RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the 44-pound bag of Eukanuba maintenance at my local pet store has shrunk to 33 pounds and the guy said he can't get the bigger bags anymore. Needless to say not a happy customer here. My coupon for a free 40-pound bag or smaller was way smaller today. Anyone else been told Eukanuba is phasing out the 40 and 44 pound bags?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Euk rep told me at the Master National . Why would you make the bag for LARGE Breed smaller ??? So far I see Performance still in a 40.Around here Tractor Supply is priced best.

·
Registered
915 Posts
All the Euk around here is now the smaller bags, even Tractor Supply.

BHB

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think all dog foods are stating to go to smaller bags, but the good news is the price is still going up. Well it's good news for the company. I noticed it with Nutra Natural Choice the last bag was smaller again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
All the retail outfits will see smaller bags as stock of larger bags is exhausted. I get my PP from the Euk reps at the shows. I bought 15 bags of 44 lb bags of PP for 34.00. There is a 3 bag minimum. I get e-mails from the eastern rep of where they will be.

Scott

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
There are 2 PetSmart stores fairly close to me. Last time I needed food I found that the store I preferred (because I pass that way more often) has stopped carrying Euk. premium performance. Hopefully the other store has not stopped. I have to buy more in the next day or two. Now I won't be surprised if the bag is smaller.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
We have a local feed/seed store that orders a bag for us every 3 weeks. So far the size, 44#'s and the price, $50 have been the same since October. I hope that will continue, but thanks for the heads up if there is a change.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use a wholesale supplier, and I can still get 40lb bags. What they deliver isn't in the same packaging as what you see at any retail stores - it's kind of a plain wrap package. I guess that's a way to help keep the price down for their non-resale customers.

You might try contacting Eukanuba to see if they have a PFP distributor in your area. They call it thier PFP Program (Professional Feeding Program). It's only available to kennels - you have be a business. I don't know if there's a minimum volume that you have to buy. I average about to 600 lbs per month.

Jeff

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like the feed store where I have a breeder's account will still sell the performance premium in bulk at discount and in the 44 pound bags. so, that helps as I have more than a few dogs. I'll just have to fill it out with the 33 pound bags for the dogs that don't need high-tech fuel. I have to say I'm disappointed in Eukanuba. Smaller bags, almost as much money.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Kind of like ice cream more money but less than a half gallon.
I'd say that most dog owners would never notice the change and that's what they are hoping for.
Only ones I bet catch are people like us.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
They don't want to raise the price of the bag because as soon as they do people switch so they lower the content. I'm sure the industry as a whole can't hold the prices down as gas prices affect the cost of what they buy as raw materials for the food. The price from my distributor hasn't changed but I assume it will eventually.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Well, my local Petsmart has switched to the 33 lb. bag and is charging $49.99 for it. I checked at Tractor Supply and they charge $44.99 for it, so that is where I'll be buying it now. When the TS first opened a couple of years ago I thought I checked and their price was higher, but it isn't now. Buh-bye Petsmart.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It seems as though alot of companys are doing this. Some genius at hills decided to change all of the sizes as well, 10 pounds went to 8.5, 20 pounds to 17.6 and 30 pounds to 27.5 the only explanation I could get from our rep was that Hills thought people didnt want to buy such large quantities, really!?! People have not been happy at all, and last I heard was that Hills was going back to the original sizes. It is amazaing that someone , somewhere is paid good money to come up with these ideas.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep, I'm disappointed as well. I'm going with Pro Plan Performance as I can get a better deal in my area for that.
Interesting you find ProPlan less expensive.

I had to temporarily switch to ProPlan about a year ago, because Eukanuba had closed one of its manufacturing plants to combine ops with another plant. Different plants produce different formulas. The Large Breed Adult was unavailable for a while. So I started feeding ProPlan.

Purina doesn't offer any special consideration to high-volume non-resale customers ( I feed about 600 lbs /month on average). They have their silly "weight circles" that you have to cut off of the bag, collect, then fill out a redemption form and mail in for checks that can only be used to buy more of the product. It's quite the gimmic. You have to buy lots of the product to collect enough weight circles to send in. Then when you get the purchase checks, you can only use one $7.00 check per bag of food you buy. It's like a trap to keep you buying their product, and when you break it all down to what you're actually paying per pound of food, it's still about 10-cents per pound more expensive than Eukanuba, if you're on Eukanuba's PFP program. And Eukanuba delivers to my kennel! I'm stuck now with hundreds of dollars worth of ProPlan purchase checks, and I don't want to buy more ProPlan. The checks are useless to me, because I'm back on Eukanuba.

Another note; I have consistently found that Eukanuba produces a better coat on my dogs than any other product I've ever used. I see it every time a new client dog comes to me. Within a couple of weeks, the dog's coat is thicker and softer, and feels like it has more oil in it - which is what helps waterproof the coat. Also, I've had a few of the more fussy eaters reject Science Diet and ProPlan, but they will happily eat Eukanuba.

It's a bummer the prices are going up, but that's the Obamaconomy. I still think Eukanuba is the best product available, and the best value.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm stuck now with hundreds of dollars worth of ProPlan purchase checks, and I don't want to buy more ProPlan. The checks are useless to me, because I'm back on Eukanuba.
I'll take those off your hands if you're interested in making a deal.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was at Petsmart today to buy another backyard pooper scooper. I checked the price on Euk PP. $49.99 for a 33 lb bag.

I switched to Diamond Naturals Extreme about 2 weeks ago. My dog didn't skip a beat. Maybe her stools are maybe 10% less firm. Teeth, coat, energy...etc. haven't noticed anything different. $35.99 for 40 lb bag at TSC.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts