RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

If your not planning to breed a male working retriever, would you.... (this is not to correct behavi

• Neuter ASAP

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well it depends. If the dog seems he might be a little laid back, not alot of fire I would let him go to maturity. But if he was a fire breathing,leg humpin, spawn of satan I would have his jewels in a glass jar so when he tests me I can show him who the top dog in this kennel is.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
To neuter or not to neuter:

There is no "not to neuter" option. :?

The only options available are: when?

How about why? +'s and -'s

Tim

S

·
0 Posts
Does neutering help with an alpha dog personality? It is a constant struggle with my 6 month old golden (the beast pictured in my avatar) trying to get across I'm the boss. I always win, but if this would help it would save me some blood pressure pills..... :lol: .

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Oh Shayne,,, You mentioned belt ya Baby!!!!!!!

Anyway.....

One will never change temperment..... It is what it is..... If one has a great retriever and neuters him or her, will that reduce the style of said dog. Style= the pleasing way the dog retrieves and delivers the bird.

I'm not sure to where it came up recently..... but was it mentioned that a neutered female is doing quite well at the national level??????

Angie

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Angie B said:
Oh Shayne,,, You mentioned belt ya Baby!!!!!!!

Anyway.....

One will never change temperment..... It is what it is..... If one has a great retriever and neuters him or her, will that reduce the style of said dog. Style= the pleasing way the dog retrieves and delivers the bird.

I'm not sure to where it came up recently..... but was it mentioned that a neutered female is doing quite well at the national level??????

Angie
Four mos old dogs don't have style... they just run like hell!!! That little bit of extra drive the pup may have could make or break him in FF and basics.

When dealing with rookie trainers, dogs need all the drive they can get - as often times that drive serves as an error buffer that will compensate for training mistakes. "Write that down". HAHAHA I'm gonna start using that. Watched Van Wilder for the 20th time last night... total genius.

Lookin forward to the upcoming belt session.

Shayne

·
Registered
381 Posts
Shayne Mehringer said:
Four mos old dogs don't have style... they just run like hell!!! That little bit of extra drive the pup may have could make or break him in FF and basics.
That's no argument. You are not going to neuter the pup until 6 months anyway. Very few vets will put a 4 mth pup under anesthesia, especially if the only reason is to get them snipped.

Latisha

·
Registered
323 Posts
caliber said:
Very few vets will put a 4 mth pup under anesthesia, especially if the only reason is to get them snipped.

Latisha

Bull. seen it done as young as 6 weeks and most times it is done before 15-16 weeks. Most Vets will do it as soon as the pup has it's "Last" series of shots...so they feel safe with them staying in the clinic.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Cray Stephenson said:
caliber said:
Very few vets will put a 4 mth pup under anesthesia, especially if the only reason is to get them snipped.

Latisha

Bull. seen it done as young as 6 weeks and most times it is done before 15-16 weeks. Most Vets will do it as soon as the pup has it's "Last" series of shots...so they feel safe with them staying in the clinic.
That's different. "Early spay & neuter" is done at a very young age, often before pups are sent home to the new owners. I can't quote vet stuff, but it is my understanding that it is a different procedure.

Latisha

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
IMO I think it is better to neuter/spay after puppyhood.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Shayne, darling, your so full of Sh**!!

When your done speculating and really know what your talking about, then we'll talk about neutering the dog in training at whatever age.... Because, "darling" it really does not matter... "they is what they is".... gonads or not......

Angie, the gal who knows what she is talking about,,,,, experience is everything.....

What color is your belt????? Hmmmmm?

B

·
0 Posts
Steve Shaver said:
What about the not at all option???
Although i just now have my first retriever i have had other hunting dogs in the past and i have not nutered them. I am not vet but i would think it would cause them to somewhat loose their hunting drive.

·
Registered
323 Posts
caliber said:
I can't quote vet stuff, but it is my understanding that it is a different procedure.
but you did...you said
That's not the case. They will put them under and the procedure is the same. When I say I've seen it done, that means I've watched it. Not just heard of it happening. as for it being a different procedure, the procedure is identical whether at 6 wks or in adulthood (with the exception of cutting off the baggy scrotum on really hangy dogs)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Shayne Mehringer said:
Angie B said:
What color is your belt????? Hmmmmm?
Why? Are you wanting to make sure your panties match for the spankin? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Shayne
:shock: Did he just say that! :shock: ................. :lol:

·
Registered
381 Posts
In retrospect, I should have wrote "Very few vets I know will put a 4 mth pup under anesthesia." My knowledge of early spay & neuter comes second-hand from others who are familiar with it, or have had it done on their pups. Thus "I can't quote vet stuff." Cray, if you have first-hand experience with it, I am not going to argue.

Regardless, I am not convinced that neutering a dog at any age is going to affect the hunting drive of the dog. To paraphrase Angie, "They either got or they don't."

If neutering is the only difference that could "make or break" a pup in basics, than I don't think I want that pup. I want the pup that has enough desire to do the work on his own and not have to rely on the extra testosterone.

So, let's turn this around. What about spaying a bitch? Would it take away drive??

Latisha

1 - 20 of 29 Posts