RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dogs Spot

Most of these come from a web site that deals with dogs and cancer. Goldens tend to die from cancer, 60-80 percent, and this is a very good place to go for help.
Bernedoodle
My personal favorite is the one with the dog watching over things-I believe they do.

"Grieve not,
nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh and talk of me
as if I were beside you
I loved you so
'twas Heaven here with you."

Isla Paschal Richardson
Nice post sir thank you it was a nice reply glad to read this

·
Registered
39 Posts
For Casey-

Tangleloft Radiant Gold--my Casey.

Conformation dog who learned to love the field. The short version of 13 good years is she "awoke" when our boy, Kai came home. She was 8.
Learned to swim at 8
Dock dive at 9 --made the Dock Nationals at 11!
And while she was a ball retriever, wouldn't pick up a bumper until one summers day at 12. She watched as her little bro and a friend made water retrieves--one after another. She finally said--what the heck--and grabbed one of his bumpers in the water. While she had the heavy coat of a confo dog, she did a great job of a 50 yd water pickup!
Then, one AM at 13, she woke up --something was wrong. We went to the park. She was very slow. When I threw her ball, she couldn't reach down to get it. She blew a disc in her neck. Bad hips had crept up on her too. The pair made for an unstable gait. That was a problem.
We tried conservative treatment but it did no good for a tough problem. We realized she was in intractable pain. One bad Saturday night meant Sunday would be her last. God was smiling on her. First sunny day of the spring. We took her to her favorite park and laid her down on a blanket. She looked pleased for the first time in weeks. Casey sniffed dogs, people -the wind. I was with her to her last breath but that's what you do for the best of friends. She was surely one to me.
I will always miss my "Casey-Face" ---the prettiest girl that you ever did see. A late blooming field retriever....
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Mammal Canidae Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed Companion dog

[video]https://soundcloud.com/jtsm48/nervecalm[/video]

·
Registered
1 Posts
GODS PICK OF THE LITTER

There you were all alone, the last of the litter, the others are gone.

It took only a minute for anyone to see, there’s no doubt, you’d be going home with me.

A hasty decision SizeGenetics Review #Results some may say, deep in my heart I said “no way”.

At eight weeks old we started to train, even in the bitter cold or the pouring down rain.

Looking in your eyes you never seem to complain, I saw something special, I couldn’t explain.

The days went fast you learned with ease, I never saw a dog so eager to please.

You’re a pleasure to watch that statement is true, for your desire to hunt comes from deep inside you.

You’re my companion, my best friend, It will remain that way to the bitter end.

Though I dread that day, when the man up stairs, will take you away.

I may morn or may even cry, for I know this is it, the final good bye.

I’ll hold my head up and try not to be blue, for I know that God needs a hunting dog too.

Ron Prince

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Good night sweet Beanie. You were royally bred, hated trialing but loved hunting and people. You didn't have a mean bone in your body. This is our memory ( with tears)

Canidae Dog Wildlife Sporting Group Carnivore

Reactions: Gary M

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
So sorry to hear, Jeff. Just a couple days ago you were saying Beanie was getting older. Never a happy day when you lose one.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Chuck, thank you. I hate cancer. Fortunately she was not at the point of suffering.

Jeff

·
Registered
17,105 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building.
"Run, Elvis, run
With the heart of a rebel child
Run, Elvis, run
Be as free as you are wild"

"

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building.
"Run, Elvis, run
With the heart of a rebel child
Run, Elvis, run
Be as free as you are wild"

"
Oh Stan, I am so sorry to hear about Elvis. It is never easy as they are family. Take care.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IF HE WAKES IN YOUR ARMS

I can hardly see through my tears... today I sent my best friend of years and years
somewhere he had to go, where pain and sickness he won't have to know.
He's been with me ever since he was a pup... today I've had to give him up.
He was sick, we both knew it and I wouldn't put him through it.

Thinking back to the day my wife brought him, I told her then that I didn't want him...
"Noise and mess and bills to pay!" - I can't believe I felt that way.
Didn't know that in the end, he would be my dearest friend.
Didn't know that he would be the greatest gift that came to me.

How did one like me deserve a friend who wanted just to serve?
What was there that made him love me, with nobody else above me?
When I looked into his eyes, never did he criticize,
never did he hold a grudge, never did he try to judge.

Recently, an anxious day. "How come you don't want to play?"
Took him to the vet to see what might be wrong with my "puppy".
Worse by far than I expected, fatal illness was detected.
Nothing much that we could do but keep him comfy til he's through.

Back at home I tried to tell him of the bad luck that befell him
All I could see in his eyes was wondering why his master cries.
I don't think he understood - his eyes just asked "Wasn't I good?"
"How come now I make you sad? Let me kiss and hug you, dad!"

Two last weeks I had to try to find a way to say goodbye.
In that time I told him more than I ever had before
just how much I loved my pup, how it hurt to give him up.
How though gone, he'd always be inside my heart, a part of me.

Then today was no mistaking, I made the decision, my heart was breaking.
I called and asked the vet to come by - I didn't have to tell him why.
He arrived in a while and asked "Are you ready?" I sighed, I nodded, I felt so unsteady.
Got down on the floor by my boy who was dying, and I just didn't care if the vet saw me crying.

As my pup slipped away, the last things he felt were the kisses and hugs of his master who knelt
On that "blankie" beside him to bid him goodbye, who had just one more minute to tell him, to try
to say thanks to his boy for a lifetime of love...."Dear God, let me see him in heaven above!
But for now Lord, please hold him, watch over his rest...
if he wakes in Your arms tell him I love him best."
this is exactly what happened with us and our girl. Love this.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It is with a heavy heart that I had to put down my old boy Speck this afternoon. He was nearly 14 years old.
Speck was a 85 pound powerhouse of a dog. He lived to retrieve, was the easiest dog I ever had to train and loved training time. He didn't differentiate between marks or drills and ran them equally hard.
I was able to hunt him for 11 years and in those years, never lost a bird. He was a powerhouse on ducks, geese, pheasants, huns and grouse. Speck not only flushed the birds we hunted, but flushed the birds right at me about 95% of the time.... He gave me easy shots!
In the fields of ND, beaver ponds of the UP and game farms across southern WI, he will be missed.
Speck had two "signature" retrieves that my hunting buddies talk about regularly. The first was field hunting in ND where we found the "X". Speck was under a year old and was one of two dogs on that trip. My buddy had a chessie as the second. We had a couple of volleys early and the dogs performed well. The large group of mallards we saw in the field finally came back and three of us shot exceptionally well and each tripled. Speck marked beautifully and due to his speed, picked up 7 of the 9 birds. The chessie got the other two. We all thought that was all of the birds that dropped, when Speck wheeled around staring in the distance. My BIL asked what the heck was he staring at and I just called his name and off he went, hell bent. Speck marked a bird that fell out about 200 yards that we didn't see fall. It was a triple curl greenhead which I'm looking at on my wall as I type.
The second "signature" retrieve occurred in the UP. My wife, myself and my buddie with the chessie were hunting and we hooked a couple dozen geese from a distance and ended up dropping six birds at close range. Five of the six dropped stone dead over the decoys. My buddy sailed a goose behind us 100 yards of so, he took his dog to go get it as he got a good mark on it against a big white pine. Speck picked up the five birds and my buddy yelled to me to "bring Speck" for the sixth. I worked my way back to him and the area the goosed fell was in a beaver flooded area of buck brush. Speck started working the area and disappeared in the buck brush. We heard him crashing through the brush and water about 50 yards from us and then... silence.
We heard the characteristic snorting of a dog with a birds and a couple minutes later, he was back with the goose. A spectacular retrieve in really difficult terrain/cover.
I was proud as a dog owner could be...
That was my old boy Speck!! I am blessed to be owned by him and will forever miss him...
Say hi to Duke, Teala, Rip, Tucker, Quinn and Beezer you old goat. Run free, breath clear and wait for me on the other side! You will be missed Speck!!!

Thank you all for reading. Go give your pups a big hug and a biscuit!

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
It is with a heavy heart that I had to put down my old boy Speck this afternoon. He was nearly 14 years old.
Speck was a 85 pound powerhouse of a dog. He lived to retrieve, was the easiest dog I ever had to train and loved training time. He didn't differentiate between marks or drills and ran them equally hard.
I was able to hunt him for 11 years and in those years, never lost a bird. He was a powerhouse on ducks, geese, pheasants, huns and grouse. Speck not only flushed the birds we hunted, but flushed the birds right at me about 95% of the time.... He gave me easy shots!
In the fields of ND, beaver ponds of the UP and game farms across southern WI, he will be missed.
Speck had two "signature" retrieves that my hunting buddies talk about regularly. The first was field hunting in ND where we found the "X". Speck was under a year old and was one of two dogs on that trip. My buddy had a chessie as the second. We had a couple of volleys early and the dogs performed well. The large group of mallards we saw in the field finally came back and three of us shot exceptionally well and each tripled. Speck marked beautifully and due to his speed, picked up 7 of the 9 birds. The chessie got the other two. We all thought that was all of the birds that dropped, when Speck wheeled around staring in the distance. My BIL asked what the heck was he staring at and I just called his name and off he went, hell bent. Speck marked a bird that fell out about 200 yards that we didn't see fall. It was a triple curl greenhead which I'm looking at on my wall as I type.
The second "signature" retrieve occurred in the UP. My wife, myself and my buddie with the chessie were hunting and we hooked a couple dozen geese from a distance and ended up dropping six birds at close range. Five of the six dropped stone dead over the decoys. My buddy sailed a goose behind us 100 yards of so, he took his dog to go get it as he got a good mark on it against a big white pine. Speck picked up the five birds and my buddy yelled to me to "bring Speck" for the sixth. I worked my way back to him and the area the goosed fell was in a beaver flooded area of buck brush. Speck started working the area and disappeared in the buck brush. We heard him crashing through the brush and water about 50 yards from us and then... silence.
We heard the characteristic snorting of a dog with a birds and a couple minutes later, he was back with the goose. A spectacular retrieve in really difficult terrain/cover.
I was proud as a dog owner could be...
That was my old boy Speck!! I am blessed to be owned by him and will forever miss him...
Say hi to Duke, Teala, Rip, Tucker, Quinn and Beezer you old goat. Run free, breath clear and wait for me on the other side! You will be missed Speck!!!

Thank you all for reading. Go give your pups a big hug and a biscuit!
Sorry you lost such a great gundog. It sounds as though Speck left you with some great memories. -Paul

161 - 176 of 176 Posts