RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few days I have pulling plenty of ticks off the dogs. Seems like the ticks faired well over the winter. I may try one of those tick drops this year, any suggestions on which ones work best and longest. Jim

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
:lol: Chuckling :lol:

Whatever you do, don?t ask Kristie about Frontline!!

Jim

I have been using Frontline for the last couple years. I just ordered and received this years supply off the Web. I paid around $57.00 for 6 months, delivered. It is applied monthly. It is the only product I have used. I generally find a few dead ones on him and am still pretty diligent about checking him for them. I am not under any illusion that the application of any of these products are complete problem solving product and the dog is safe because I use it.

I have not used any competing products like bio-spot. Reggie uses it and likes it well enough.

Joe Miano

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pricey, @$57 per month. I'd be in the poor house before you know it. I switched from , heartguard to ivomec years ago, went from $450 a year including blood tests to $20 a year and test every other year. I keep them on ivomec year round now. I may just stick to checking them good every night. And they think they are being petted real good,so they love it. I always was skeptical about the stuff washing away with the dogs in the water all the time. Jim

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
$57.00 for 6 months!!

Joe

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
dogs

Frontline at half the cost! Down south, ticks and fleas can be real bad and I find that Frontline makes the best product. What I do, is buy the doses for a 125 pound dog and split it on two dogs. The 125 pound dose is about the same price as the smaller doses, maybe a little more! For one dog, use half a dose and freeze the other half for next month. Don't get your dog wet for 2 days after applying. Give it a chance to work its way into the dog's fatty tissue.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oops, sorry Joe. even @57 for 6 months times 5 dogs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Frontline is great. My vet recommends not swimming/bathing the dog for 2 days before it's applied, and 3 days after. It isn't absorbed into the body--it stays in the skin. I, too, have found several dead ticks on the floor. I have found a few crawling on my YLM, but never any attached (he seems to be a tick magnet!). I'm a tick magnet too....wonder if WE can use it???? :lol:

I do both heartworm and Frontline from March 1-December each year. Most "pets" can start both April 1st. I found a flea AND a tick on YLM mid-March this year after being in the field training. Needless to say, I made an immediate trip to the vet!

--Nicki (who's now feeling like something's crawling on me...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts