RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is proper protocol for tipping your pro?

Hunt Test passes/ Titles

A Grand or Master National Pass...

Derby/ Qual win or placement....

Open Placement/ Win

FC title day?

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Usually I have tipped and been tipped for titles... Do what you feel is best. You're pro is being paid for the job they are doing for you so don't think you have to tip.

It's up to the individual. I would recommend nothing overly pricey but thoughtful.

Angie

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
I don't think there is one. Not much tipping goes on. In the last eight years I have received only five tips (extra time with owner, difficult dogs). And I don't expect them. I get paid for what I do and that is enough.

A tip to me is paying on time and being appreciative of the work I did.

edit: changed 3 to 5. If it will help the tips were modest: $100, 40, 40, 50 and 50.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've heard of everything from nothing (He's/she's just doing what I pay him/her to do.) to an African Safari. Guess it just depends on the client and how they roll.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Personally, I would rather keep it to a Christmas/Holiday card and maybe a birthday card. However, I have seen cases where it can really get out of hand.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Good question...

Last time I was with my pro and his wife, bought their meal and going to get some pictures made for him

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
My dog was only with a pro for about 4 months, but I was blown away with the results (he was in early transition when sent off). I gave the pro a box of cigars as a sign of my appreciation. I don't think it was expected, but it seemed appropriate to me. This was a HT pro BTW, not field trial. He has been back a couple of times for much shorter periods of like 2 weeks to one month and I didn't do anything except pay for his services on those occasions.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
As someone that makes a living on gratuities I encourage it and with a pro it can come in many different ways , but cash is the gift that keeps on giving

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
No obligation, but everyone likes and is motivated by a little something extra. I think buying a dinner or a bottle of wine/alcohol is always a nice touch. Little things go a long way. Many, many, many years ago I owned a construction business and every week I would take one of my crews to lunch (rotating them so they all got lunch once a month). It cost me a hundred bucks or so each time and none of them expected it from me. By doing this I actually saved thousands of dollars by having a great relationship with them and letting them know how much they were appreciated.
If you do want to do it, this is one of those times when it really is the thought that counts.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Careful tipping a pro. Unlike cows, they usually get right back up. :p

·
Registered
952 Posts
Most pro's get a handling fee in addition to their normal monthly fee, so there is no need to tip, IMO.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I tip my pro with:

Christmas gift
Gift card
I buy steak dinner
Pay for hotel rooms, booze

I just offered to pay for a hunting trip to SD... She may be too busy training???

I like to do little extra things like this for her. She is really good at what she does!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Most pro's get a handling fee in addition to their normal monthly fee, so there is no need to tip, IMO.
There is probably no "need" but my pro never handled my dog in a test, so he never received any handling fees. I would just meet him the day/night before at the hotel or wherever he was training local to the test and take possession of my dog and run him and then Sunday afternoon put him back on the pro's truck for the drive home. Pretty convenient, but not like he wasn't going to be there running other dogs anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts