RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pointers on replacing an igniter on the thunder launchers? I'm about to start dismantling mine to replace the igniter and I'll take any experienced comments. I have 2 others to reference on how to put back together and I plan to take pictures and notes of the dismantling as I go along.

If I get it dismantled and cant get it back together I can send it back to Thunder, but I'd prefer to just knock it out on my own ASAP.

Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
Do you already have a replacment igniter ? I just recieved my thunder launcher back from thunder launcher ( replaced igniter) .

I didn't have the time or skill set to tackle the job on my own , sent the launcher in , recieved back looking and working better than new , I believe the cost was 135.00 including shipping.

Igniters were on back order , so before you tackel the job be sure you have all the parts.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have replaced mine twice. Igniters cost $50 each. Both worked 10 to 20 times and quit. They are a real PIA to replace. Thunder launcher people claimed that not all igniters are created equal:unsure::(. They claim they test a whole lot of them to find a good one and would sell me one for$100:oops::cautious: When I pulled them out they still had spark but would not ignite the gas in the machine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you already have a replacment igniter ? I just recieved my thunder launcher back from thunder launcher ( replaced igniter) .

I didn't have the time or skill set to tackle the job on my own , sent the launcher in , recieved back looking and working better than new , I believe the cost was 135.00 including shipping.

Igniters were on back order , so before you tackel the job be sure you have all the parts.
Yes, I have the replacement, it is the TS8000, purchased from home depot yesterday. Thanks for the info and pricing, that helps with some decisions.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have replaced mine twice. Igniters cost $50 each. Both worked 10 to 20 times and quit. They are a real PIA to replace. Thunder launcher people claimed that not all igniters are created equal:unsure::(. They claim they test a whole lot of them to find a good one and would sell me one for$100:oops::cautious: When I pulled them out they still had spark but would not ignite the gas in the machine.
Yes I spoke with thunder yesterday and they mentioned the igniter manufacturer's inconsistency issues and their testing method, I was going to just test it out myself 100 or so times before install and go from there. I have 2 launchers working at the moment, so I'll take my time fiddling with this 3rd one. We are hitting 100° this week consistently, so this will be a good project while we have this heat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why do you think your igniter is bad? I just went through this whole process with my thunder launcher. Are you sure the timing is correct?? Make sure that little wire tab is operating properly before you replace your igniter. If you pull the igniter out make sure your spacing is correct. If you get the bolts too tight your button will not be able to come out properly.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you think your igniter is bad? I just went through this whole process with my thunder launcher. Are you sure the timing is correct?? Make sure that little wire tab is operating properly before you replace your igniter. If you pull the igniter out make sure your spacing is correct. If you get the bolts too tight your button will not be able to come out properly.
The entire rotation and process operates properly except when the button is fully depressed there is no boom. The gas turns on, the cam turns, but when it spins to ignite it the gas just turns back off. I tested it with a screwdriver as well, nothing. I did some troubleshooting with Thunder and that was her recommendation.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The entire rotation and process operates properly except when the button is fully depressed there is no boom. The gas turns on, the cam turns, but when it spins to ignite it the gas just turns back off. I tested it with a screwdriver as well, nothing. I did some troubleshooting with Thunder and that was her recommendation.

I did the same but when I pulkled the igniter out it worked fine

·
Registered
48 Posts
There are benefits to the thunder launcher... but having seen first hand (not my own units) what a pitb they can be to work on, I am thankful for my 4 derby doubles.
I had a 2 shooter thunder. Bought 2 3 shooter versa launchers and am much happier . Just traded my 2 shooter Thunder for a two Shooter versa launcher. I'm not very mechanically inclined and can work on the Versa Launcher only a few interchangeable parts to go wrong. My Thunder was a finicky mess

1 - 12 of 12 Posts