RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read story after story and what dog food to feed. I was a loyal Diamond fan until all the recall mess. I have had good luck with Purina Pro Plan with my last Lab. I pitched my Diamond Puppy and went with Enhance as a local feed mill carried the puppy food.

Now I just spoke with an older guy who has had his lab on purina dog chow for over 16 yrs. My sister had her Huskie on purina till she passed at 15yrs..

My dogs have always done well on Diamond and their coats very shiny. I have read about all the research that Purina does and would love to expand my dogs life. I am guessing it is more genes than food.

Purina dog chow for 16yrs?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Purely anecdotal, but I have 5 ranging in age from 13-16, all on Purina Pro Plan, all active and in good health. Lab, pointer, pointer, pointer, Jack Russell. I have never had dogs live this long/well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purely anecdotal, but I have 5 ranging in age from 13-16, all on Purina Pro Plan, all active and in good health. Lab, pointer, pointer, pointer, Jack Russell. I have never had dogs live this long/well.
If I can get 16yrs out of a dog on dog chow I will do that. Maybe purina knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Purina Dog chow?? Nope . not ever....you may as well throw him a couple ears of corn every day.....too low in fat and protein for working dogs also
Purina Proplan and Purina Dog Chow are completely different foods, and manufactured by DIFFERENT companys

Whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), meat and bone meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, whole grain wheat, egg and chicken flavor, animal digest, calcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2), zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
X-4101

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Purina Dog chow?? Nope . not ever....you may as well throw him a couple ears of corn every day.....too low in fat and protein for working dogs also
Purina Proplan and Purina Dog Chow are completely different foods, and manufactured by DIFFERENT companys

Whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), meat and bone meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, whole grain wheat, egg and chicken flavor, animal digest, calcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2), zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
X-4101
I am with you but 16yrs?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
It was not because of the food....there are way to many factors to consider (genetics, cancer free, location, weight management, exercise and just GOOD luck) on why a dog might live a long life, than to switch to a JUNK dog food.

I had a bitch live to 15 and one that I placed recently died at 16+1month. They were not fed Dog Chow

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have some friends who have a pomeranian that is 21 almost 22 years old and they feed him cat food because thats all he will eat. Poor lil fellar is looking rough but seems to feel good.

·
Registered
946 Posts
It was not because of the food....there are way to many factors to consider (genetics, cancer free, location, weight management, exercise and just GOOD luck) on why a dog might live a long life, than to switch to a JUNK dog food.

I had a bitch live to 15 and one that I placed recently died at 16+1month. They were not fed Dog Chow
There was a study a while back in europe on longevity in dogs. Factors that increased longevity were being slightly underweight, living in a home without kids, eating a non comercial diet, living in a rural enviroment, etc. The biggest difference was keeping the dog lean and feeding a non comercial food.

Will try and find the study and add it

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
My Grandfather fried bacon every morning for breakfast before cooking the eggs in the bacon greese, he lived till he was 96, its not all about the food.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My grandparents on my Dads sides has clear minds into their 90's. My Mother had signs of Alzheimers in her early 60's. It is a roll of the dice for me. I hope I have a clear mind at least till my grandkids complete college. More than likely Alzheimers hill hit me in my 60's.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My Grandfather fried bacon every morning for breakfast before cooking the eggs in the bacon greese, he lived till he was 96, its not all about the food.
Remarkably eggs are a pretty good food and so is bacon in the sence that neither is highly processed. Now if he had eaten a big mac for breakfast or other highly processed food then that would be saying something. ;-)

Studies on dog food and longevity are pretty easy to do because dogs do not live long and it is pretty easy to control what they eat. People on the other hand live a long time and very rarely eat the same thing every day of their lives.

The studys show that dogs that eat less food live longer on average than dogs that eat more food, and dogs that eat comercial dog foods live shorter lives than those that don't.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am with you but 16yrs?
You have to remember a lot of dog foods changed in the early 2000's when there was a HUGE pet food recall. Almost every manufacture had to pull food of the shelves. Then there's the formula change. I'm not sure about dog chow but I know Nutro, and Science Diet have all change their formulas at least 4 to 5 times in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well I know i will not be so paranoid if I give me dogs Dog Chow. I think Purina is a good company and much better than Diamond with all their recalls.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well I now i will not be so paranoid if I give me dogs Dog Chow. I think Purina is a good company and much better than Diamond with all their recalls ,
Don't let people beat you up over it.(I feed Pro Plan) The main thing is not to over feed. As already suggested, keeping a dog slim and getting plenty of exercise is the key imo. Holds true for humans too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts