RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you breeders I have a few questions on timing a breeding. How many of you use progesterone testing and how reliable has it been for you? What do some of you use for the signs that tell now's the time to load up and head to your stud dog? Looks like I will be driving a minimum of 8 hours to a stud so looking for some insight on how to know it's time to go. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have used progesterone testing twice. First try we had 11 and I will get back to you on the second but it's looking promising! Before we used the testing it was pretty much get the bitch to the stud around day 10. She could say it's go time from then to as far out as day 17. If you have another male close you could test with mother nature. The minute she starts flagging, load her up and get on the road!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Why dont you use fresh chilled to eliminate the driving time. You would still need to do progesterone but at least you would not have to drive the 8 hours.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Do progesterones, when she hits 5 drive there 2 days later and breed.

G

·
I would make the drive and get the natural breeding. Plan on staying a few days just in case. For some out of towners I have bred the day they arrive than the next day before they go home. I like to cover more time than that but in some cases its not possible. I make sure progestrone tests are done but in a few cases my male doesn't care what the test said shes ready or shes not. Years ago we took our girl to oregon to be bred ended up staying a week and no puppies. Good Luck if the male is a proven stud it may make a faster

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
For those of you breeders I have a few questions on timing a breeding. How many of you use progesterone testing and how reliable has it been for you? What do some of you use for the signs that tell now's the time to load up and head to your stud dog? Looks like I will be driving a minimum of 8 hours to a stud so looking for some insight on how to know it's time to go. Thanks
I won't breed w/o doing progesterone anymore. So far, so good. I like to know when (w/in a window of reason) my bitch is due, in case of problems closer to whelp. When spending the kind of time and $$$ doing a good breeding, I want to use all the tools I can to maximize my chances of a full litter.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I won't breed w/o doing progesterone anymore. So far, so good. I like to know when (w/in a window of reason) my bitch is due, in case of problems closer to whelp. When spending the kind of time and $$$ doing a good breeding, I want to use all the tools I can to maximize my chances of a full litter.
Same here, and with frozen, which is what we have done the past two times, you live or die by progesterone and LH. Waiting for the end of the month for ultrasound to see how we did.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have done it both ways. When breeding naturally, the only differance is the window you have with the stud. Breeding the old way takes longer.
Keith

·
Registered
658 Posts
Are you guys doing the progesterone testing at a vet or using a DIY kit?
Testing at the vet, you need a vet specializing in repro that can run tests on site for same day results. It takes about an hour for the machine to complete the test and deliver results.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good luck Matt, it can be a rollercoaster ride of cash and emotions particulary with frozen. We've had a one pu, and and eight pup litter, and next week we are hoping to ultrasound a belly full of big block Ford motors. If you are planning on frozen, the search for the best in your area, ask a lot of questions and go visit. If there is not a suitable repro candidate in your area then consider finding a great one and shipping your dog to them well in advance of ovulation and boarding her there through the process. It cost more but you are looking for the best possible outcome.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Definitely go with the progesterone tests if you have an 8 hr. drive; you don't want to waste time if she's not ready. Old rule of thumb was days 10-14 but, bitches ovulate at different times during their cycle, I've had them ready the first week and one that isn't ready til day 21 or 22 and a bitch that's never been bred may not be as obvious with the signs that she is ready to breed. I'm not familiar with the DIY kits, but I also have one of the best repro vets on the east coast nearby so I get them done there. Getting one done now in fact, took her in today because she's showing signs of being ready and I won't be able to get one done Monday because I'll be in traffic court. A good repro. vet can also tell you the ideal dates for live breeding, and AI if needed, either side by side, fresh chilled or frozen. With shipped semen you have a smaller window of breeding dates, and if you have to travel it's helpful too. Ask other breeders in your area who they recommend, because a good repro. vet is invaluable--and not just for prog. tests; they are better at ultrasounds, xrays and god forbid, tough deliveries.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Testing at the vet, you need a vet specializing in repro that can run tests on site for same day results. It takes about an hour for the machine to complete the test and deliver results.
I don't have that luxury of same day testing where I live, but can get results the next morning. I try to get the last appt of the day so that the courier can p/u and get the blood to Fedex to the testing lab in Seattle. I also keep a graph on all my girls and look at trends and have gotten fairly good aobut being able to predict when 5ng is most likely going to happen. In addition to that, I'm using the Chill 5 extender so the semen has a few extra days in case she stalls out or if things happen over a weekend when testing cant be done. If I were doing frozen, I'd want to be even more accurate but Chilled seems to give a little bit of wiggle room.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts