RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on a breeding with Cosmo sires dad and Baracudda Blue on Dams side ?

·
Registered
658 Posts
You don't see a lot of choc lines crossed on Cosmo, running with the Devil was choc factored, other than that not a lot comes to mind. We have a line bred 62.5% Cosmo female with zero Lean Mac here that I like a lot, if she pans out one day she will likely go to Ford.

·
Registered
658 Posts
They'd be a handful, but they would mark well and run straight I'm thinking. I also have a Chopper female out of a Lean Mac X FC AFC Sweet Potato Pie bitch that we will breed to Ford when she comes in hopefully next month. There would be a possibility of a dash of brown in that but I wouldn't bank on it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I like the thought in 'theory". It would depend how close you could get to each of those dogs. Also which offspring?? They both had many, some better than others.

Do you have any further Info. or just a little bait & tease:) What are your thoughts??

Randy

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Look up AFC Huntersbest Saphire Jubilee Cuda and Cosmo are both in their, but then again so are alot of other dogs.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You won't get any brown from ford only brown will be from your girl.
Yea I know, there would just be the possibility that some brown might be passed on into pups that could show up down the road. I have a brown dog or two but prefer black and hate the notion of color specific breeding.
No bait and tease here, Sam and I agreed on the breeding a while back and she should come in hopefully sometime in June. Being a frozen breeding no chickens will be counted early. That's her in the avatar in second gear in Louisiana.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
What are your thoughts on a breeding with Cosmo sires dad and Baracudda Blue on Dams side ?
Cosmo's (Dare to Dream) sire's dad is Itch. What are you really trying to say?

·
Registered
834 Posts

Maybe the OP meant : What are your thoughts on a breeding with Cosmo being the sires dad and a Cuda bitch.

That's how I read it. You're right it is hard to determine just what the OP is asking.

To the OP: I think DRAKEHAVEN could provide you with some insight. They owned the sire of that "Sapphire Jubilee"

http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=41160

·
Registered
658 Posts
Maybe OP means crossing Cosmo lines, ie Cosmo, Cosmo sons and or Cosmo grandsons on the Barracuda Blue lines. With just a quick look at Dare To Dream offspring on gooddoginfo there doesn't appear to be anything in the past to talk about. With the exception of Running With The Devil or one of his male littermates ( you'd be at least a generation away from having a significant amount of Cosmo show up in a brown dog. The Cosmo female that I have has no possiblilty of producing anything but black or possibly yellow, Cosmo and Cuda crossing to make a brown dog are really far apart and that being said you'd have to decide if it first would be a good thing and worth the time and money to do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wast not referring to colors produced. Just what the pups may be like ,temperament , marking ect

·
Registered
494 Posts
Unless you are experienced you may find males or females sired by Cosmo crossed to proven field trial performers will be to much for you to handle. They will have prey drive to the extreme, marking ability at the highest level with no fear harsh cover, excellent water attitude with big water entry and hig pain threshold. On the down side they can be noisey and Cosmo is a carrier of EIC. As field trial dog Cosmo looks are okay but he certainly does not have a classic show head and could not be described as having what the show people call a "sweet" head.
Not the best dog in a duck hunting blind as the prey drive kicks in. On the other hand if you train smart, hard and often you will have a dog that will kick ass.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I wast not referring to colors produced. Just what the pups may be like ,temperament , marking ect
You would probably have your hands full. You had better be an experienced handler and trainer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cosmo is my dogs dad and i bred him to a bitch that has Cuda in her pedigree. Sorry for the confusion. The only time my boy is vocal is when i go to feed him. Quiet as a mouse in the blind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts