RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Would you test breed this dog?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Here is my take in this purely hypothetical:

If she was purchased primarily to be my competition dog, then I would not breed her early. I would carry on with the Grand Plan. If she was my once-in-a-lifetime bitch, I might never breed her at all. That is just me.

If she was purchased to be primarily a brood, then I would prove her capabilities to my satisfaction (not being one to rely on pedigree alone). Then I would breed her early (around 2 years) to be sure she could reproduce. Having satisfied myself that she is fertile and a good mother, and now having pups to keep an eye on their progress, I would then go about campaigning her while keeping tabs on that first litter. All things being OK, then after another year and a half to 2 years, I would then retire her to brood bitch status.

As far as breeding before 2 years old, I just don't see the point. I have never had my bitches mis-cycle because of being athletic. Gopher is a ribbed-up stick of a dog, but she cycles every 6 months religiously. It's not the same with dogs as it is with humans.

Lisa

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.