RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished the clean up and touch up on Saturday night, brought it in the house today. I built this 3 years ago with our 1st litter (8 pups). Have loaned it out the last 2 years for 2 other litters, has whelped 26 pups so far. Art work is new this time, by me.
Any thoughts from others, what do you use to whelp your pups?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi2nBZ6pS7Y

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
The one thing that I saw (my door was the same as yours) is that I sawed (parallel to the floor) the door into three pieces about 8" wide. When the puppies are young, no door. As they age I would put 1, 2, or all 3 door pieces in as they grew. Also, we cut a 18" square hole in the side the faced the most human activity and then covered it with 3/8" plexiglass. Once the puppies were able to get around, we'd often find them watching us through the window and I've often thought that this kept them from trying to climb out for a long time.

Also, I bought at Lowes an 8" pvc "T" joint. Once the eyes were open I put that in and the puppies loved it. It introduced them to confined space (crate) and also gave them a heck of a fun thing to do ... hide-n-seek, running around like tag, etc. Their first playground and it cost about $20. They were the first to go through the tunnels at agility class.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have never whelped a litter before but the video was great (and the artwork on the box!). I can tell you really care for your pups. Good luck with the litter and keep us posted.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one thing that I saw (my door was the same as yours) is that I sawed (parallel to the floor) the door into three pieces about 8" wide. When the puppies are young, no door. As they age I would put 1, 2, or all 3 door pieces in as they grew. Also, we cut a 18" square hole in the side the faced the most human activity and then covered it with 3/8" plexiglass. Once the puppies were able to get around, we'd often find them watching us through the window and I've often thought that this kept them from trying to climb out for a long time.

Also, I bought at Lowes an 8" pvc "T" joint. Once the eyes were open I put that in and the puppies loved it. It introduced them to confined space (crate) and also gave them a heck of a fun thing to do ... hide-n-seek, running around like tag, etc. Their first playground and it cost about $20. They were the first to go through the tunnels at agility class.
I have never whelped a litter before but the video was great (and the artwork on the box!). I can tell you really care for your pups. Good luck with the litter and keep us posted.
Eric, I like that idea of large Tee fitting, will work great as a teething toy at the 5-7 week stage too. Easy to clean also. We are, or try to be clean freaks when it comes to the puppies. The 1st week I put them in a warm towel in a laundry basket after the eat and get drowsy, so I can wipe the entire inside down with disinfecting wipes at least 3x a day. Wife and I work different shifts so we only have about an hour of time when the pups are not being watched. As they get older and momma stops cleaning up their mess, we stay on top of it, that's where the overflow side comes in handy. A towel in the dryer for a few minutes to warm, laid on that side of the divider, pups go over there... 6 bleach wipes later, air dry, then fresh clean linens or towel go down, then pups are back on it. Kinda get into a grove after a few days.

Olaf, yes, I really am a bit over the top, but my pups deserve the best-according to me. ( :
Will be posting regularly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Eric, I like that idea of large Tee fitting, will work great as a teething toy at the 5-7 week stage too. Easy to clean also. We are, or try to be clean freaks when it comes to the puppies. The 1st week I put them in a warm towel in a laundry basket after the eat and get drowsy, so I can wipe the entire inside down with disinfecting wipes at least 3x a day. Wife and I work different shifts so we only have about an hour of time when the pups are not being watched. As they get older and momma stops cleaning up their mess, we stay on top of it, that's where the overflow side comes in handy. A towel in the dryer for a few minutes to warm, laid on that side of the divider, pups go over there... 6 bleach wipes later, air dry, then fresh clean linens or towel go down, then pups are back on it. Kinda get into a grove after a few days.

Olaf, yes, I really am a bit over the top, but my pups deserve the best-according to me. ( :
Will be posting regularly.

Not over the top at all. I know the feeling. Before my pup arrived in January I had already ordered her training DVD's in the summer and her food bowls in October. Very exciting stuff!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I had the same basic whelping box arrangement except ... mine was built with 3/4" finish grade plywood and stained with a cherry stain. It was 8' x 4' with 2' walls. We had a partition that we could set up to divide the box into 2 portions.

That box was so heavy and unwieldy that eventually we sold it and I acquired the Dura Whelp system of boxes and supplies. However, it stood the test of 6 litters of really rambunctious puppies.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I like this box and your video! What are the size dimensions please.
We are planning to build one for an upcoming liter we're planning this summer if the breeding is successful.

Good luck this week and your whelping. Please keep us posted.

Thanks again;
Lorraine

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I like this box and your video! What are the size dimensions please.
We are planning to build one for an upcoming liter we're planning this summer if the breeding is successful.

Good luck this week and your whelping. Please keep us posted.

Thanks again;
Lorraine
I can build one of these, and sell it for $500, plus shipping...:) Otherwise,

Over all dimension is 4' wide x 6' long with 2' tall sides
It is simple, yet a bit complex, cuz I made it to last years. With some space to store it, when not in use, it is relatively easy to move around. Shopping list~
2 sheets of 15/32" pine plywood. If you go thicker, it will be heavier to move.
1 - 2x6x10' this gets cut into various sizes to reinforce corners, and to radius fill from floor to sides.
1 1x8x8' this will be cut to 4ft and be the divider boards.
An outdoor rug, or floor mat. This gets cut into strips and glued to the bottom, so it doesn't scratch my floors.
Vinyl sheet, (1 whole piece) or linoleum. Ask if they have any scraps that are about 6'6" long x 4'6" wide, like the end of roll = Cheap. Also some flooring adhesive for vinyl, a small bucket-half gallon is about right.
PVC pipe and fittings. I used 2" diameter.
4 pcs of door trim, these are usually 7', so you end up with some scraps here.
1-1/8" wood screws, dryway screws will work, but may rust after a few wipes with wet cloth.
A tube of PL400 or construction adhesive, and a tube of caulk.
Sandpaper, paint supplies, and paint.

Tools ~ Hole saw, jig saw, table saw, screw gun, drill and 1/8" bit, glue trowel for adhesive, caulk gun, tape measure and pencil.

Cut the plywood first. From the end of the sheets, measure 24" - mark a line across. Cut on the short side of the line, leaving the bigger piece at 6ft exactly after cut. Do the same to the 2nd sheet, these become the ends of your box. Now the 2 bigger pieces, 1 is your bottom floor, the other cut right down the middle to make the 2 long sides.
Now it gets a bit trickier. All sides get attached to the bottom sheet of plywood (smooth side up) and each other with a block on the inside. First the bottom blocks. I cut the 2x6 into usable size blocks - a 6ft and just under 4ft with one cut. With table saw, rip a 1" block off of both of these, making a 1.5x1x6' and a 1.5x1x4'. If you are skilled with a table saw these can be cut at an angle to create a cove piece...

5/8" or what the thickest part of the door molding is, as it will sit atop here to hold vinyl down and protect the edge of the vinyl from
pups
_____
l~-~-~\
l-~-~-~\
l~-~-~--\ 1" tall
l-~-~-~--\
l________\ <-- end view after cut.
1.5"
Cut your miters of these in the corners, and start to dry fit to ensure things will match, be flush, when you do final assembly. Have a helper mark with a pencil the lines on the bottom inside the side as you hold it in place. This line is where the above cove filler will be. The Cove filler serves 2 purposes. 1 is to radius up so the floor vinyl rolls up the sides, the other is to give you some meat to screw into holding the sides to the bottom. Apply a bead of tubed construction adhesive to the inside of this pencil line, place the cut to length cove piece first, screw up through the bottom into this cove piece. install both long sides, then measure, cut and install the cove at the ends, again on the inside of the pencil line. Screws should be spaced no more than 6" apart. Pre-drill if necessary to prevent splitting.

After allowing to dry on a flat surface, now the sides can be attached, again put a bead of adhesive on the outer face of the cove so the side can bond to it. Align and pre-drill and screw it together. In the corners where 2 sides meet, use a piece of scrap wood and run a few temporary screws into it to stabilize and hold while the adhesive sets up. Using pieces of the unused 2x6 cut yourself some triangular shaped blocks -Gussets -and permanently install at the top of the sides, inside, glue and screw. More unused scraps, cut a 1x1x? to go vertically inside each corner, glue and screw. Screws should pull plywood tight to blocks, squeezing out a bit of adhesive - wipe away squeeze out at this time.

Now the vinyl sheet. Must be trimmed to fit up the sides and sit atop the odd shaped cove filler. DRY fit this to be sure you like the way it sits, make some marks as reference to alignment fit, then roll it up and set aside. Apply vinyl adhesive with a trowel is an angular pattern, re-install and unroll vinyl using the reference marks you made. Find something to apply heavy pressure, or roll out starting in the center and work toward the edges. Run the edges up the cove and staple into the top, holding the vinyl tight as you go. Next, the door casing can be cut to fit, glued and screwed atop this, hiding the staples.

Last tricky part is the door. Figure out where entry is best for you, or the nursing momma. Measure and mark from center of that out 10" left and right of this center line. Use a straight edge and draw the centerline down 15". From there, measure over 6" L&R of centerline. Connect the marks from the top to the marks near the bottom. Cut on these 3 lines, DO NOT CUT ON CENTERLINE. This piece becomes your door. Adding scrap pieces to the inside and outside of it holds it in place.

Hole saw can be used to put "hand holds" in, but keep them up high, you'll understand why at 6 weeks old

Caulk all inside seems, joints, edges with latex caulk, let dry, and prep for paint. I sanded all edges to a smooth radius so no sharp corners are within reach of puppies.

If you re placing it on expensive floors, put down some cheap rugs or as I did, cut a 5'x6' porch mat into strips, and glue to the bottom. These you can see in my video as with tip it to get in the door. 1 strip came off in 3 years and 2 states travel - acceptable.

If you want a divider in it use more scraps, place the 4ft 1x8s where you'd want them, mark it, glue and screw the blocks... caution, don't make this a tight fit, as paint will make it nearly impossible to slide in and out.

Last thing, paint with a high gloss quality paint that can withstand wash down several times a day for 2 months. 1 bad case of cociddia and you'll be glad you spent $45 on a gallon of paint.

Or, go buy a baby pool, and baby gates, and lots of disinfectant...

All this, because you asked. Fun project, enjoy!
John.
(I'm a Carpenter, by trade, jsyk.)

·
Registered
170 Posts
John -
Wow - thanks so much.

I'd take you up on that offer but the shipping alone to Alaska would be quite spendy... besides we like projects and have the time.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John -
Wow - thanks so much.

I'd take you up on that offer but the shipping alone to Alaska would be quite spendy... besides we like projects and have the time.
I figured, and I'm about to be real busy here. I posted for others that may want to explore the idea also. Enjoy.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The one thing that I saw (my door was the same as yours) is that I sawed (parallel to the floor) the door into three pieces about 8" wide. When the puppies are young, no door. As they age I would put 1, 2, or all 3 door pieces in as they grew.
I have a similar set up, using 4" PVC pipe. With the door off, I slide a piece of pipe that is slot cut on ends, and stack as needed. PVC is very durable, and easy to clean, and they can gnaw, scratch, all they want, it stands up to the abuse. The lower 2" piece stays in place permanently, the 4" stacks make it harder for them to climb out.

Funny story, or not, last litter 3 years ago, wife left for work, I get home about an hour later. Routine was to walk in and do an immediate head count, 3 yellow 5 black was what I was used to seeing. One night, I walk in, count 3 yellow and 4 black. Shake my head and panic, count again... they were sleeping in a pile right in front of the door. About 5+ weeks old. Near panic, I hear a whimper from the kitchen behind me... the "Traveler" had climbed atop the pile, over the top of the door pipe, and escaped the box... went to the kitchen. My GSP stood there looking at the pup, like she was protecting, or just baffled. After that, the door went on anytime they were home alone.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Mind is close to that, we lined it with plastic shower liner, and had the PVC around the sides but never thought of the separate space. Will next time. We used a storage container to transfer to when cleaning. On the bottom we use a flexible plastic sheeting that cleaned up nicely and we could just throw away after. It was cheap enough. we do not breed very often.

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
After that, the door went on anytime they were home alone.
We learned with the first litter, when they get out faster than you can put them back, the whelping box comes down and the go into 4' high pen. We only have had one that could climb out of that and she got it genetically because her mother did the same thing at her breeder's house.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Added 7 more to the box. This Puppy Palace has now whelped 33 puppies, as of this morning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts