RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, hopefully the fires end.

But I really want to take my boy to the Colorado mountains this summer.

We are going mid August.

I'm thinking within an hour or so from Durango. We want to do the train, horseback, raft, and some atv.

I need a cool trout stream within walking distance of the cabin we rent.

This one looked perfect but was booked during our time...

http://durango-colorado-cabins.com/welcome-to-your-durango-colorado-getaway/about-o-bar-o/

Anyone got something just like it close to Durango?

We need something secluded with a cool trout stream!

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Ken
cant help with a resort on river, but I would make a strong suggestion to you to research the UPPER Dolores river.

The time of year you are planning, I would suggest you get up high in elevation,and concentrate on the small back country streams an lakes, many are accessible as day trips from a home base in durago

Gooser

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
The San Juans are just spectacular.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear you Moose. I assume your suggestions are due to snow melt and stream conditions?

I just want my boy to be able to wade a cool stream and have a little fun. Taking a full day trip would be tough on the youngster.

For me, I could spend a week on a river and never see another soul.

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Go on line
search DURAGLERS

durango fly shop

Great bunch of guys. You can call. Ask about the West Dolores river.
Its a fork of the delores
when it gets in the upper section in Natioan Forest, easily accesable
aome limited campgrounds, but many places to get a kid fishing

The flyshop guys will be very happy to help you

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Gut, I will give you the coordinates and which flies to use, my family will be there in two weeks and my niece's boyfriend is a part time guide, let me see if we can put you and Gage on some fish

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Ken I know you were just in Montana last Fall, but we are incredibly green this year with over 260% normal precipitation this Spring. Rivers in the Western part of the State should be high and cool all summer.

John

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Ken

http://www.durangomountainresort.com/index.cfm/fa/category.display/category_id/74

Not a cabin! Not even close,, But we have stayed here... Very Nice. On a golf course.. Very nice...
I would fish during the day,, Diane would shop and spa!
These are Very nice accomdations just north of Durago on 550... Very nice... They have great food also... VERY NICE.. Check wasnt so nice...:):)

I would Take Bon up on his guides reccomendation for gettin a kid on Fish...

Gooser

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ken- There are lots cabins near Durango. One year we stayed up on Lake Vallecito, with good trout fishing in the inlet stream and outlet stream. Also good ATV up into the San Juan Mountains.

The Animas River (flowing through Durango) is also a great trout river, BUT. Do not miss a half day guide trip for you and your son on the San Juan River at the outlet of the Navajo Dam. The best day of trout fishing I ever had. You will get your monies worth. You can arrange it through Abe's Motel in Navajo, NM.

Good Luck and Have Fun

Ross

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
I am afraid that this year with low snowpack Rivers by mid august will be hit or miss. Especially the Lowland rivers like the Animas and lower Dolores.

Its always hot in Durango in Mid August... maybe not hot in Texas terms,, but way to hot for me.. Thats why I suggest you go high.

The west dolores river near the town of Duton, south of Telluride, is a small high stream. Full of nice size rainbow. also brook trout and small cutts. It is a bit of a drive from Durango proper, but I just bet you will want to experiance the San Juans, so that area is one of my favorites.

I have backpacked all through that area..

The big lakes are a draw . They are well stocked, but draw crowds as well. Some of the cabins around Vallacito, Lemon ect will be booked well in advance. Its a popular area for Tourists. The train, the mesa verde does draw crowds.

I agree the float down the San Juan below navajo dam is a nice trip,, but again.. A low elevation destination in Mid August will be hot. The scenery isnt what you would call spectacular. The draw is the fish. (large) They want VERY SMALL flies, (24-26) light tippet. Some do fish The famous San Juan worm,, but really the fish are fixated on small midge larva.. Not a trip in my opinion for a small kid..

Get up in the High country. Just about every small stream or creek will hold good populations of Brook trout. Fun for kids to catch. They are voratious, will attack most anything, and pound for pound :):0 put up a good fight. Watch for Hoppers, use a good pattern, or mearly catch one and place on a hook.. The kid will have a ball.. Fresh brook trout cooked on a willow branch much like you would roast a Hot dog is just a wonderful meal....Bones and all. :):)

I am jealous!!!

I sit ,right now, (9:00 P.M.) in a dead end job, that owns my soul!!:):)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ken I know you were just in Montana last Fall, but we are incredibly green this year with over 260% normal precipitation this Spring. Rivers in the Western part of the State should be high and cool all summer.

John
Montana is definately my favorite destination, but I need something a little closer to Texas. Leaving on Sunday, coming back the next Saturday.

But, we will surely be up in the big sky country soon enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts