RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use to keep ticks off young pups? 8-12 weeks. I have a 10 week pup that just seems to attract them. Thanks for the help'

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
When I took Rowdy in for his puppy shots (5/22) the vet put a topical combo heart worm and tick/flea med on him. Dang, I can't remember the brand but there are very few combo (heartworm and tick) topical meds. Advantage? He didn't charge me for it so it must have been a sample. Ask your vet for the same.

Rowdy doesn't seem to have any ticks and he is in the field all the time with me.

I now think it was Revolution Purple. My vet said that this was not his favorite but for this young a puppy it was the best. Purple is 5-10 lbs. You may need the next level up. When Rowdy goes back again on 6/19 he will need the next level up.

Rowdy is growing but very slowly. This is not all bad. I think Hank grew too quick and caused the knee issues even tho he was on Large Breed puppy food.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wayne, I will ask about that. We are extremely dry and looks like a bad year for ticks. I knew that you needed to be careful with small pups and tick medicine because of weight. "Kyra" is about 12 pounds now and really is stretching out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We have an eight week old who weighed in at 11.5 lbs. last week. We started him on Frontline Plus. Like Wayne's vet, our's gave us a sample of it - and heartworm monthly preventative. I plan on moving him to K9 Advantix II next month but wanted him to get a little bigger before doing so. It gives a little more of the protection, imho. Bayer also makes an "Advantage" that's supposed to be safer for youngsters.

We're heading for a weekend where ticks are on an upswing this year. We'll probably boost with the addition of an old fashioned puppy tick collar. While the preventative will kill ticks that bite, it doesn't do enough to repel. We did visit this earlier this season with the vet about our older dogs. Of course, I'll be double checking the theory with the vet on the youngster this morning when we stop in for our latest vaccines.

G

·
I used advantik II last year I didnt see any ticks. I put it on my dog a few weeks ago and have found 2 ticks up under his neck.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Advantik II is GREAT. It covers a lot of bad things. Try it, your dog will like it - don't use it on your cat, they have one for them. LOL

·
Registered
105 Posts
Okay, we're back from the vet! Up to 14lbs now ... 9 weeks today. Vet suggested I bump for tick repellency with a spritz of tick spray instead of using a tick collar. Said he was still a bit young for the collar boost.

Next month, it's on to K9 Advantix II ... then we won't have to worry about it as much as it repels and kills. Hopefully next year we'll all have the weather we need to keep critters more under control.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm officially less than thrilled with the Bayer Advantage Multi. I applied it about four or five days before heading to my in-laws' place in New Jersey over Thanksgiving. With very limited exposure to cover, my dog's head got covered with deer ticks. At no point did my dog get wet for 48 hours before or after application or even since application. My dog has to go to the vet first thing in the morning as it appears he has tick bite paralysis due to all the LIVE ticks we pulled off of him. So, if the Bayer Advantage Multi doesn't repel ticks and obviously doesn't kill them, exactly what is the point? Given that I live in a high heart worm infection area, it makes me nervous about relying on it for heart worms.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Why did you use the Bayer? We're you not happy with one of the other products or was your dog not able to use them. Those products seem to work so well for me. I've never found a tick when my dogs were on Advantage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm officially less than thrilled with the Bayer Advantage Multi. I applied it about four or five days before heading to my in-laws' place in New Jersey over Thanksgiving. With very limited exposure to cover, my dog's head got covered with deer ticks. At no point did my dog get wet for 48 hours before or after application or even since application. My dog has to go to the vet first thing in the morning as it appears he has tick bite paralysis due to all the LIVE ticks we pulled off of him. So, if the Bayer Advantage Multi doesn't repel ticks and obviously doesn't kill them, exactly what is the point? Given that I live in a high heart worm infection area, it makes me nervous about relying on it for heart worms.
I don't believe Advantage Multi is considered a tick preventer. It is a worm preventer. In particular, it is commonly used to prevent heartworm, but also works on hookworms, roundworms and whipworms...as well as fleas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts