RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have found the ticks out in numbers with the warm weather we are having I have a5 month BLM Used Bio spot on other dogs in past but on him I'm still finding ticks 2 yesterday What is the best??? Thanx DWG

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I use Frontline Plus and have had good results.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
I switched from Frontline Plus to Walmarts knock off, Pet Armour. It is advertised as the same as Frontline. It has worked well.

It is my understanding that even with the tick preventive ticks will still occassionally attach themselves but that the meds will kill the ticks. That is what I was told by a tick med rep (not Frontline but another company whose name I can't remember).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Also switched from Frontline to Pet Armour although I am sceptical as to eithers effectiveness and only use when ticks are active, like now. My thought is that treating them at peak times might catch some of those that I don't find when I check the dogs. Mild winter seems to be leading to an abundance of em'.

I had once heard that a tick needs to be attached for 24 hours before disease can be transmitted. This doesn't make sense to me assuming that the disease would be entered into the host's bloodstream as soon as they bit.

3 of my 4 dogs are lyme positive but asymptomatic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've never been a fan of bio spot. Stick to frontline(or wal-mart copy), advantix, advantage.

I went out for a walk yesterday and got 6 ticks on me. Its going to be a fun year in the woods.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Also switched from Frontline to Pet Armour although I am sceptical as to eithers effectiveness and only use when ticks are active, like now. My thought is that treating them at peak times might catch some of those that I don't find when I check the dogs. Mild winter seems to be leading to an abundance of em'.

I had once heard that a tick needs to be attached for 24 hours before disease can be transmitted. This doesn't make sense to me assuming that the disease would be entered into the host's bloodstream as soon as they bit.

3 of my 4 dogs are lyme positive but asymptomatic.
Just at the Vet's on Thursday here in Falmouth, Maine. She said that they are now recommending ..PARASTAR* plus.... from Norvartis ..starts killing ticks "in as little as one hour" ..

parastarpluspet.com

She says this is due to some tick diseases transmitting much faster than lyme..which Bob and I already know (from experience) and, actually, another vet in the practice told me last year.

I had just purchased two Scalibor bands (collars) a few weeks ago to replace the two bought later summer 2011 due to too many ticks engorging on my dogs and or finding them engorged, dropped off on the floor or their beds etc..disgusting and scary. The new recommendation was to apply Frontline every 3 weeks and use a tick collar in addition to keep them from jumping on(ie the collar). In talking with the vet at that time, she said why did I not try the Scalibor..just in new to their office.

A FT friend told me after that..her friend abroad has been telling her for years to use it. She has not though, uses a topical.

Never thought I would use a tick/flea collar but there we were.

No longer found live ticks on my dogs and believe me, we look. The very, very few we did find were flat and dead on the floor or dog bed.

It has come down to not wanting ticks biting my dogs at all due to positive multiple TBD testing with Frontline on and Lyme vaccine. (did give up on the vaccine) Tried the natural stuff over the years as well. They are so bad now it was a losing battle.

So, as long as the collar does not bother them, we are using it.

Have to add..that it used to be, use a natural product...check the dogs every night on the grooming table with a blow dryer on cool so you could see down to the skin..and if ticks found remove them. Then, in the fall do a round of Doxy just in case. Those days are gone by...

Miserable bugs..for the dogs and humans alike.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just at the Vet's on Thursday here in Falmouth, Maine. She said that they are now recommending ..PARASTAR* plus.... from Norvartis ..starts killing ticks "in as little as one hour" ..

parastarpluspet.com

She says this is due to some tick diseases transmitting much faster than lyme..which Bob and I already know (from experience) and, actually, another vet in the practice told me last year.

I had just purchased two Scalibor bands (collars) a few weeks ago to replace the two bought later summer 2011 due to too many ticks engorging on my dogs and or finding them engorged, dropped off on the floor or their beds etc..disgusting and scarey. Never thought I would use a tick/flea collar but there we were.

No longer found live ticks on my dogs and believe me, we look. It has come down to not wanting ticks biting my dogs at all due to positive multiple TBD testing with Frontline on and Lyme vaccine. So, as long as the collar does not bother them, we are using it.

Miserable bugs..for the dogs and humans alike.
Hi Judy... I'm also aware of the new product out by Novartis... actually it is Seargant's that's inolved with manufacturing this product. I spoke to my Vet and Bayer Rep and both are extremely bothered by this new product and it's powerful chemicals. Yes, it is said to kill ticks that fast... but.

I'm not aware of this collar you mention.
~~~~~~~

I know people are not going to want to hear this but... you might as well throw your Frontline and Frontline knock offs, etc. out the window, because they do not kill ticks for 3 or more days, then the ticks already have bitten and transmitted tick borne diseases. (Yes, this topic is much like dog food... use what you feel works for your dog and at what cost you can afford).

With the new K9 Advantix II, you at least have a much better chance at killing ticks, within 24-48 hours. K9 Advantix II only for my dogs. I would Only possibly even consider using this new product if I am aware of a Rocky Mountain Fever outbreak like last year on Long Island.

I also recently come to find out that the SNAP tests give false positives and the only tests for my dogs from now on is... Full tick borne panel bloodwork, worth the extra cost for accurate results.

Barb

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have had good luck with the preventic collars, and this year with the ticks already being out in force I am going to pick up some advantix 2 or the pet armour (frontline plus knock off). I was out in back for about 10 mins. and picked up 6 of the little nasties on me.. Hate the damn things

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've been using k-9 advantix II, and haven't had any fleas or ticks so far.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Hi Barb... I hate the tick/flea preventatives..that we seem to have to use these days :(

We have RMSF here...for about 4 years now that I know of..in abundance. So, do the full tick panel as well.

Guinea Hens eat the darn things..if you can stand the racket!..and they do like to wonder about..as to the neighbors LOL

On a lighter note, Best of Luck to "Ten" this season!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just got a flyer about a product called Certifect from my vet. Looks like Frontline Plus with Amitraz. Suppose to kill ticks starting within 6 hours, with fleas at 4 hours. Topical and applied 1X month. I've yet to talk to him about it but thinking I will.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx for all the input. I just got home from Vet and asked about it here in upstate NY They recommend Frontline plus as he said it stays on better in water than Advantix11 and also a collar Preventic by Virbac so as said its a grab bag yes I went with thesefor a month to see how they work then can order to save a little if we like them DWG

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
I do. I never thought to ask my vet just did it.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Thanx for all the input. I just got home from Vet and asked about it here in upstate NY They recommend Frontline plus as he said it stays on better in water than Advantix11 and also a collar Preventic by Virbac so as said its a grab bag yes I went with thesefor a month to see how they work then can order to save a little if we like them DWG
That is what my vet here recommended..Frontline Plus along with Preventic/Virbac collar until late last season. Also, they had suggested the Frontline Plus be put on every 3 weeks...not once a month.

Our ticks are awful here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.