RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the dog is a high roller, and clearly gets jazzed as all get-out at HT's, are you asking for trouble taking her to every HT within driving distance? I've heard they will get more and more ill-behaved and develop issues like stickiness, creeping and so forth.

Just wondering

·
Registered
453 Posts
I ran 4 tests in 3 weeks last spring and said I wouldn't do it again. By the fourth test he got pretty mouthy and started to whine a bit too. He figured out what was going on and what he could get away with.

It's been 9 months and he's settled in and came back stronger than ever after the winter off.

I plan on running 1 maybe 2 tests this year, I figure there's no rush he's only 2 years old and I hope to have many test seasons with him.

I guess it all depends on your goals and how the dog reacts at tests.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a Shaq pup that we only run every other weekend for that very reason. He still is extremely jazzed on first run each day and then seems to settle down a bit. Afraid he could get test wise and cause problems if we run him every weekend.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I look at it this way...Every time you train you put money in the bank. When you take your dog to a test or trial, you make a withdraw from your account. For some dogs, the amount you take out on the weekend may far surpass what you put in during the week so you have to be cautious not to "overdraw" your account.

Keep 'em in the black regards -

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent analogy.

I reeeaaallly want her to qualify for the National. She'll need 5 more qualifying scores. Late last season, she started to totally put it together. Got her first Master ribbon late last year, got her second at first test this year.

But clearly, I'd be cutting my nose off to spite my face if she ran too often trying to get to the magic number.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
A dog gets some good seasoning out of running trials and you get invaluable handling experience as well. If your dog gets really pumped up and you start having line manner issues and/or handling issues, it probably is not a good idea to run too many tests in a row, but if your dog gets more settled and seems to be getting good experience from the tests, then there isn't a problem. I have had both kinds of dogs. Really depends on how your dog responds.

Dawn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts