RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what is the proper/suggested order and timeline of testing for the usuals(DNA, OFA, EIC, & CNM). I do want them to be on the registeries and verified. My pup is chipped. Can I get some suggestions please?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
OFA cannot be done until the pup is 2 yrs old. The others can be done at any age. The breeder I co-own a golden with does the health certs first, including cert of eyes and then the hips/elbows at 2. This way you get the less expensive tests done first and if the dog doesn't pass one of them, there's no need to spend the couple hundred bucks on the hip/elbow tests.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been trying to read up on it. Looks like getting DNA first might be beneficial? $35 through AKC and its recorded... Will that show color factoring?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Cheapest first. Or, tests that can be done before a lot of $ or time invested in training. Some folks do preliminary hips before age 2.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Cheapest first. Or, tests that can be done before a lot of $ or time invested in training. Some folks do preliminary hips before age 2.
X2

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If I recall the AKC DNA testing is only used to setup a DNA profile with the AKC, it's required if stud-dams are bred multiple times. Allows the AKC to confirm parentage should anyone question it. Not a necessary test for litter registration, etc, and I don't believe it does color factoring. If you want the color factoring test, Optigene does it, as does the university of CA Davis. Davis is nice in that it does several variations of the yellow gene in one test, fox red-creams etc. You have to test for chocolate separately.

If you do multiple genetic tests you get a discount, downside, no company offers all the tests in a nice packet. You've got to go through multiple companies, especially if you want to register the results. DDC probably offers the most tests by one company, but is not recognized for OFA registration (EIC-CNM) got to go through the source companies (UoM) and France for that.

Testing-wise, the Hip-Elbow and Eyes are the major determining factors, if those aren't good, your probably not going to breed in any case. If I wanted to save money, I'd do those before I sent out the genetic stuff. Of course if I was interested and didn't want to wait (color, etc.), I'd send in the genetic test, you don't have to wait 2 years for those ;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
With my now 1 year old pup, he has had CERF, PRA, EIC, CNM, and yesterday he had PennHip done. OFA will be next may, AKC DNA test will also be done next year, and that is mainly for if you breed and are sending the samples out. Color factor will come later.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
You don't need the DNA test. Only if you breed a stud down the line a lot you will and AKC will let you know. It will not give you color. If you don't pass hips or elbows, you don't need the rest either unless you think you may have an EIC affected dog and want to know. Most important are hips, elbows and eyes. Eyes can be done anytime so that is usually 1st. You can prelim hips and elbows. Only then would I do EIC, CNM, color and PRA. By then you should start to know whether you have a dog worth breeding. Before breeding do the eyes again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts