RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what you are seeing in other parts of the US but here in Georgia I believe this is the wort Tick season I've ever seen.

On EVERY trip to train, Tukey Hunt,Scout or even walk down to the pond we are finding Tick on us,the kids an the Dogs! I've never seen it so bad. Yesterday we walked to the pond for 30 minutes in mowed grass and upon our return there were 22 Ticks on th 4 of us....

What are you seeing in your area!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I haven't experienced that at all. Took my dog on a 5 mile walk at a state park the other day and we didn't get one tick. I shouldn't have as I was on a wide pea gravel path, but my dog was constantly roaming in the woods. I thought he might get some, but got lucky I guess. Or the Frontline Plus is working.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Pulled close to 40 ticks off me and my dog after a 15 minute training session.

It is going to be bad this year.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
No ticks at all so far on either dogs or humans.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Plenty of ticks in Sacramento this year. More than normal. I've had to find some better spots to train. Had one of my dogs with about 20 match head sized ones on her must have run thru a nest of new hatched ones.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What processes do you guys use to remove them from the dog?

·
Registered
340 Posts
What processes do you guys use to remove them from the dog?
My process begins with my wife shouting, "Brian, there is a #@)#ing tick on the dog!"

It ends with me pulling the thing off and saying that got 'em all. ( Yeah, I heard about heating the thing up and making it back out so you get the head. I never had a problem just pulling it out and getting the whole thing. )

The process repeats.

I have to do spiders too. I hate spiders.

There are lots of ticks in Delaware this year!

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
I haven't found any ticks on the dogs so far this year. We have been training in tall grass. I use Walmart Pet Armour. I haven't found any on me either and I use nothing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Stopped at a rest stop along I-80 in Ill a couple of weeks ago and after a short walk along a trail with grass along the sides the dog and I found about a dozen ticks on us. Thankfully all but 2 were on her.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here in Oregon on the coast, where for the last couple of years I usually pull 3 or 4 ticks off my dogs each time I train, this year, I have only pulled 1 tick off of us. Last year was horrible. Didn't matter where I was. I pulled over 20 off of us on several occasions....geeze I'm starting to itch just thinking about it

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Where I live in Western Pa., there are no ticks. Until this year...

We don't normally have deer flies either. I killed 2 on Saturday.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hordes of Brown dog ticks, and deer ticks have found us too.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
We very rarely even see a tick here.....pulling several off daily.NE OH...... Jim

·
Registered
439 Posts
Here's an old trick to remove ticks without risking leaving the head or causing an infection.
take a cotton ball and apply a liberal amount of liquid soap on it. Place over the tick and rub gently back and forth for about 15 to 20 seconds. This causes the tick to withdraw from it's host and will wind up in the cotton ball. I tried it and it works. Worked especially well on hard to get places like in your dogs hair.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
pulled 6 off my dog's ear this afternoon. no idea where he picked them up. we haven't been in the woods since last weekend. some were pretty big.

·
Registered
129 Posts
They are REALLY bad here in Michigan this year. Between the dogs and humans in our family, we have removed more than 20. Average entire season is 2-3.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.