RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just want to put this out there cuz I need to vent...
last weekend the wife and I are putting up a new fence for our horses at our 8 acre hobby farm and we had both of our dogs out running around the farm (both had collars with tags and both had shock collars on) and they love to go in the grove and play and run down to the ditch to swim. They usually stay on the site but ocassionally go to my parents farm right across the gravel road and see what they are up to but come back shortly their after. Anyways while working in the fence I check on the dogs and cannot find them so I beep them and still nothing so I sent a nick to both if them and still nothing. So now im nervous and go driving around on the wheeler looking for them and calling the neighbors but no luck. 5 hours pass of searching for them im starting to get real nervous and the wife is scared now to so I drive into town (3 miles away) and go to the cop shop and and ask if they have seen them, and low and behold there they are tied up in the garage for the past 5 hours!!!! I asked how they got here and they told me that somebody seen them on some gravel road (MY DRIVEWAY!!) and picked them up because they thought they were strays, like I mentioned they had 2 collars on each, and drove them into town to give to the cops. I am beyond mad at this point so I ask the cop '"why did you not call me when they arrived here 5 hours ago so I could come pick them up" and his response was"they smelt like wet dogs and I didn't want to get that smell on me"..I am so irate I had to get my dogs and just leave before punching him im the face and going to jail...... so now I feel better that I vented and have calmed down but I cannot wait to read the paper next week after I write my letter describing how disappointed I am with our so called "law enforcement"

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Glad it helped to vent.... you gotta wonder where the common sense is these days.... that and initiative. Just sounds plain lazy on the policeman's part.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
so I sent a nick to both if them and still nothing.
Not to take away from your venting, I question your nicking a dog you can't see. What if they were coming to you? Your nick could turn them around. Don't nick a dog you can't see and with out a reason for doing so.

Sorry you had to go through the other stuff.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But I have both dogs trained to come back to a nick so even if I can't see them they know I want them to come back..thanks for your concern though!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I would write the letter. What I was surprised by is the person instead of taking the well fed dogs with collars on - why did they not check the near by homes??? Could they have seen you working if they looked??
My rule is never let the guys out of my sight. Yes my older dog has a collar on with the pager in case he wanders. He know when the pager goes off he is to come, if not, next comes the nick and... Good luck to you. Sorry you had to go through that worry.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I do not do competitive training or hunt tests I am not to nervous about it. It has worked for me so far. I do appreciate your concern though! I just do nicks to come and a short shock for corrections so they know the difference.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I understand your frustration with the law enforcement end of things, and would probably be just as upset if they were my dogs. I hate to be devil's advocate, but I have to in my mind ask why you would be so upset with someone who picked up your dogs (that you didn't know their location) and took them to safety. I know that I am over protective of my girls (partly habit of having females and knowing males can come sniffing at anytime), but if I have them out with me and I can't keep an eye on them to maintain visual contact they either go in the kennel or the house. The next guy that picks up your dogs may not be nice enough to drop them off with the cops. We all handle our dogs differently and I am only offering feedback on what I do, not saying that any other option is wrong.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I understand your frustration with the law enforcement end of things, and would probably be just as upset if they were my dogs. I hate to be devil's advocate, but I have to in my mind ask why you would be so upset with someone who picked up your dogs (that you didn't know their location) and took them to safety. I know that I am over protective of my girls (partly habit of having females and knowing males can come sniffing at anytime), but if I have them out with me and I can't keep an eye on them to maintain visual contact they either go in the kennel or the house. The next guy that picks up your dogs may not be nice enough to drop them off with the cops. We all handle our dogs differently and I am only offering feedback on what I do, not saying that any other option is wrong.
Uh... because someone went into his driveway to get the dogs? In a lot of rural areas you better have business with the home owner to be in someone's driveway.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I apologize for my confusion as I thought that the gravel road was an actual road as it is referenced as a gravel road separating his house from his folks house, I did not read the original post to mean road as driveway... My apologies, I would have thought that if they were picked up from private property (driveway) then the argument would be trespassing and theft...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly socks! And trust me these are not "city or town prissy can't get dirty or full of cockaburs gotta watch them 24/7" dogs. These are working breed, farm dogs who have 8 acres to roam. I don't and can't for that matter watch them every where they go. Or it would be a full time job. They are usually kenneled all day except when im out doing chores or just outside period. So when they are out they just run all over the farm. If were not training if coarse lol.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No need to apologize just a miss understanding Sadie!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually both dogs had their rabies tags and my name and phone number, no address due to it wont fit on there lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would have made a call. No police. I do it all the time when other people's dogs show up on my property. I have a kennel so I put them in a run and either make a call or go looking to see if someone is out looking for their dogs. I have a GSP along with my Labs that given a half a chance he'll get out of his run and bird hunting he goes. Never had police call but neighbors have called a time or two.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear ya there my neighbor about a mile and a half east of me has two GSPs and they always come over and try to play with my dogs if their not running in my grove for birds or playing with the horses lol so I just load them up in the truck dog box and bring them back home.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Be thankful they didn't just take your dogs. You would have never seen them again. Be thankful the cops didn't cart them straight down to animal control where you would have had to pay a hefty fine to get them back.
Keep the dogs under control and supervision and guess what stuff like this doesn't happen.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I take it you live in town where you HAVE to watch your dogs because the only time you can let them run is at a park. I let my dogs do what they so best, being dogs!! So if your having let's say a family barbecue at your place and your kids or family kids are playing with your dogs while your cooking and one just hapens to chase down a rabbit and takes off for a while that is your fault for not becoming an eagle eye and watching them 24/7 ? I highly disagree. You can only watch them to a limit and if you TRUST them you don't have to hover over everything they do. And I trust my dawgs! !

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And yes I am thankfull i got them back.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
So if your having let's say a family barbecue at your place and your kids or family kids are playing with your dogs while your cooking and one just hapens to chase down a rabbit and takes off for a while that is your fault for not becoming an eagle eye and watching them 24/7 ? I highly disagree. You can only watch them to a limit and if you TRUST them you don't have to hover over everything they do. And I trust my dawgs! !
You better believe it would be my fault. Dogs are dogs. You cannot TRUST them 100%. Show me a 100% reliable dog and I'll show you a foolhardy owner.
If you value your dogs and don't want stuff like this to happen then do not let them roam loose and unsupervised!
If someone had hit the dogs with their car while on the road would you blame the driver?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Furball..I do not let my dogs roam loose however; my GSP is Houdini in drag and if gets the slightest opening, he's gone. When my wife's little dogs come in heat he can climb a 6ft fence with ease. He doen't get to them but he will occassionaly get out. I know the importance of being a good "keeper of the dogs" and have never lost a dog while hunting or otherwise, nor hasne of my dogs ever gotten out and hit by a car. Dogs do get out. They dig..they climb...they can leap tall buildings in a single bound...you get my point. I certainly don't want anything to happen but it does. That's why, no matter what, my dogs will always have owners tags on their collars.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts