RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
EE doesn't have rose colored glasses when it comes to dog performance, in the competitive world that's the final decision, what the record consistently shows is what the dog is(in competitive terms). Nothing wrong with pulling your dog if it's not meeting the expectations that you had especially if they're reasonable expectations that you often see other dogs and pros achieving. Bring your dog home and assess it's ability in your own eyes and then go from there, nothing wrong with that. Enjoy her being home!
My below statement has nothing to do with Jesus' dog......

EE shows results - but it doesn't show how the dog got those results (the training/trainer)- whether placement, jam, or dropped/failed to finish - or what the overall success rate/ percentage finishes is. (or pass/fail if a hunt test dog). Results can mean everything, or they can mean nothing. (and everywhere in between).

I'd say basing one's opinion of a dog solely on EE would be about as biased a viewpoint as basing one's opinions solely on a dog's pedigree. (although both of these combined are a surefire way to market a litter of pups, if the record and pedigree are good LOL)

I think a great deal of the success of a competition dog lies in being with the right trainer and having the best opportunities that meet that specific dog's individual characteristics. There have been 'washouts' that went to a dfiferent owner and/or trainer and became successful competition dogs.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
EE shows results - but it doesn't show how the dog got those results (the training/trainer)- whether placement, jam, or dropped/failed to finish - or what the overall success rate/ percentage finishes is. (or pass/fail if a hunt test dog)
???
EE does show placements, jams in trials and passes/failures in hunt tests and you can calculate the success rates from that.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
???
EE does show placements, jams in trials and passes/failures in hunt tests and you can calculate the success rates from that.
Yes - I was referring to failures... how many dog don't finish a trial because of handler error? overall lack of training or lack of the right grounds, or lack of 'whatever'....... Not because the dog didn't have the actual ability to be successful.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
how many dog don't finish a trial because of handler error?
It has happened on multiple occasions for one dog that I know of.

Right now I'm as nervous as a cat in a yard full of dogs!
Nervousness is a problem for many handlers. Your dog notices everything about you. If you are nervous it will make her nervous. Try to stay calm, have fun and enjoy the day. It is just a test and everyone there is in the same boat.
Dogs and/or handlers are running Q's because they aren't ready for prime time yet.
When you make a mistake, learn from it and don't make it again. Establish a routine before you run to calm both you and your dog. Maybe just walking at heel, forward, backward, sideways.....

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Here's what we're running today
Middle retired @ 370 yards
Left @ 320 yards , right flyer @ 172 yards
Honor
It's a wide open test so take my time and enjoy it .
Sounds like fun.

Something about Honoring;
My 13 month old Lily is very comfortable sitting to honor and has been for a very long time. That's great but I don't take it for granted. To challenge her a bit I will often make her cold honor, sometimes with a shot flier.
Be careful with this as it can cause some dogs to vocalize which is a bigger problem.
The farther from the line you are the less challenging it will be for a pup to honor.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well I failed the team , we had a pretty good 1st series and I was late on my whistle in the second , I thought she would drift with the wind but she dug in and fought it. For a first time handler in a Qual I learned some valuable lessons . I thanked Mrs Russell for allowing the event to take place on their beautiful property and the judge for a challenging test . Now we continue and get ready for the next time we test .

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
Well I failed the team , we had a pretty good 1st series and I was late on my whistle in the second , I thought she would drift with the wind but she dug in and fought it. For a first time handler in a Qual I learned some valuable lessons . I thanked Mrs Russell for allowing the event to take place on their beautiful property and the judge for a challenging test . Now we continue and get ready for the next time we test .
That is a Big Deal.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Jesus. You are making way too big a deal about this.

First, it was your first time handling in the Qual, Did you expect to finish or place in your first Qual? Look at the results: A pro won. Another pro took third. And I took 4th. All of us had significantly more experience than you.

Second, it was a very hard qual. I think the first series would have been a good Amateur test. It sounds like you didn't read the land blind well. Not surprising for your first Qual,

Third, I don't know your dog, so I can't comment on its quality, From reading this thread, I don't think you have enough date to make a judgment.

If you want to run FT, you need to learn to accept the little victories (like surviving the first series) and learn to recognize the importance of the process.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
There is a lot to be said about experience at the line in a trial situation. Experience is expensive, (even with success), so take as much as you absolutely can from the time you have up there.

Congratulations on stepping to the line. Smarty and I went down in flames on our first Q LOL. She didn't even make it past the flyer of the first series (although one of those 'instances' of bad luck played some part because a car horn blasted at the very moment the flyer was thrown and she looked almost behind her to see what was going on - turned back as the bird was in the last few feet of falling to the ground).

Enjoy the ride and again, congratulations!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Jesus. You are making way too big a deal about this.

First, it was your first time handling in the Qual, Did you expect to finish or place in your first Qual? Look at the results: A pro won. Another pro took third. And I took 4th. All of us had significantly more experience than you.

Second, it was a very hard qual. I think the first series would have been a good Amateur test. It sounds like you didn't read the land blind well. Not surprising for your first Qual,

Third, I don't know your dog, so I can't comment on its quality, From reading this thread, I don't think you have enough date to make a judgment.

If you want to run FT, you need to learn to accept the little victories (like surviving the first series) and learn to recognize the importance of the process.
Just to clarify, I think he is now talking about a Qual he ran yesterday. I believe his pro ran the dog in the Qual that you took 4th. And yesterday's qual was his first time handling.

But I agree with Ted, you're making a big deal out of some tough quals with great competition. Sounds like you are happy with how your dog ran yesterday, so that's good. Keep at it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
We had a great training session today , we did a couple of blinds ( 200 yards and she was a Lazer) 3 marks the lining drill and the push pull drill . It looks promising but let's find out later on, I need to take my knocks and learn the ropes .

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
With my Rowdy I went AKC route when the previous two dogs I was running HRC. We failed our first four akc master tests. I joined a training group with a pro friend and then it came together. My friend with his dog Ace who has 6 master national plates and an srs title also flunked first four master tests.
It takes some experience at the new venue as a handler and understanding what's coming.
Good luck.

Reactions: Tobias

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
We had a short training day this morning, 2 blinds @ 350 to 400 yards long and she never went more than 15 yards on either side of the line. We ran with the wind and the temperature was 78 , on a side note she went into heat 5 days ago just a year and a half from her last one . We're looking forward to the fall events this year.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts