RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading and posting on a recent RTF thread, I began to think about all the "tools" I use in training. It is a long list. However, I would have to say the most important is one that I started using a few years ago......my video camera.

Since then, I have edited and reviewed many training sessions. Several "clips" have been "stashed" on YouTube. Many, many more have been viewed and then quickly "hidden away". The "cutting room floor" is littered with "stuff" that makes me cringe when watching it. However, the clips never lie........if you honestly assess them. The camera produces no mixed messages, passively fails to to provide well meant advice, is extremely non-judgmental and the obvious is often painfully reviewable. Recorded reality is usually more revealing then personal recollection.

Therefore, I'd have to say the video camera has helped my dogs by forcing me to change what I do. In my situation (training alone), the video camera is my best training tool.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
the best training tool is very much old school.....its using the gray matter between ones ears, IMO its the most overlooked and underused tool in the box

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
the best training tool is very much old school.....its using the gray matter between ones ears, IMO its the most overlooked and underused tool in the box
I try!:) but I agree you always have to be thinking!!

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
A good bird boy that can shoot a flyer and help young dogs appropriately.

Angie

·
Registered
16,839 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Full cooler of beer- pert near guarantees training partners.

More flies with honey regards

Bubba

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
I don't about best, but my video cam and the constructive comments I have rec'd on RTF have helped me a lot. So, I guess it is the vid cam in combination with the feedback from RTF.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
All joking aside, the value of a video camera increases exponentially when training alone.

I don't drink, so I'd be a hypocrite if I used beer to enlist "extra help". Secondly, if I feel my dogs need a flyer......they can get one "solo". I've done it often and it isn't all that difficult. I even have a video of a "solo" flyer training session preparing a young dog for his first Senior test. Plus, "in a pinch" for the dog needs a flyer from a real gunner, my pro friend is always willing if I ask (but I don't do that very often).

Seeing yourself in action is simple much more revealing. A visual perspective can be a great motivator. You hear this often, "I can watch other handlers and see things to improve on or notice just how good they are, but when I'm personally involved......I loose it and hardly know what happened. "Hey, it was only three whistles on that blind." "Ahhh, no, it was more like a dozen".

The video camera is the only way to reveal the truth. For many years, it has been a very useful "tool" used by teachers (of humans) to critique themselves. As my pro friend once said, "Some people just don't want to know."

A video can be absolutely ruthless.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
All joking aside, the value of a video camera increases exponentially when training alone.

I don't drink, so I'd be a hypocrite if I used beer to enlist "extra help". Secondly, if I feel my dogs need a flyer......they can get one "solo". I've done it often and it isn't all that difficult. I even have a video of a "solo" flyer training session preparing a young dog for his first Senior test. Plus, "in a pinch" for the dog needs a flyer from a real gunner, my pro friend is always willing if I ask (but I don't do that very often).

Seeing yourself in action is simple much more revealing. A visual perspective can be a great motivator. You hear this often, "I can watch other handlers and see things to improve on or notice just how good they are, but when I'm personally involved......I loose it and hardly know what happened. "Hey, it was only three whistles on that blind." "Ahhh, no, it was more like a dozen".

The video camera is the only way to reveal the truth. For many years, it has been a very useful "tool" used by teachers (of humans) to critique themselves. As my pro friend once told, "Some people just don't want to know."

A video can be absolutely ruthless.
Problem is getting someone to do the videoing???

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Problem is getting someone to do the videoing???
None (that's zero) of my training videos are done by someone running the camera. I pick an advantageous spot, attach the camera to a tripod and turn it on. It's taken awhile to learn where to place the camera and what kind of setups are possible. The only real issue is when distance is involved......zooming isn't practical and seeing a dog turn into a speck in the distance isn't very impressive.

However, the videos are not really about the dog. So keeping it focused on the handler is not all that difficult. If you can work the dog(s) into the closeups, that is a bonus.

In reality, where will most of the "problems" be revealed.....at the line?

Early on when I started using a camera, I noticed myself saying things (in my mind) "Don't do that, it wouldn't look right." Later I realized this was a good thing. I was actually thinking about the consequences of a "poor approach". The action seems to slow down.

Awareness is a whole lot cooler when you actually begin to feel yourself correcting something before it happens. It seems strange, but the camera can be kind of like a totally non-judgemental motivator.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I think a video camera is great. But even better is having someone much more knowledgeable then you watch you on the line with your dogs. That's a real eye opener.

The way you do things might not be the best way. Plus you could flat out be hindering your dog, and never know it because you do train alone. I know this is not you kwicklabs,,,, but think about it...

Power loves a vacuum... ;-)

Sorry about getting a little off topic here.

Angie

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'd have to say that the most valuable training tool would be a good mentor that isn't afraid to hurt your feelings

·
Registered
5,025 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'd have to say that the most valuable training tool would be a good mentor that isn't afraid to hurt your feelings
Perfectly put Grasshopper. I would never call my mentors tools but if we are listing training aids the mentor is at the top of list. Without my mentors a video of me running my dog would mean nothing to me.

I will admit that I would love to have a days training taped but if I had to choose between the qualified mentor and a video camera, I'd take the mentor every time.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I think a video camera is great. But even better is having someone much more knowledgeable then you watch you on the line with your dogs. That's a real eye opener.

The way you do things might not be the best way. Plus you could flat out be hindering your dog, and never know it because you do train alone.......but think about it.....Power loves a vacuum....

Sorry about getting a little off topic here....
I don't think you are off topic. There is no question a video is of little value if the viewer doesn't see issues. There is a certain level of politeness (or not) when a video is presented on RTF. The worst observation is a post that oozes "that's nice" even though they are biting their tongue to say something to the contrary. The whole purpose of a video camera in training sessions is for personal analysis.

Everyone has to start somewhere and seeing yourself in action is potentially a great motivator. Then again some will see only what they want to see. Isn't that normal?

Frankly, when I first became involve in actually training a dog, I went to an HRC training session and immediately started making decision like, "I would like to be able to train like that person........but not some of the others".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts