RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me about the Wildrose training DVD/ program? Both the waterfowl DVD and upland DVD? What are your guys thought on the program?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I can tell you I wouldn't use it if you gave it to me, but thats just me. You have potentially started an entertaining thread.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm going to pop some pop corn! :p

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Can anyone tell me about the Wildrose training DVD/ program? Both the waterfowl DVD and upland DVD? What are your guys thought on the program?
I've not seen the upland DVD but have the waterfowl one. I'd not think it, or any single DVD, a stand-alone "program," but there are enough good young dog ideas on it that I'd recommend it to anyone not stuck in a "one true path" mentality.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Its actually really good. It starts with OB and leads into conditioned retrieve which is a comprehensive hold program similar to many FF programs (without the pinch).

It covers basic handling, steadiness, ob, hold on land and water, and basic blinds. If you follow the program you will have a serviceable retriever. It is not for HTs or FTs.

Ppl on here don't like it BC its different from the way they train.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have the "Wildrose Way" Retriever Training.

The treatment of basic obedience isn't very good IMO (in common with other much more expensive DVDs) but it's a good presentation of how to make up a nice steady hunting dog.

It doesn't cover advanced handling, but there isn't any reason not to take things further yourself once you've got the intermediate stuff down.

I'd recommend it for anyone largely training alone and who wishes to do so without an e-collar.

Eug

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. I like the idea of it being a one person program. I really am not interested in the ht or ft scene either. I think it's between this program and fowl dawgs

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If you want a sure thing gun dog, train your dog to be a hunt test dog. The routes are the same to get to the end result regardless and typically people that think they can cut corners because it's just going to be a gun dog usually end up spending more time going back and fixing problems because they cut corners or didn't use the same process or flow in their training.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys. I like the idea of it being a one person program. I really am not interested in the ht or ft scene either. I think it's between this program and fowl dawgs
That is what many of us have said in the beginning ............dozens of HT's, FT's and many years later, we are still at it!

·
Registered
875 Posts
The biggest value in learning a program, is what it teaches the owner, more so than the dog.
Good trainers learn good methods that will allow them to reach goals whatever they may be, and continue tio improve using the same philosophy they started with. Poor methods, or methods that limit the potential of a great dog, often stay with handlers if it is the way they started. Just like dogs, people have a harder time unlearning their first habits.
This is why I cringe when people say.."I'm not looking for a high level dog"

·
Registered
292 Posts
The biggest value in learning a program, is what it teaches the owner, more so than the dog.
Good trainers learn good methods that will allow them to reach goals whatever they may be, and continue tio improve using the same philosphy they started with.
This is why I cringe when people say.."I'm not looking for a high level dog"
I think you read into that too much. I do want a high level dog. I don't want to waste time on angled entries, longer than necessary blinds, etc....there are things done in FTs that aren't necessary for a first class hunting dog.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think you read into that too much. I do want a high level dog. I don't want to waste time on angled entries, longer than necessary blinds, etc....there are things done in FTs that aren't necessary for a first class hunting dog.
I've had this argument before, so let's just agree to disagree.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
So a downed bird is across the pond and your dog was sent for a different mark so if you don't teach casting off points or islands with poison birds, how are you going to pick up that bird if say it was a swimmer cripple and getting away? Also you don't have to train for longer than necessary blinds or marks. It's just limiting your abilities in the field on a long winged bird. With distance erodes control and more so if it's never been trained on.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts