RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today proved to be interesting (in more ways than one). The plan was to use the
Split Casting Drill for the session. My older Lab Pounce had done something like this
and it was easy for her. By doing so, the not very visible small stakes placed at the
pile areas were fairly well identified when it was time to run Gigi. They were a bit wider
than usual, but that was done to simplify things a bit for Gigi. Gigi is well into transition
and I figured she was ready (she was).

The distance seemed to be easy because of having the line up on an elevated area
with a long, gradual slope. That structure was named "Momentum Hill" several year ago
(for obvious reasons).

The source of the drill was found after an Internet search - "Drills for Fieldwork Workshop".
It called for 60-70 yard piles which seemed it bit too short when running fast dogs. So about
60+ yards was added.

I have Voigt's training manual (The essentials), but could not find my copy. It is probably
somewhere with all the other things I have placed in what seemed to be a good spot. :love:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Jim. When you place bumper/dokens together in a pile will your dogs pick up the dokens 1st over a bumper? I've noticed on training that all of our dogs will pick up the dokens 1st and then the bumpers when the dokens run out.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the past, I have observed the same thing. Over the last two years, every once in
awhile five more were added. The round balls make them easier to pick up and tend
to give the dogs some distraction to deal with. I did not buy the regular throwing balls
cause there is a hobby shop that sells them for much less. The knot fits into the hole
which is enlarged half-way in.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, five or six years ago, I was training up at Bong Recreational Area in Wisconsin and stopped
to watch a large group training session. The Pro and his friends/clients had just finished a setup. Then
I glanced over at a huge pile of Dokkens that made my present stash look kind of puny. Middle of the
summer training does not treat real ducks very well and the expense adds up. This seemed to me to
be a logical trade off. I think I have enough.....for now. :love:

The earlier posts seemed to point out that most retrievers enjoy hammering a Dokken quite a bit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jim one dog i had sent to dog training in the sky would pick up dokens bumpers with wings but was always searching if the bumpers didn't have wings as he got older his attitude changed so take your time the dogs attitude will change as it did with the old boy your dogs attitude will change as mine did keep up your routine and stay posiotive

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
If following Voigt split casting drills your distances are much greater. Voigt uses about 60-75 yards. At your distances your might run out of dog before you get sufficient reps. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Gregg0211

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand your comment about distance vs. the basic drill. My journal notes were "The two piles were fairly wide
apart (the distance was rather long for a first time run...126 yards and 129 yards)"....and high 68°F, cloudy with
a wonderful breeze

Gigi is two years old and Pounce is seven. The session was productive.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday journal notes.......April 13 - Tuesday....breezy and temps in 50's....not a lot of time. Pounce and Gigi ran
three cold blinds (150+ yards with fresh mallards). They were Gigi's first, long cold blinds this spring and she
was ready. Her two or three quick whistle sits were very quick and took the correct casts. Pounce is a bit slower
than Gigi and handling is easier with her. They really liked the mallards. Three smaller faux shrubs were used in
the setup as blind markers. It was designed to make seeing easy.....once close. The focus was quick off the line,
take a good line and then carry it.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yesterday was a continuation of Gigi's transition. So as to make the day more exciting, the small cooler
again had three thawed mallards taken from the freezer. The setup was to run three cold blinds with an
"across a gravel road" concept. All three were "run to the tree line" blinds. Journal notes to follow:

April 14 - Wed. - breezy, 5:30 pm 39°F - three mallard blinds with an "across the road" concept
(131 yards, 134 yards and 150 yards). This was Gigi's first time on the across the road concept.
She went first - two whistled the 1st, lined the 2nd and one whistled the 3rd. Pounce took four
on the 1st, two on the 2nd and three on the 3rd. Their initial lines were very good. Pounce has
five more years of experience. Gigi was extremely sharp and her work today bodes well for the
future.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Jim, the invite stands to train with us at Madison. One of our group members is your age. With all the drills you do it would be great to see how the dogs do in a FT training environment. We train at least 4-5 days per week. You are welcome anytime to join us.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks, Jerry that is something I have mulled over for several months. I just recently decided to stick with the
AKC Hunt Test routines. The testing weekends for Pounce and Gigi are roughed out and will begin in the middle
of May. One factor tipped the scales. At about 200 yards, Pounce my yellow Lab becomes almost invisible. Gigi
is black and is easier to find "out there"......most of the time.

However, this evening about 6 pm, the last setup was three blinds. The longest was 200 yards. Gigi was lining
it....went off line a bit toward the end and I began to wonder where she was.The mowed brown, dead grass was
only calf high.

For more perspective, if I close my left eye (the good one), I cannot read a single word (or letter) that I just typed
into this post. My desktop screen is 22".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts