RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick recap of recent topics on my little chocolate pup.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74768&highlight=Too+much+dog

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80714

Today was our 5th derby. She was a mess and I was extremely unexperienced thru the first 3. Her issues were coming out of a heat cycle and hunting situations where birds were landing in her lap, now being asked to run hundreds of yards. My issues, complete unexperience, but I desire to soak in everthing I can and learn the ropes (regardless if it's a derby or not; Green is an understatement).

We ran back to back derbies Friday and Saturday. She had a decent run going yesterday, but I made the error of talking to the judges on a downwind water series. She's been handled alot recently for going back to the old fall. I guess my voice carrying across the water was enough to confuse her. We made it to the third series, so that was an accomplishment for us. I was disappointed in myself but proud she was running strong.

Last night, she cut her pad once we got home. I was borderline a scratch for today's event. I decided to drive out and get an opinion from some friends/pros/much more exprerienced dog folks. I decided to run based on some outside input.

I haven't been doing this long, especially FT's, precisely derbies; but I thought she had a great day. No hooked gunners, no thought of old falls, and very small hunts on her worst series (#2).

This was the Port Arthur derby. Awards came and they made their way thru jams, reserved jams, 4th, 3rd.....and I'm thinking, I know my dog ran pretty darn good. Surely I ran good enough to hear her number called. 2nd is called and first is......Rocky Hill's Texas Lady! My little chocolate dog excelled on a day when several dogs had amazing days. I should have put sunglasses on, because this is the closest thing I have to seen to a kiddo exceeding and it was a bit overwhelming.

I can't take responsibility for much of this. Kick Wichman and his crew have trained my girl. They have been patient thru my curiousity and desire to understand. Mike Page created the breeding. Numerous folks have provided coaching, hints, offered up advice that have helped ME tremendously. Lady will be sleeping in my bed tonight. I'm not sure how you reward a dog that loves to work, but I hope they sense the love from somone who is so proud of their performance.

Big win for the little guys I think, but I hope this is the start for a long road ahead. Thanks to everyone that has helped me/us along the way.

Regards,

One Proud Dad

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great Job for the Texas Lady! Hope you can run a few more Derbies! Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

Linas

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Big Congrats!!

ADUCKed will now become addicted.

Good going.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Congratulations !!!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That is awesome......big CONGRATS!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,461 Posts

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Hahaha you are an addict! She got you to swallow the hook, line and sinker!!!! There is no escape now!!

Congrats....where's the pictures?!? ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hahaha you are an addict! She got you to swallow the hook, line and sinker!!!! There is no escape now!!

Congrats....where's the pictures?!? ;)
I agree ... hook, line and sinker! We do need the pics! An amazing dog will bring more amazing moments - keep those sunglasses handy!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats to you and your pup. I felt bad for you at the south Texas trial. You have a nice dog.
Thanks everyone! The South Texas Trial was just another learning experiece for me. I heard they didn't finish on the first day, so maybe it was meant for me to screw it up!

Were you in the grey shirt?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Yes I was in grey shirt on Friday. How were the marks of south Texas compared to port arthur. I have been to quite a few derbies and south Texas may have had the tightest marks I've seen and your dog did well. The 4th series yesterday morning was run with gun stations basically in line with each other and on that same pond and dogs had to run right thru the old falls of the 3rd series.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not as tight, but a nice water series. I didn't laser the gunners, but I would say there a little longer, especially the go birds. Much flatter running grounds, lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts