RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to dinner in Fort Collins, Colorado with my co-judge, Michael Moore.

After dinner, as I am headed into the La Quinta, a young woman and her mother approach me and ask me "Are you here to take the dogs?" (I was driving my chassis mount.)

I replied "I don't know what you are talking about."

The young woman (20-25 years of age) said "We called the police about that truck over there. It is too hot for the dogs."

Shortly afterwards, the police approached Tim Milligan and told him that because the temperature was over 90 degrees (it hit 100 today) he could not have his dogs in his chassis mount and trailer. He could either leave Fort Collins or get arrested.

Tim left.

Big Brother is alive and well.

·
Registered
592 Posts
if people only new, the sad part is they people involved really think they are doing the right thing
and as for the officer he should have at least spent time to here the story
David Jansma

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Two issues....

1. May I post this to a series of pet-law forums. I'll drop the names and paraphrase the story.

2. If this town is where the field trial is being held, the owners/handlers should be warned because it will happen again.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
I've never had the opportunity to really inspect one of those purpose built dog carriers, so they look pretty stifling to me. What actually keeps the dogs from overheating in them on hot, humid days?

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I'm the FTS (club rep) I plan to write a letter to the chamber of commerce. This is not the only trial held in this area, it's a first for my club. The word will be spread...

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I've never had the opportunity to really inspect one of those purpose built dog carriers, so they look pretty stifling to me. What actually keeps the dogs from overheating in them on hot, humid days?
Insulation & Ventilation

·
Registered
883 Posts
Years ago I remember a Field Trial being held in South Louisiana. There was a chasis mount that belonged to Chances Are Kennels at the trial. They had a generator mounted on the rear of the box that ran an air conditioning unit for the box and one for the crew cab. There was a probe thermometer into one of the crates. When it came time to run, Mary Lou Chance got out of the cab, banged on the box to wake the dogs up and hollered at them to come out in the heat. The probe thermometer read the inside temp at 72 degrees!

I wonder what ever happened to the Chances, haven't seen them since, Bill

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
I had a similar incident in Fort Collins 4-5 years ago although the police were never involved, a threatening note was left on my truck stating among other things "this is not Texas". I reported the incident to the motel but nothing came of it. There is a faction in Fort Collins that wants to be Boulder or Berkley, hello Colofornia!

·
Registered
12,596 Posts
This type of crap so makes my blood boil! Years back, a very nice feller from Massachusetts. Don’t make the joke, there are like 7 of them. Named Jim used to come to tests in a white panel truck. What some call a van. When he would pull up, in my minds eye I would think. “Who called a plumber?” Nobody ever could tell what was in the truck. Guess ol’ Jim is just ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Went out to dinner in Fort Collins, Colorado with my co-judge, Michael Moore.

After dinner, as I am headed into the La Quinta, a young woman and her mother approach me and ask me "Are you here to take the dogs?" (I was driving my chassis mount.)

I replied "I don't know what you are talking about."

The young woman (20-25 years of age) said "We called the police about that truck over there. It is too hot for the dogs."

Shortly afterwards, the police approached Tim Milligan and told him that because the temperature was over 90 degrees (it hit 100 today) he could not have his dogs in his chassis mount and trailer. He could either leave Fort Collins or get arrested.

Tim left.

Big Brother is alive and well.
So they thought one chassis mount was there to save the dogs from a chassis mount? Seems logical. Seems he could have showed them the truck and how safe the dogs are, did the cops ignore that?

/paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was in Neb. for an event. I had contacted a friend that was hosting it an asked for a place to train. He took me out to his private grounds. As I was leaving I noticed cars at the gate. Much to my suprise 2cops and animal control.After talking an proving I had permission to be there they in formed me that someone had called and said I was putting dogs into a large metal box. I could not help it and I told them that ever since Mike Vic got in trouble it was hard for me to even walk a dog in the park. Ifnyou know me you know why.....The reason I use to use the horse trailer was I got tired of the knoxs on the hotel door by cops wanting to know what I was doing withnthe dogs. They are much safer in a dog truck as Ted is proff. than in the back of a mini van that was not but for the safe transport of animals. warm when cold out and cool when its hot. tellus

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
unbelievable....I am glad that these "do gooders":rolleyes: did not turn any of the dogs loose, wish people would just mind their own business and leave us dog people alone..They have no idea how well we take care of our animals, no idea at all

Is there a place or person to write and show our displeasure on how this was handled or do you Colorado residents think it would be better to just walk away quietly...after getting the once over from the Utah DNR during Colorado elk season last year, I have no problem sending multiple letters to govt agencies

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
What are they going to do tonight when the La Quinta parking lot is filled with chassis mounts?

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So they thought one chassis mount was there to save the dogs from a chassis mount? Seems logical. Seems he could have showed them the truck and how safe the dogs are, did the cops ignore that?

/paul

I am told that Tim tried to explain to the police how his chassis mount and trailer were designed to ensure that the dogs were properly ventilated, but that they were having none of it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I talked with TIM, the officer said it was a county ordinance. Hope the antis don't show up at the trial as it will be over the imposed 90 today.

I was hit by antis on my way to Onaway this year. Came out to air dogs, thought blood was coming out of Chili's hole. Nope Arbys sauce, the dogooders had feed them arbys sandwiches and curly fries. Now I have dogs with the sh*ts. Really mad when I discovered they had pulled my valve stem out of front tire.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I talked with TIM, the officer said it was a county ordinance. Hope the antis don't show up at the trial as it will be over the imposed 90 today.

I was hit by antis on my way to Onaway this year. Came out to air dogs, thought blood was coming out of Chili's hole. Nope Arbys sauce, the dogooders had feed them arbys sandwiches and curly fries. Now I have dogs with the sh*ts. Really mad when I discovered they had pulled my valve stem out of front tire.
Wow! So, now you have dogs with the craps and potential for a serious accident with having a flat. Little did they think that they put the dogs in more jeopardy by taking your valve stem out than you ever would by having them in a well ventilated dog box with fans. Hippies make me angry!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Well to quote Ron White, you can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
It may be handy, to help fend of antis and ignorant do gooders, to make a label or placard and mount on your dog box.
center text for printing
After reading the Act you can make up your own placard based on what you think is important.

WARNING
Animal Enterprise Protection Act
ORDINANCE NO.18 USC, SECTION 43, PUBLIC LAW 102-346
Tampering with, bothering, injuring, abusing, or causing damage or harm to these animals is a punishable offense under the Animal Enterprise Protection Act of 1992.
Penalties include fines, damages and restitution as well as prison sentences ranging from one year to life.
Thank you for respecting our animals

·
Registered
5,025 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Years ago I remember a Field Trial being held in South Louisiana. There was a chasis mount that belonged to Chances Are Kennels at the trial. They had a generator mounted on the rear of the box that ran an air conditioning unit for the box and one for the crew cab. There was a probe thermometer into one of the crates. When it came time to run, Mary Lou Chance got out of the cab, banged on the box to wake the dogs up and hollered at them to come out in the heat. The probe thermometer read the inside temp at 72 degrees!

I wonder what ever happened to the Chances, haven't seen them since, Bill
His daughter worked at my vets office which recently closed. She has "retired" since they closed. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Chance passed away already, not sure about the Mrs.
My very first lab came from one of their dogs, very nice folks.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts