RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave my dog every chance to succeed but she hasn't advanced so she came home today. Maybe I pulled the trigger too soon (she's 3.5 years old) but she never did much in derby and only made it to the second series of a Q this weekend. I may be biased but I think she's better than that, we can't justify keeping her in a training program any longer. Are we done No ! We will keep training and hope that she reaches her potential, it's been a long journey but my wife and I have enjoyed every minute of it . We will see what happens during the fall circuit, but I can tell you she loves laying on my feet right now.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I know three of the recent Q's she ran were very tough, the Rose County double and Lone Star. I watched and worked a little at RC #2 (my 11 1/2 month old Lily was test dog for the land blind). The first series of both were very tough, that's to be expected with a big entry.
Talked to one of the Lone Star judges yesterday and he described the first series as very tough and the field of dogs as very good.
Best of luck to you next fall.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know three of the recent Q's she ran were very tough, the Rose County double and Lone Star. I watched and worked a little at RC #2 (my 11 1/2 month old Lily was test dog for the land blind). The first series of both were very tough, that's to be expected with a big entry.
Talked to one of the Lone Star judges yesterday and he described the first series as very tough and the field of dogs as very good.
Best of luck to you next fall.
Am I expecting too much from my dog then ?

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
I've had a few pros tell me that my dog can mark, but the Lone Star event is the only one she has made it to the second series.
This isn't an easy sport. Spring Q's are generally very hard as the Pro's are bringing this years crop
of new dogs forward. Run her yourself, Go through her training cycle & see if she has been exposed
to what she needs to succeed. You learn as much from training a dog that may not make it as you do
from one that is a natural.

The dog sport is littered with dogs that were late bloomers, but had the basics down pat.

BTW, being a pro requires nothing other than an announcement. Does the pro you are using have any
sort of a record that qualifies his opinion?

Reactions: Kyle Garris

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would not be too discouraged. There certainly are the super stars that get Qaa before 3 and sometimes before 2. But lots of dogs take longer than that. Look for and run some oh/Qs. Still tough tests, but you are not running against the pros with multiple dogs.Find a good group of amateurs to train with and have fun.
Good luck

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I ran the Q at Lone Star. The first series was very tough. It was something to make it to the second series. That doesn't mean your decision was right - or wrong. Just that I would give my dog some credit to getting to the second series

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Here is a link to a video of the first series of the Qualifying that Rob Matthews took. It was stout.

Reactions: Gary M and Tobias

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
We're not quitting Mr Bora just taking a different path.
All dogs do not thrive in the dog pack culture of a pro truck. More than one has gone home or to another home and performed better and sometimes well.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I saw this video on fb. Yup that's some tough marks. Be interesting to know many dogs went back to the flyer station?
Quite a few returned to the flyer. The terrain was high on the right, low on the left, and influenced the dogs left. The wind was blowing 15-20 mph from left to right. The hen flyer was thrown into the wind R/L. If the dogs got left of the middle retired bird, they got hung up in flyer drift and eventually ended up in the flyer.

Reactions: Gary M

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
only made it to the second series of a Q this weekend. I may be biased but I think she's better than that,
A story: My training partner & I used different pro's for our weekend workouts. His pro told him to wash his dog
so he had a young dog. The rule in our after work workouts was 1 dog; & then his young dog had a health issue
& passed away. He was a person of limited means so I told him to bring his washout to our workouts & we could
see if we could build a program to match his issues. Like your dog the dog could find birds, it was only when we
began to mix the other stuff in that the dog became quickly confused.

We established a series of pattern blinds as the workout area had about 6 different areas that could be used. My
training partner was able to work these on his own without getting into our training regimen. It probably took 6 months
before the dog became comfortable with what was being done blindwise. Then we began to work each area with
varied marks. When the dog could go through those blinds we then began to work marks with each of them. The
beginning was so basic that the marks were thrown out in both directions & were 90 degrees from each other, the
pattern blind was then done. Marks were dummies, the blind was always a bird. When the dog became comfortable
with that we started to tighten things up, making sure to intro only one new concept at a time.

A year later the dog began to do the Q's & when he Q'd out he quickly became competitive in the Am, & then he
moved into the Open, the pro who washed him was then quite willing to run him, which I used to rib my training
partner about.

In the end the dog qualified for 2 National Ams & 3 Canadian Nationals along with becoming an AFC along the
way. It ended up being the only dog he had memories of being successful.

Unfortunately he entrusted his retirement saving to a financial planer that was going to make him rich investing in
dot.coms & lost 80% of it in the 2002 crash.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok everyone I'm not quitting on her , just taking a breather.. we start anew , yesterday she had a live duck a day off today then blinds tomorrow followed by mRks the next day. I have not been unpleased with my trainer he's taken her a long ways , her performance is what gets me. Something in the first series always seems to get her be it a mark or a blind so it's time to concentrate on everything that I can! So is it heavy pressure coming her way ,nope just the way I know how (tennis shoe style) so she understands exactly what I want. We are going to run a Q next month and an owner handler Q just after. So I'm not setting my sights down low it all long range and hoping for success. Will she go to a new trainer , we don't think so but it my happen either way where she's at right now she will not regress but go forward! We wish all of you to succeed but beware I'm aiming for the Top.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Can someone tell me: if you think you could get your dog off that flyer and picked up one of the other birds first, would you have done that? Would there have been an advantage in this test to have a dog who could be convinced to come off the flyer for another bird?

Just asking. Have no clue.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts