RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

The annual fly control thread

3K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  pupaloo 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has come up with any great new fly control methods/products?

#2 ·
With all those creepy spiders you've got, how can you have any flies?? :wink:

Just wonderin' regards,

Andy

#4 ·
I am not sure about this but my wife says to hang zip lock bags full of water around the kennel. The flies think its a hrnets nest and go elsewhere. Sounds good to me but I married her and have no choice :wink:

#7 ·
Achiro..this has been a terrible Spring for flies in Oklahoma...and mosquitos are about to carry me off. Prehistoric ones that seem to enjoy the Deep Woods Off with Deet I spray on as an appetizer.. Every time I spray the kennel with permethrin it rains, so that's not doing much good and I don't like to repeat more than every two weeks.

Angie, what kind of organic stuff you using in your misters?

#11 ·
Many of the vet supply catalogs carry them. Also I've seen them at Tractor Supply.

Every 15 minutes they release an insecticide of pymethrins. It's safe to use in food handling facilities ect. A canister lasts 1 month.

Angie

#13 ·
DH, I use the fly predator wasps at my barn. Makes a HUGE difference-I'll never use a chemical again.

#15 ·
best fly killer is called QUICK STRIKE they can be found at the local farm supply stores. they last until the dead flys completely cover the surface and cost around $20.00 per set. keep them away from the dogs by dropping them in a five gallon bucket with a brick in the bottom.

#16 ·
R Little said:
best fly killer is called FIRST STRIKE they can be found at the local farm supply stores. they last until the dead flys completely cover the surface and cost around $20.00 per set. keep them away from the dogs by dropping them in a five gallon bucket with a brick in the bottom.
Help me out...I don't understand how to set this up.

Sorry.

#17 ·
you get two half round pieces 3"x10"long in the package with attractant vials on the end. break the vial and place strip in a 5 gal bucket i also lay them flat on the kennel surface but you have to keep them away from the dogs. flys land on them eat, spin around 3 times and die!!!!!!!!!!!!! cost is around 20 dollars and usually last 2wks to 1 month.

#18 ·
Angie B said:
Many of the vet supply catalogs carry them. Also I've seen them at Tractor Supply.

Every 15 minutes they release an insecticide of pymethrins. It's safe to use in food handling facilities ect. A canister lasts 1 month.

Angie
Is this the stuff you are talking about?

#22 ·
DH, the company I use in in Canada-I doubt they could ship across the border. From looking on the internet, it looks like everybody has the same "bug"-maybe shop by price? I like to deal with companies that have good customer service even if they cost a little more.

I have used the automatic sprayers as well-they are little work horse gizmos-I was happy with their performance. That said, I am not sure I would want my dogs breathing fly spray all day and night (they run on batteries and are continuous)...there are systems you can rig up that are like misting systems-they can be put on a timer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.