RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening, just as I was getting supper on the table, my dear old friend called and asked if I was up for rescuing a mama dog who had apparently whelped her litter under someone's deck. My friend is president of the local humane society and pretty much the switchboard for animals in need when animal control isn't around (which means evenings, weekends, holidays and lots of other times). She's battled pancreatic cancer, several heart attacks and is a little older than my mother, but not much stops her when there's a call for help. I'm just the muscle, but we've had our assorted adventures over the past 20 odd years.

Roping my husband into action, we gathered shovels, flashlights, hotdogs and met my friend at the house, about 20 miles away. The homeowner is a tiny little lady with an immaculate home and an assortment of dogs, so the mama dog made a wise choice in that regard. Her location under the back deck, not so much. Last week we had about 18" of snow and it was a whopping 9 degrees this morning, though it did warm up to the 20s, it's still far too cold for newborn pups.

Walking was treacherous, snowbanks were high, daylight just about gone. There was a smidge of space cleared to get on my knees and peek under the deck, which was too low to get more than my arm & head under. Mama was just out of arm's reach, appeared to be a biggish husky/shepherd mix. She didn't growl or even acknowledge my presence, being very busy cleaning her puppies. I managed to snag a couple of the pups with a little toy leaf rake, which she'd do her darndest to grab back, and pass them out to the others waiting with towels, but it took some time and improvisation to finally get a lead to loop over mama's head and drag her out. Then the rest of the pups, except for one little adventurer that thought he needed to crawl further away and almost made it, I barely caught his tail in time. Their cords weren't dried up, so they weren't very old, and they certainly had lungs that worked.

Homeowner was willing to keep mom & pups in her house overnight til the shelter opens tomorrow and space is found there. I'm soaked from laying in the snow for nearly an hour and I know I can feel things crawling in my hair and down my neck (not really, it's too cold for anything to actually be moving, but still, I don't do creepy crawlies very well). As I have puppies of my own at home, we sprayed ourselves down with the bottle I keep in the van before we got in, then stripped on the deck at home and bolted straight in to the shower.

The stray mama with a likely dubious history of any kind of health care or proper diet managed to dig under a deck and whelp 7 variegated puppies in freezing temperatures in dirt and rocks. Last weekend, one of my Labs, despite progesterone timing, 1000 miles of travel to the stud, holistic diet, supplements, blood tests, xrays and pretty much 9 weeks of pampering, managed to whelp one puppy in her heated, padded whelping box and it was stillborn. Mother Nature surely has a way of pointing out that you really can't top her, no matter how much science you bring to the table.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nice job, sorry for your loss last weekend.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thank you for sharing and helping the animals in need, this world is a better place because of people like you

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Great Job, Kim!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Good job Kim, I am glad you were there for those puppies and mamma dog. Very sorry about your litter.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I'm with ya Kim!! Good for you helping out the mama and her pups.. Mother Nature always has the upper hand. No matter how smart we think we are.

Angie

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It truly is my friend that's the one, she is a remarkable woman, one of those unsung saints that walks the walk. It pisses me off that she's been put through the wringer with her health, that she likely isn't going to live to a ripe old age, when she's devoted pretty much her entire life to fostering people and animals and organizing community projects. She got our shelter built and keeps it running, a new playground for the schools, saved the old movie theater downtown, which is now a vibrant showcase for live performances. She is what the world needs, people who just get things done, expect nothing in return, do not want the limelight at all, but aren't preachy or sanctimonious. She's a gifted artist and she can out party people half her age, including myself. I'd crawl under a deck every day for her if it would keep her on this earth.

And our husbands who put up with us and clean up behind us, they're not so bad themselves.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wow, what a night! Can't imaginge the outcome if there weren't great people around to help!

I just looked up were you are located, I have been working in Spooner for nearly a year now, didn't realize you drove that far to train at Kelly!

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, what a night! Can't imaginge the outcome if there weren't great people around to help!

I just looked up were you are located, I have been working in Spooner for nearly a year now, didn't realize you drove that far to train at Kelly!
2 hours, my door to Kelly Farms, or Duluth, the closest places I've had to train on advanced tech water, different fields. Ponds around here for some stuff, but the drought killed alot of them. We need to move closer to MN (I can't quite force myself to live in the land of the Vikings, lol).

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Thanks for helping out that poor Momma dog and her puppies.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Living in Minnesota isn't all bad...lots of cheddar heads as my husband calls me being from Wisconsin!

Great work with the pups, hope they all do well. I understand the feeling with mother nature letting all things go well then we do all the work and try to do it right and stuff goes wrong.

Same things happened growing up raising cattle and sheep. It was never just the average ones that got sick, struck by lightning, or had still born offspring it was always the best one in the pasture.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
now thats a party!
sounds like it's time for a hot tub on that deck :D
good job with the pups

I agree, Ken, hot tub on the deck would be nice, at least in the winter. Wonder if I can put that as a business expense, hot tub on deck for sanitizing bodies before entering home, hmmmm. Glad we have no neighbors, probably, so are they. ;-)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
great job saving the puppies!!
You're right, it's so ironic. Sort of like how every mutt in the alley can achieve a natural breeding, and so many of the hot shot purebred stud dogs just can't get it right....

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
great job saving the puppies!!
You're right, it's so ironic. Sort of like how every mutt in the alley can achieve a natural breeding, and so many of the hot shot purebred stud dogs just can't get it right....
I know, sometimes, you just have to shake your head. Pretty sure I could leave the same bitch out back when she comes in heat again, and she'd have 12 pups by a coyote, no problem.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And the mom and pups were made comfortable in the shelter today, none the worse for wear. They'll all get spayed/neutered, fully vetted and found homes when they're weaned, including mom.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts