RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is to all the newbie’s, retires and retriever lovers of the world. I got a late start in this hunt test, field trial game, only been playing for about four years now and just turn 60 last November. After retiring from a job that I hated, I wanted to do something that I would truly enjoy for a change so I got a part time job scooping poop and throwing ducks. The very first time I say a lab retrieve a mark after being sent by his name and then to deliver to hand I was hooked. Whether it was stubbornness or stupidity I had decided from the start that when I got my own lab she wasn’t going to run from no one else’s side but my own whether in training or competition. Did I do it all by myself, heck no, I have a small library of books and DVD’s, joined a great retriever club and had a pro that I could ask questions whenever I got in a jam. Besides my children and grandchildren this new game I’m playing has given me more joy and sometimes frustration then anything that I can think of. I have come away from a few field trials or hunt tests on cloud nine and sometimes madder than hell, I’m usually mad at myself or maybe a judge or two but it’s hard to be mad at my dog. I know she tries so hard to do it right and to make me happy that it just seem wrong to take it out on her. People like Ray Goodrick and Gordon Powers and others like them give me hope that I can play this game for another 30 years or more and that is a great feeling to have. I have never been much of a people person but some of the nicest people I have ever meet I have meet in the last four years. So if you are thinking about giving this game a try whether you are 20 or 70 you will never know if you can swim unless you get in the water. Best of luck to all.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Well said. These dogs are fearless, we should try to be the same.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Well said and I feel very similarly about the enjoyment I get from training and generally, just watching and talking dogs with people.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well said! It's hard to stay mad with your best friend at the line right beside you!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Very encouraging words, Terry. I'm just in my 3rd year and have wondered if I started too late at 42. The answer is yes and no. Yes, because, it's the most fun I've ever had in a hobby - wish I had found it sooner. And No, it's not too late, because it's the most fun I've ever had in a hobby.

In my situation, The key is to not lose the fun in worrying about the end results, but to preserve the fun by making it about the process of getting to the end result.

Congrats on not having to go to work everyday to a job you hate!!!

Jennifer

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's all about the journey ,and it sounds like you are on a GREAT ONE !!! enjoy it.
Dave Hare

·
Registered
150 Posts
couldn't have said it better. i sure wish i could have found this game long ago. always had good duck dogs (minus a couple)but never took them to their full potential and now i sit wondering a lot just how they could have been. at 39 got one that just turned 2 and have loved every minute of every hour put into him. frustrating at times, sure but that is part of the fun as well. i have a job i used to care for but after 18 years of the crap i am done. it is a job to me now and that is it. if i wasn't on the downhill side of it i would be out of it. training is not only my hobby it is my stress reliever. love the training and love playing the ht game. almost as much as the dog.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
thank you for a very well said post.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Great post and kudos to you.

I myself am new to the retriever game, been it about the same time span as you. And I have approached the training world in about the same manner as yourself, lucky I have a pro that can fix my blunders. I have always loved dogs and I have always hunted, and when I finally got my own hunting dog I was truly addicted to the sport. Now I have two dogs, a hunting dog and a test dog.

A side note about Gordon Powers, Gordon trains on the same grounds that I do. I have seen Gordon train often but last week was the first time I really spent any time talking to the man. Gordon and Gordon's generation are truly what made this country and our sport great. I had the privilege of hearing about Gordon's first hunting dogs, Gordon actually hunted with Lieutenant Colonel James Doolittle, Gordon is a pilot and was a pilot in world war two, the list of accomplishments goes on. At 96 Gordon is an approachable, personable man with much wisdom about life and dogs to share.

Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Great post...I feel the same way. It's tough when you don't do well at a test but after breaking it down it's usually my fault.

I've met some wonderful folks and I have such a great time that I regroup and nose to the grindstone back to training in an effort to teach my dog what I want it to do.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've always been happy to be with my dogs, despite being their greatest impediment to progress sometimes. I do have a question for you guys that have had kids and put them through college and such.

Right now, I have backed completely out of hunt tests and hunt about half as much as I did a few years ago (dropped the duck club). It's not that I want to, I just want to make sure I'm taking care of everything at home and getting my kids set up to make the best of their talents and opportunities. 2 kids x 100K is a lot of money to come up with for college, I think we can get them through without debt. I'm not handing them this... I expect a lot out of my kids and expect them to work and contribute also.(and they do). The cost of failure for a young adult is considerably higher than it was for one 20 years ago.

When does this stuff get better and you get a little of your life back.... ?

Having said that I know I am blessed and would give up the dogs and hunting completely if I needed to. But right now I daydream about having a giant garden and hanging out training my dogs.

P.S. Going to the state Jr High Track meet today to watch my youngest (12 ) in the long jump.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Terry , seeing you and how committed to testing and training and how without knowing anything about the green horn with the young pup trying to train, you gave advice when asked and was nothing but a gentelman , your well on the way to giving back to this sport already , you are right, meeting some great people , seeing some very nice dogs ( like your Sunny) it sure make this worth doing.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
I met Mr Goodrich at the National Amateur in '74 which was being held at Mather AFB in Sacramento...got to see my favorite dog Ray's Rascal up close and personal, he ended up winning that National...Ray and his lovely wife DeDe have given more to the retriever game than many clubs combined, he continues to allow the use of his property to host the National when its in his area....and yet Ray is still not in the RHOF, something is not quite right about that..He is one of the great gentlemen of the sport

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
This is to all the newbie’s, retires and retriever lovers of the world. I got a late start in this hunt test, field trial game, only been playing for about four years now and just turn 60 last November. After retiring from a job that I hated, I wanted to do something that I would truly enjoy for a change so I got a part time job scooping poop and throwing ducks. The very first time I say a lab retrieve a mark after being sent by his name and then to deliver to hand I was hooked. Whether it was stubbornness or stupidity I had decided from the start that when I got my own lab she wasn’t going to run from no one else’s side but my own whether in training or competition. Did I do it all by myself, heck no, I have a small library of books and DVD’s, joined a great retriever club and had a pro that I could ask questions whenever I got in a jam. Besides my children and grandchildren this new game I’m playing has given me more joy and sometimes frustration then anything that I can think of. I have come away from a few field trials or hunt tests on cloud nine and sometimes madder than hell, I’m usually mad at myself or maybe a judge or two but it’s hard to be mad at my dog. I know she tries so hard to do it right and to make me happy that it just seem wrong to take it out on her. People like Ray Goodrick and Gordon Powers and others like them give me hope that I can play this game for another 30 years or more and that is a great feeling to have. I have never been much of a people person but some of the nicest people I have ever meet I have meet in the last four years. So if you are thinking about giving this game a try whether you are 20 or 70 you will never know if you can swim unless you get in the water. Best of luck to all.
I would like to shake your hand. :cool:
When I retire...soon, I will get back into the circuit where I can give something that I really care for a second chance. I owe that to myself and fallen dogs.
This quote comes to mind and it is close to my heart....

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, it is measured by the moments that take your breath away".

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well said, I"ve bred and started lots of meat dogs, and my breedings have gone on to be well known gun dogs, but this is my first yr as a competitor, tommorow is my first event, a WC and Im nervous. the dog Im running is my 4.5 yr old blf, a great goose dog and she's done well in training as my abilites go, but tonight she pulled a stubborn act and pouted , stopping part way out on marks and making me handle her in.... Im nervous she'll pull this tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Well said, I"ve bred and started lots of meat dogs, and my breedings have gone on to be well known gun dogs, but this is my first yr as a competitor, tommorow is my first event, a WC and Im nervous. the dog Im running is my 4.5 yr old blf, a great goose dog and she's done well in training as my abilites go, but tonight she pulled a stubborn act and pouted , stopping part way out on marks and making me handle her in.... Im nervous she'll pull this tomorrow!
She may or may not. Dogs have bad days like us. Just give her good eye contact, good body language and a soft voice so that she knows you are there for her no matter what. They sense that better than us. Just be fair:2c:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts