RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. im trying to get my dog ready for the Hunt Test in Virginia on March 10-11. Its pretty cold up here now, but do you think it will be too cold for a Water series or is there no such thing? thanks

jay

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
bsballdreamer said:
hey guys. im trying to get my dog ready for the Hunt Test in Virginia on March 10-11. Its pretty cold up here now, but do you think it will be too cold for a Water series or is there no such thing? thanks

jay
Nope you'll have a water series. Depending on the judges, be ready for anything. That is if it's Master. Chances are they'll be more forgiving in the junior and senior when it comes to poor conditions but don't bet on it.

Angie

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'm not attending a test in NC on 3/3 for the same reason. But am planning on going to NC on 3/17 for a Master test.

Last March when I judged in NC, we did make our water marks and blinds shorter because of the weather conditions and we knew that handlers had not been in the water much.
My experience, dependant upon the judges, is that they are aware of the very cold water this time of the year, and set their tests accordingly.

The "little" 60 yard water blind gave us all the answers we needed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, if it is too cold, then more than likely there won't be any water.....just ice. Skim ice can be busted up with a boat, waders, dogs etc. Thick ice, as a judge, I would not run a series because of possible break through.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
bsballdreamer said:
this is my first master test and im freaking out. thanks a lot.
Alcohol will help you out here. :lol:
There are also certain drugs that will adjust your attitude, and calm you down. Many of these drugs are frowned upon by law enforcement agencies. :cry:

All of this is normal feeling however. You will not be the only one feeling the jitters! :lol:

G

·
Steve Bean said:
Well, if it is too cold, then more than likely there won't be any water.....just ice. Skim ice can be busted up with a boat, waders, dogs etc. Thick ice, as a judge, I would not run a series because of possible break through.
In Virginia a year ago, they were out breaking ice for 2-3 hours so we could run a test....

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

-K

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
bsballdreamer said:
this is my first master test and im freaking out. thanks a lot.
LOL! Thats my favorite part of running! Have tons of fun and report back! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:shock: thats what ill look like at the line. ive played sports forever, but i swear i dont think ive ever had the jitters anywhere near this bad. i guess thats what happens when you're outside of your comfort zone. it should be fun though and i might have to take some of those special meds you were talking about. :lol: ill definitely report back to you all. thanks again.

jay

·
Registered
80 Posts
lablover said:
I'm not attending a test in NC on 3/3 for the same reason. But am planning on going to NC on 3/17 for a Master test.

Last March when I judged in NC, we did make our water marks and blinds shorter because of the weather conditions and we knew that handlers had not been in the water much.
My experience, dependant upon the judges, is that they are aware of the very cold water this time of the year, and set their tests accordingly.

The "little" 60 yard water blind gave us all the answers we needed.[/quoe]

RGM Come on man are you for real?
I don't know if its just me or what ,but I believe Anyone who owns a dog and is afraid to put them into "cold water" to retrieve a duck really needs to look @ why they own such a dog .There are Retrievers all across the US AND Canada that "really hunt" in"cold" water with entries that exceed 30 or 40 times a morning with iced coats and durations of 1-2 hrs .A TEST OR TRAIL you pick up a few birds 5 minutes later you can dry them off with a towel and put them in a warm vehicle............
Put them in the drink and try em out you might be suprised they float!

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
When you send in your entry your saying your dog is ready to be judged at the Master level. Come what may, good weather or bad. Judges, at least most, take into consideration the conditions. No one wants a dog sick or injured.

But don't expect a dummied down test just because it's cold and it's the first test of the season.

I used to feel since the early tests were sooo early that they should be a little easier then the tests in the later part of the season. Not any more.

Angie

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hunting a dog in cold weather and running events are different.
There is little pressure on a dog while being hunted, and they know it's a hunting trip.
In an event, they know it's NOT hunting, and the pressure level on the dog is higher, and the dogs feel the pressure generated by the nervousness of the handler.

That's my thought, and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Obviously not many agree with me.

They have over 100 Master dogs registered for the 3/3-3/4 event.!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Lablover,
I wouldn't worry about the water temp in N.C. to much for upcoming tests.
The last 2 weeks of Feb are looking real good. Highs in the upper 60's and lows in the upper 30's and 40's. If it's not a big body of water is should warm up a few deg. anyway. I'm going to the one on March 3rd and 4th. And probably the next 2 weekends also.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Jay, I'm just wondering why you decided to pick that one as your 1st test?
There are going to be several in your own area very soon, including the Double Header in Dover Del. the 23rd-35th.

Bert

·
Registered
80 Posts
lablover said:
Hunting a dog in cold weather and running events are different.
There is little pressure on a dog while being hunted, and they know it's a hunting trip.
In an event, they know it's NOT hunting, and the pressure level on the dog is higher, and the dogs feel the pressure generated by the nervousness of the handler.

That's my thought, and I'm sticking to it. :lol:
lol thats why I like ya man....You will never change.......

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Just so ya'll don't think I'm a wimp, he absolutely smoked his water
marks today. First time in the water since the season ended. It was 60's here today and the same for Thursday. Guess where he'll be! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im really familiar with virginia and i think ill just feel more comfortable going there to get our first master out of the way. im going to go to all of the hunt test that are close to this area. (va, md, de and maybe nc)
i just really want to get Robber his MH to do him justice. he's the first dog that ive owned that has the potential to be something special so its pretty much on me. i cant wait!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
bsballdreamer said:
im really familiar with virginia and i think ill just feel more comfortable going there to get our first master out of the way. im going to go to all of the hunt test that are close to this area. (va, md, de and maybe nc)
i just really want to get Robber his MH to do him justice. he's the first dog that ive owned that has the potential to be something special so its pretty much on me. i cant wait!!!
good luck buddy I use To be the gun captain there for RRRC...Good group of guys....You should have a blast....pass or fail

1 - 20 of 27 Posts