RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has come up with any great new fly control methods/products?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
With all those creepy spiders you've got, how can you have any flies?? :wink:

Just wonderin' regards,

Andy

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Nothing new, but still using organic pesticide misters inside and outside the kennels.

No bugs on my dogs..... :wink:

Angie

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I am not sure about this but my wife says to hang zip lock bags full of water around the kennel. The flies think its a hrnets nest and go elsewhere. Sounds good to me but I married her and have no choice :wink:

·
Registered
491 Posts
My wife's got two of those zip lock baggy things hanging on the back porch. Flies are lit on it right now. Guess they don't work. :)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Achiro..this has been a terrible Spring for flies in Oklahoma...and mosquitos are about to carry me off. Prehistoric ones that seem to enjoy the Deep Woods Off with Deet I spray on as an appetizer.. Every time I spray the kennel with permethrin it rains, so that's not doing much good and I don't like to repeat more than every two weeks.

Angie, what kind of organic stuff you using in your misters?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use the old fashion way. I completely screen my kennels. Biting flies and mosquitos can be a menace during warm months. I have three labs that beg to get back in their kennels on bad fly days. Nights are mosquito free for them too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Anybody ever used any of those fly predator bugs that are supposed to kill the flies? I always wondered how that would work.

DH

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Many of the vet supply catalogs carry them. Also I've seen them at Tractor Supply.

Every 15 minutes they release an insecticide of pymethrins. It's safe to use in food handling facilities ect. A canister lasts 1 month.

Angie

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've got two of the ziplock bags over my 4 kennels and they have removed about 90% of the flys. For the price it won't hurt to try.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
DH, I use the fly predator wasps at my barn. Makes a HUGE difference-I'll never use a chemical again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Pupaloo, where do you get yours? I've seen several suppliers and don't know if one is better than the other.

DH

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
best fly killer is called QUICK STRIKE they can be found at the local farm supply stores. they last until the dead flys completely cover the surface and cost around $20.00 per set. keep them away from the dogs by dropping them in a five gallon bucket with a brick in the bottom.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
R Little said:
best fly killer is called FIRST STRIKE they can be found at the local farm supply stores. they last until the dead flys completely cover the surface and cost around $20.00 per set. keep them away from the dogs by dropping them in a five gallon bucket with a brick in the bottom.
Help me out...I don't understand how to set this up.

Sorry.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
you get two half round pieces 3"x10"long in the package with attractant vials on the end. break the vial and place strip in a 5 gal bucket i also lay them flat on the kennel surface but you have to keep them away from the dogs. flys land on them eat, spin around 3 times and die!!!!!!!!!!!!! cost is around 20 dollars and usually last 2wks to 1 month.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Angie B said:
Many of the vet supply catalogs carry them. Also I've seen them at Tractor Supply.

Every 15 minutes they release an insecticide of pymethrins. It's safe to use in food handling facilities ect. A canister lasts 1 month.

Angie
Is this the stuff you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I just buy the equine fly spray at the feed store and spray my dogs with it.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Yupper! Takes care of gnats, wasps, bees and those nasty spiders too.

Angie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts