settings.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pls share some details of the camera settings.
All shot on a Canon 30D set on AV (aperture priority) with 300mm F:2.8 L IS lens at ISO 400, first image shot f:4 at 1/6400th sec, other two at F:2.8 at 1/8000th sec. The 300mm was a good length, but the f:2.8 is probably a bit of overkill at least if the light is good. That lens was on loan and I'm not likely to own one anytime soon (street price a bit over $7000.00). The 300mm f:4 L IS (which is very sharp and fast focusing) would probably do the trick and they can be had used in good condition for around $1000.00. I would point out that both the 300mm F:2.8 L IS and the 300mm F:4 L IS are in Canon's PRO lineup and should not be confused for the various zooms in the 300mm range in the consumer lineup. A world of difference.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Second image is a killer!

All shot on a Canon 30D set on AV (aperture priority) with 300mm F:2.8 L IS lens at ISO 400, first image shot f:4 at 1/6400th sec, other two at F:2.8 at 1/8000th sec. The 300mm was a good length, but the f:2.8 is probably a bit of overkill at least if the light is good. That lens was on loan and I'm not likely to own one anytime soon (street price a bit over $7000.00). The 300mm f:4 L IS (which is very sharp and fast focusing) would probably do the trick and they can be had used in good condition for around $1000.00. I would point out that both the 300mm F:2.8 L IS and the 300mm F:4 L IS are in Canon's PRO lineup and should not be confused for the various zooms in the 300mm range in the consumer lineup. A world of difference.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The focus in his eyes in the first one is awesome. Very nice pictures
It's not very obvious but if you look at the very bottom of the frame, you will see the Dokken Greenhead on which he is fixated. This old guy has gotten to HUNT his whole life and knows what the game is all about. His owner is one of those waterfowl addicts, hunts the south Texas marshes as often as possible and has taken "Deke" on trips to Saskatchewan at least twice that I know of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts