RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from taking my CLF to Bud McConnaughey with Red Label Kennel. The house doesn't feel the same without her here. I can only afford 3. months at this time so hopefully she's a fast learner. That will put her home for dove season though so that's nice. All I can say is its going to be a long 3 months.

Gerald

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks JTS. I just hope its enough time. With a baby due in July my wife will strangle me if I go longer at this point. He came very highly recommended.

Thanks
Gerald

·
Registered
217 Posts
I feel your pain I took my pup to the trainer on the first and it feels like she's been gone for months and she's gonna be there for about 6 months

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have been thinking if work gets out of hand I will send my pup to Mallard Run Kennels so she will be ready this fall but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm two weeks into it with my dog. It's driving me nuts not having her around but I have a couple of friends that train in the group with the trainer so I get updates on how she's doing.That helps alot.
It's strange not having to load up and train somewhere with her but I'm using the time to catch up a little around the house. I figure I should use some of that time to get out and toss some dummies for others too while she's gone. Payback for all those that help us.

·
Registered
150 Posts
in the same retriever club as bud, the man knows his stuff. very nice guy. has let a few of us have the run on his technical water and grounds on occassion. i have learned a ton just sitting listening to him. heck, called him out of the blue 2 years ago just to find a pup without knowing him at all. put me onto a great pup.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once I got it through my head that if I was going to have a decent hunting dog I better let someone that knows what they are doing train her.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
For those of you that know Bud/Dale witch name does he prefer to be called? His website says Bud, but the card he gave me says Dale.

Also what is the appropriate time frame to what before calling to check on a dog. Friday will be a week and I can't wait to hear his opininion of her.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My guy has been at the trainers for a month and a half. It's tough and given that I travel for a living it's probably even tougher on my wife. It was always fun coming home from a 3 or 4 day work trip to be greeted by our Chessie...no one greets you like your dog! My trainer is great about keeping in touch, sending pictures, etc. We have our first visit scheduled for next week and I can't wait. I think they key to staying positive is to continually think about two things... 1) The dog is having a blast working everyday so it's hard on me not him 2) The end result is going to be something that will give the two of us a bond that most don't get to experience.

As for contacting the trainer for updates, I would ask first how frequently up you should expect to hear something. If you plan to contact, I usually lead with an email or text.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Once I got it through my head that if I was going to have a decent hunting dog I better let someone that knows what they are doing train her.
Care to get into more detail as to how you came to this conclusion and how you made your decision?? I've got a 1 year old and am undecided on how I want to progress with him. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Daniel I started training her as a puppy. Im in the Army National Guard and had to do a ton of duties home station with flooding and tornados. She basically was a pet for a year during this time frame with some basic ob and still tons for retrieves. Onces things settled I again got into training her again, but with work and kids. I was only getting 3 to 4 days in a week. I could tell that things were going to take longer then if she had hands on everyday. Plus yes all the training books/videos are great but they look a lot eaiser then what it really is to progress. At least it did for me. Im not into the games but I do want a very ob hunting partner and I felt that if she was going to be anything I better get Bud on it.

Thanks
Gerald

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
thanks for sharing. I hope she returns as the best hunting buddy a guy could ask for!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I heard Bud would never train a chocolate...

guess he has gone soft!!!!!!

Bud's a good guy and will treat you and your pup well!

·
Registered
125 Posts
In the same boat as well. Didn't want to bug the trainer for the first month, but the trainer is really pleased at how well she is doing. Just gaining her confidence around other dogs... I went through the Hillman video and the trainer was really happy with what I sent. She also said she doesn't see a lot of pups that are willing to please as her. Took her to Ouachita Waterdogs in West Monroe, LA... Not far from the Duck Commander's Camp:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JTS that's where my lack of knowledge comes out to shine. What about not taking off before sent? Is this possible in 3 months? I took her dove hunting last season. I had to stake her next to me and release her after the birds feel. If i shot a double she would retrieve both birds if she seen them fall. I just hated that I didn't have control of her while I was shooting unless staked next to me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you JTS I really do appreciate all of the advice. There's so much for a guy to learn it can be overwhelming sometimes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After a couple weeks I got a report from Bud. He said she is an extremely excellent marker that absolutely loves it and has the gas to go 100mph. I know this isn't much but its a ton of good knees for me.

Thanks
Gerald

1 - 20 of 25 Posts