RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have been in the dog games for a while, where do you see the sport in 30 years? I would think there is enough interest to keep it going by the time I retire.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Someone who is in the Field Trial Hall of Fame told me a few years back said, "this a dying sport". I don't think it will die completely but will very different as we know it today. There are factors that will come to play in the sport. Those factors are mainly new blood to the sport, and the decline of training and trialing grounds. Those factors will vary from region to region but overall I believe there will be less people particapating, less available grounds for new comers to train, less available grounds for trialing and more trials on fewer properties. Those properties will increasingly be held by professionials. There will be fewer clubs, fewer events and smaller numbers at those events. The future of the sport is not demise but atrophy.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Someone who is in the Field Trial Hall of Fame told me a few years back said, "this a dying sport". I don't think it will die completely but will very different as we know it today. There are factors that will come to play in the sport. Those factors are mainly new blood to the sport, and the decline of training and trialing grounds. Those factors will vary from region to region but overall I believe there will be less people participating, less available grounds for new comers to train, less available grounds for trialing and more trials on fewer properties. Those properties will increasingly be held by professionials. There will be fewer clubs, fewer events and smaller numbers at those events. The future of the sport is not demise but atrophy.

we must have talked to the same person ;-)

The only other thing I fear is that the tree hugger/PETA crowd somehow gets stupid legislation passed, to where it becomes like Canada where live birds are not used...

The other thing that "may" happen is that it comes full circle to where the sport was in its early years where only the uber wealthy can afford to play the game, since they will control the venues, the pros, and the game itself....kind of like the sport of horse racing..Hope I am wrong

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I know that when most here refer to "the game" they mean field trials. While I can't speak to that since I'm not a field trialer, it seems to me that the hunt test game is growing, especially the HRC game. As long as the economy improves, I see the hunt test community continuing to grow for the next 5 to 10 years. 30 years? I think there are too many variables involved to make that prediction. I can't even tell you what this country is going to look like 30 years from now. Depending on which direction it goes, we may not even recognize it 30 years from now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
if you take the increase in difficulty of the setups over the last 30 years, and extrapolate that to the next 30 years, the setups in 2042 are going to be very very difficult, so you might as well start bitching about them now!!

Out of sight on a blind for a 10 to 15 count gets us going now, you are going to have to be OOS for 3 minutes in 2042 before anyone will even raise an eyebrow!! HA

If you have X amount of bitching at an average trial today and extrapolate that to 2042, the attire at FT will be bullet proof vests by 2042. How many people got killed this weekend will be the Monday morning question on RTF

Mark

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
What will field trials be like in 30 years? Let's look at the here and now ...

The poor economy and high gas prices have already had an effect on field trials in No. California. Also, there have been few newcomers to replace trialers who no longer trial. While I can't speak for all clubs nor all regions, I can say that AKC field trial entries have gone down here while the expenses to the clubs to hold them have gone up. Two clubs have had major losses on their 2012 trials. One club who has 2 trials a year, had a loss on last year's fall trial as well.

Few clubs can continue to operate in the red for long. There are only a few trial expense categories which can be trimmed; they have trimmed them to bare bones. One club in Oregon had 2 trials a year. Now they have one trial. A Nevada club had 2 trials a year; they might not have any next year.

Helen

·
Registered
687 Posts
we must have talked to the same person ;-)

The only other thing I fear is that the tree hugger/PETA crowd somehow gets stupid legislation passed, to where it becomes like Canada where live birds are not used...
I don't see either country being allowed to use even dead birds in 20 years let alone 30....

20 years from now, I hope someone who disagrees with me really can say "told ya so!"

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Most clubs have to have a HT or 2 to cover the losses from their FTs. In 30 years I see the pro's putting on weekend FTs. They take turns holding FTs on their grounds and potentially judging each other. Looking at the generations to come I just cant see the average person busting his or her ass to put on a FT that they can only dream about competing in.

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
In 30 years, Apple will have created the iRetriever. No EIC, CNM, all with Excellent hips/normal elbows. No feed or poop, no illnesses, no annual shots, obey every command perfectly, pin point marker due to built in GPS. Just plug them in and sync with your iTunes. Each retriever will have 5000mg and able to store unlimited data, music, movies plus power unlimited tail wagging;-)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just like all sports/leisure pursuits, I have a feeling one of the biggest influences will be economic in nature. Cost of travel especailly.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Most clubs have to have a HT or 2 to cover the losses from their FTs.
You are correct for my neck of the woods. The HT entries are greater and profits can be made when there are double Junior and Senior stakes which pump up the entries. The Master National will be on the west coast in 2014 which I hope will mean higher entries in Master stakes for No. Calif. clubs. The clubs have to hang in there through this year, 2013, and into 2014. Their bank accounts are going to drain, but hopefully the economy will be turned around somewhat by 2014.

The only solution I can see for the future of field trials is for hunt test folks to enter their dogs in Qualifying stakes to try to get their dogs QAA. Hopefully after running in Q's, they will try age stakes.

Helen

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
There are declining number of amateur entries in the open/limited stakes as the pros are dumping a huge number of dogs into regional competition. 8 to 18 entries from several pros become quite daunting for an Amateur on Tuesday night entry time.

The tendency to run long 300+ yard marks are chewing up time and real estate. Our club has 120 acres. It is really tough to hold 4 stakes a weekend. Throw in the monster whistles and it becomes a real nightmare on trial days. Civilization is creeping up to our property lines and some in the community are complaining about shotgun noise. Despite the recession property in the area is prohibitvely high so there is not much chance for expansion. The taxes on the property is a huge drain on the budget.

We are getting some newer young members into the club but most of our active members are in the 50 - 80+ age bracket. It is hard to get them interested in outreach to recruit younger people to the sport. Right now the trends don't look like they are heading in the right direction.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
The reality is, is that we live in a culture of instant gratification. Very few have the ways, patience or means to foot a dog for 7+ years until it gets it's title. That group is dwindling at a amazing rate.

I think "that group" will always be there god willing,,, but it will be small.

Angie

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The number of competing all-age dogs will remain about the same but the number of handlers will continue to decrease. PRTA will assume a larger role as their members and their clients will be providing a higher percentage of the grounds with the local "mega-pro" making available their bird boys and guns. The amount of land needed for a weekend trial will decrease because the number of stakes will decrease(2 major and maybe 1 minor, not much different than the origins of FT)
The number of Derby stakes will decrease. The Qual. will become more of a Hunt Test Stake. D/Q will still occur during a circuits off season for the smaller pro's and true local amateurs.

JMO

Tim

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I know one thing in 30 yr I am going to be old!!!!!old!!!!!:(I will be watching from my wheelchair!!!(armchair)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts